E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New and Lost, any mod ideas for a 530xi

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 04:47 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 525xi
Default New and Lost, any mod ideas for a 530xi

About 30 days ago I had purchased an 06 525xi, however due to an electrical issue the dealer had to swap me out with an 07 530 xi. Not to bad of a swap, plus I gained the push button start, navigation, and an aux port. So now I am not sure as to where to go or what to do as far as mods go. I don't have very much money, and Im trying to just be fully content with my new purchase until I can afford a newer 535 or 550. Just from being on this site I have learned that my year is killing my headlight fantasy, and I dont have the balls to DIY my headlights for some Orion's. Therefore I think I'm just going to buy some MTECH V3's and keep it moving. As far as wheels I am spending my last dollars on 166 rims. Anyone have any ideas on more speed? should I go cold air? what's the best sounding exhaust for the E60's? I think after the wheels I am going to look into an mtech kit. Although like I said I am open to any fun ideas that you guys may have. Please feel free to shoot me some fun ideas. I am new to the bimmer game, and can't wait to start a legit mod.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi Jet Black/Black Dakota Leather

Did you end up getting the 166 wheels? I'm trying to do the same for my '06 530xi but lots of conflicting info on on fitment for the all wheel drives.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:56 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 525ix (N52 Engine)

Welcome to the E60 Family! Hopefully you are enjoying the car

Unfortunately... the 525ix/530xi are the models with the N52 motor. The N52 motor was not really designed for modding in mind. To gain any reasonable power of this engine you are going to have to dish out a good amount of money. And even at the end of the day when you look on the power to money ratio you might be a little disappointed.

I got a 2006 525xi about 2 - 2.5 years ago, and I was super excited, but after a year of ownership I wanted to make it more fun. I started to look into mods. All i could find is this:

-BMS Box (around $300), you only gain about 12-15 hp and 12-15 torque
-ESS Supercharger ($5,000), that gives you around 70-100 hp (includes all the hardware and even the ECU tune)
-aFe intake (around $500), they promise some hp gain but with my experience, you wont feel it, it might help the car sound better tho.
-Stage 3 intake manifold (around $1,500 to $2,000), its a intake manifold that came on the 330i. It supposed to add like 40-50 hp, YOU WILL NEED TO TUNE YOUR CAR FOR THIS TO WORK. Although a few people say its not worth it.

The N52 is a lightweight engine, if you have time, search the internet for more info on it. Since its a lightweight engine (because of the materials used and the construction), throwing a turbo on it is really risky. Although one guy who owns a E92 (328i) ended up boosting his (he has the same motor) but he ended up spending around $10,000 on the build. This also included a new transmission and few other things)

Your best bet would be just to forget about the headlights. You can either spend around 800-1000 bucks for a company to customize your lights or you end up paying a lot to get LCI headlights and then having them coded. If you are DIY person it would be a little bit cheaper. Or maybe find a 2nd set at a junk yard and try to do those. Thats what i am going to do if I find a set.

Being a Xi (AWD) suspension options are pretty limited, although i noticed some companies are helping us out! If you would like coilovers expect to spend between ($1,300 to $3,000) for a set.

For wheels, It took me about a full year to find something for my car, which now I am regretting a little bit. The recommended offset for wheels for Xi models is 35. If you go any lower with the offset you will start to see issues. My front wheels are 35 and are fine, my rear wheels are 30 and i rub the wheels on bigger bumps. My car is also lowered so thats why I rub, if you were to stay stock suspension you would have no problems.

Right now iv been trying to be content with the car, I really like the styling of the E60. But the more i look at what I actually want the less I want to mod the car and I just want to get like a 550i E60 or something and mod that instead since it would be worth it to me since I want something that would throw me in the back of my seat every time i smashed the gas. I have a feeling i could battle that with a BMS box since that remaps throttle response. Making your car "feel quicker". For the time being at least. I might end up buying bumpers or something for it, and maybe getting a 2nd car (for fun). Im also trying to save for a M4. I just graduated college and thats my dream car, I hope to have the keys to one in about 3-4 years from now. Iv been in a dillema with my car for the past 7 months. But I try not to make any big finacnial decesions. Id love a new car but anything i actually want I cant afford comfortably or is super expensive. I wanted a new car to build credit, but i feel like if i end up throwing a supercharger on mine or maybe just buying parts here and there that would be a better start to build my credit vs being stuck with a car for the next 5 years and paying 20k on it that you KNOW you will get rid of for a different car. My E60.... i have no idea what ill do with it.... or even will get rid of it. lol