E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New member with 550i and broken rear window :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 04:28 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2010
Default New member with 550i and broken rear window :(

After nearly a year of browsing on here, I thought I'd finally introduce myself and my new E60. A little over a month ago I found a 2010 Carbon Black/Cream Beige 550i for sale in Texas. The Carfax checked out, No claims in the national insurance database, and nothing but routine maintenance in the service history, so I flew down to check it out. Cosmetically it checked out and I took it to the local dealership to do a PPI. All they found was a burned license plate bulb, worn wipers, and a slow oil leak from the vacuum pump, and the SA said that it's on the good side compared to the PPIs they do. So I signed on the dotted line with the seller.
It's got:
M sport, navigation system, Logic 7, Heads up display, cold weather package, heated rear seats, rear sunshades, and folding rear seats.

Unfortunately when the transport company delivered it 2 weeks ago, the stupid driver put it with the rear window facing forward on the trailer and elevated it above his cab, and a small stone struck the rear window. Since it's tempered, it cracked in a thousand places. If it wasn't for the window tint, it would have fallen apart into the car and let in all the dirt/water/salt from the road.

Their insurance company ignored me for a week and a half before getting back to me and it’s moving at a snails pace with them. I want it fixed so I can start driving it, so I called AAA to file a claim, though I don’t want to pay my deductible since it didn’t break while I had possession of it. My insurance won’t let me get it fixed at the dealer, and wants it done at Belle Tire! The place that Lexus refers glasswork to is on the “Approved list” for AAA but they and AAA refuse to use OEM glass, even though the car is only 4 years old and the OEM list price for the window is only $500.

Is there anything special about the OEM glass that the aftermarket glass doesn’t have? Like special lamination, tint, acoustic sound layer, rain repellant coating, or something with the antenna/defrost? Anything to help convince the insurance that aftermarket < OEM.

I refuse to have anything but OEM put in the car and I want it completely restored to the condition it was in when I bought it in Texas. The local dealer will also bring someone in to re-tint it to match the others. It’s already been sitting in the garage for just over 2 weeks now, so I’m pretty much losing money for every day that passes and it’s not being driven.

Besides the window this is what I plan to address:
-I picked up a set of used Rial Salerno wheels with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 with 75% of the tread left and TPMS sensors and installed them with new BMW center caps.
-Vacuum pump leak - I'll clean the area and after a few days of driving to see where it's coming from and figure out what needs to be fixed. I found the DIY to fix it Thanks!
-HUD - it's low and the speed is cut off, so I'm going to adjust it. According to the service history, it was adjusted at the first oil change so the PO must have been pretty tall. I found the DIY to adjust this as well, Thanks!
-iDrive says the front brakes need to be done in 2500 miles but the tech who did the PPI measured them at 6 mm, so they still have a while to go.
-Change the transmission fluid (car currently has 43K) to ensure it's longevity, as well as start changing the oil every 8-10K instead of the 13K intervals this car has been through.
-The Passenger fog light is a little loose, so I'll address that when I put yellow bulbs in there.
-Tools/first aid kit/warning triangle are missing from the trunk so I'll eventually pick those up.
-Take a look at 3rd party warranty options

Last edited by cakes; 02-20-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:18 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Pretty sure HUD has special glass window that is not on models without HUD. Check Realoem for the various windshields BMW specs out.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:06 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2010

All E60s use the same window, the HUD has nothing to do with the rear windshield.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:31 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by cakes
All E60s use the same window, the HUD has nothing to do with the rear windshield.
Missed the rear window part
Old 02-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 E60 530i 6 Speed Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

don't bother with the TRANS fluid. Its totally fine. Waste of money if you do
Old 02-22-2014, 02:18 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Razzy530
don't bother with the TRANS fluid. Its totally fine. Waste of money if you do
ZF recommends fluid replacement between 80,000 - 120,000km, or no longer than 8 years on its automatic transmissions.

The claimed "lifetime fluid" mantra is completely bogus. 80,000km roughly translates to 49,000 miles, so OPs car will definitely be coming due. It is NOT wasted money. Not performing routine, recommended service on a transmission that results in catastrophic failure certainly is.

A 6HP26 transmission replacement carried out by your BMW dealer will cost you roughly $9000. Nine THOUSAND DOLLARS. A fluid change is less than a tenth of that cost, maybe less. It's around $300 if you do it yourself.

OP, good luck with the car.

Last edited by KyleB; 02-22-2014 at 02:22 PM.