E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

new here, any chance of some help please?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mystic Blue Nov 2004 5.30d SE :: Bluetooth :: Prof Nav :: TV :: Auto :: Beige Leather :: 18'' M Sport Alloys :: Folding Mirrors :: Headlight Washers

Hi All,

Am new year (just posted my "HELLO" in the new members section)

Wondering if anyone has any advice please as I am really happy with my 5.30d, only got it 6 days ago, BUT......there is 1 issue which BMW just dont seem to be able to resolve.

Car is immaculate, 2004, SE..there are no comms, nav or audio extras or enhancements in it.

The issue is that after listening to cd,cd-changer or radio on a semi-loud volume for more than 3-4 minutes you get this awful sound coming through...as if there are blown speakers (like a poorly tuned radio station). It gets worse if you dont adjust the volume down. Turn off the system for a few mins, power it back on and you get crystal clear audio for another 3-4 mins.

BMW dealer (who I got the car from) have heard the problem, we thought maybe a faulty amp or head unit...BUT....after 3 days in their workshop I got told today that BMW tech department are aware of this issue in the range...and there is nothing in place to fix it.

You can imagine what I told the dealer to go and do to himself.

Am I missing something there? Has anyone else had similar experiences with audio and how was it resolved?

I am tempted to tell them I dont want the car back unless the issue is resolved..even if it means a complete audio transplant.

I am really mad about this...I love the car but have only driven it once...any help would be appreciated.

Zimguy
Old 06-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

Actually this is my first post. I've been a lurker for a while... Anyway I have a 530i 2004. When I got it I was in the same situation as you. My problem might be somewhat different, but I was also having a speaker popped as sound. I agree it does sound like there was a blown speaker, or in this case speakers. I took this up with the dealer, which they responded they can't replicate the noise and was turned away. Anyway I was driving down the road one warm day and the system started popping and then broke into a full static noise drowning out any music that was on. I caught the audio on my cell, took it back the dealer and they had the car for 3 days there after. The issue I had was electrical, and the dealer was able to replicate it, but only after what seemed like a tooth pulling event. I want to say the problem wasn't the stereo, but rather a circuit the audio system passed though. It was some circuit that was not grounding properly, which caused at first the popping noise and ended up going to a full static noise. In the end I got it fixed, but like I said it was extremely difficult to pinpoint the issue.

Good luck~!

Jay
Old 06-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Here is the closest matching symptom I could find in the Tech Bulletins to your problem. Maybe your dealer already tried this but worth a shot.

The whole SIB is quite long so I included it as an attachment and this short portion for those that might do a search function.

SI B65 12 06
Phone, Navigation Systems June 2007
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. 65 12 06 dated December 2006.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Popping/Crackling Noise from Audio System

MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series) from 7/03 to 2/06 production

E63, E64 (6 Series) from 11/03 to 2/06 production

E65, E66 (7 Series) from 1/03 to 3/06 production

E90, E91 (3 Series) from 3/05 to 2/06 production with Premium Package (ZPP) or BMW Assist? (SA 639)

SITUATION
The customer may complain there is a popping/crackling noise coming from the audio sound system. The complaint may have started occurring after the vehicle software was updated. This noise can happen with or without telephone usage.

CAUSE
The Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) within the Network Access Device (NAD) may have been corrupted.

PROCEDURE:

Duplicate customer complaint.

Perform a short test on the complete vehicle using the DIS or GT1.

Check the vehicle history report on DSCnet to see if the vehicle is covered by service bulletin B84 23 06 (defect code 00 84 31 01 00). If applicable per DCSnet, complete this work prior to continuing diagnosis.

Check the integrity of the NAD by using the procedure outline in SI B84 25 06 as repair as outline in the bulletin.

Check the audio system to make sure the popping/cracking noise has been eliminated before returning the vehicle to the customer.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code
84 11 92 02 00

SIB_651206.pdf
Old 06-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by BimmerJay' post='440537' date='Jun 27 2007, 05:42 PM
Actually this is my first post. I've been a lurker for a while...
Welcome!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d SE Jet black / anthracite Advanced air con Sun protection glass USB Style 244 wheels

[quote name='cobradav' date='Jun 27 2007, 11:51 PM' post='440563']
Here is the closest matching symptom I could find in the Tech Bulletins to your problem. Maybe your dealer already tried this but worth a shot.

This is the reason why this forum is so successful and I for one enjoy looking on here. No matter how obscure the query, someone is likely to know the answer!

Being a recently joined member, I have found the information on here really useful when ordering my own car.

... just felt like giving some positive feedback!
Old 06-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='440614' date='Jun 27 2007, 06:21 PM
Welcome!
+1. welcome and eenjoy the forums guys.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:07 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Lord Monkey' post='440712' date='Jun 28 2007, 07:21 AM
This is the reason why this forum is so successful and I for one enjoy looking on here. No matter how obscure the query, someone is likely to know the answer!

Being a recently joined member, I have found the information on here really useful when ordering my own car.

... just felt like giving some positive feedback!
A HUGE +1 on this. No matter how obscure or seemingly insignificant the question, someone on here always has an answers, ideas or both. It's no wonder that this forum is now the second thing I read (after the news) every morning. Great stuff!!

MacSid
Old 06-27-2007, 11:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Given that the date of your car does not match the affected vehicles in the service bulletin noted above, it definitely sounds like your car has a blown speaker or speakers. If you can hear the poor audio after 3 to 4 minutes, just have the service manger listen to the audio with you after the audio has been on for 3 to 4 minutes. My son had a similar experience on a 330 and it was a blown speaker.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pharding' post='440751' date='Jun 28 2007, 08:30 AM
Given that the date of your car does not match the affected vehicles in the service bulletin noted above...
Did I read something wrong?

The car in question is a 2004 and the SIB covers:

E60, E61 (5 Series) from 7/03 to 2/06 production...
ABC
Old 06-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

I got my ('04) car last year, and when I had the music on reasonably loud, I got a sound very like a torn speaker diaphragm on the drivers side. (I have HiFi speakers but no other enhancements). It happened most of the time, but not always. The problem?? Would you believe, it was one of the steering wheel buttons that was quite loose and resonating, causing the muffled type sound and distortion. I got used to driving with my thumb on the button until the Dealer replaced the whole lot of the wheel switches (FOC). It's worth a try!

Quick Reply: new here, any chance of some help please?