E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New guy saying hello.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 03:10 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the community! Damn you lucky it came with RPI. It must sound awesome!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 BMW 530I

Welcome to the forum!!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Navy 550I

Old 06-10-2012, 07:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by StormTrooper
Hello all! I've lurking in here for quite some time, finally registered as member. Got a 2008 AW 550i m-tech. It already came with RPI exhaust and ram air scoop. Love the sound! Sorry, but I'm still trying to post pics. Probably not possible with the iPad. I will try it with my pc later. Anyways, love the site and I've learned more about the car in here than reading the manual.
Welcome

As a fellow New Jerseyier start your your wheel and tire back-up plan especially if you have low profile (e.g. 275/30x19) tires. Insurance is one alternative many consider a necessity.

That aside, enjoy your new to you ride!!
Old 06-10-2012, 07:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

Originally Posted by StormTrooper
One question, is the sport package supposed to be lower than the non sport? My wheels (172s) 19s are flushed with the fenders. Ppl are always asking did I lowered it on springs.
Plus it has DINAN badge in the trunk (thinking about removing it) not sure if it has ecu or what.
Welcome and I would have to say that hearing that your car has RPI scoops, etc. and a DINAN badge AND that your wheels sit flush with the fenders, I might assume that your car has the Dinan suspension as well as plenty of Dinan upgrades. I also have a 2008 550i sport with MTech and with the sport suspension my car sat lower than the non-sport, however it was not flush. When I added the Dinan suspension, the car settled down very nicely to flush. A quick look at the struts/shocks will tell you. If they are yellow, they are likely the Koni that come with the Dinan setup. If not, they are probably stock stock (that is unless another type of suspension was installed but most others are a bit more aggressive than the Dinan drop and you would probably be able to visually identify the car as being dropped at first glance pretty plainly). Also, I would take the car to a shop (preferably one that installs Dinan) and have them check the ECU and verify the software version-pretty certain you have Dinan by the sounds of things. In fact, if you have a Dinan 5 badge, You almost certainly Do have the Dinan software. Each of those badges must be "applied" for and signed off by Steve Dinan personally before they are sent out and your car is also then assigned a specific serial# with Dinan. Dinan works off of a points system. You receive a certain amount of points for each type of Dinan upgrade that is installed on the car and you have to do a considerable amount, at a pretty costly price (trust me-I know-mine is a Dinan 5 as well :-), in order to gain the 10 points necessary to qualify for the badge.

Why would you remove the Dinan badge? It is not easy to come by and the means by which it was attained definitely sets your car apart from other stock 550is on the road. It sure sounds like you may have bought a LOT more car than you expected.

Dinan Badge Points System

-Mike
Old 06-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Welcome to the forum!!
Old 06-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

welcome new guy
Old 06-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Nice ride and welcome.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Alpine White

Thanks again fellas. To Mike: I understand about the Dinan point system I' m just skeptical that the previous owner probably just wanted to put a badge on the trunk. Regarding the suspension, I can't see the shocks at all unless I jack up the car. Its handling is very impressive for such a heavy sedan. Overall I think the suspension is well composed. Engine wise, when I put the car in DS mode it shifts aggressively. It won't up shift til past redline which makes me a little nervous. I don't want over rev the engine too much. But the throttle response is slow when I drive normal. That's only after 2700 rpm this thing just flies!
The only Dinan authorized dealer near me is over an hour away. One of these days I might make a trip over there. U know what they say: if it broken, don't fix it. The reason I want to remove the badge is that I had the car for 5 weeks now and almost everyday kids with civics and eclipses, etc..tries to provoke me to race. I'm past that stage but still have love for nice cars. Thanks for your input. Btw, I've spent too much time here it's becoming a problem. Now I know what addicts feel like
Old 06-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Alpine White

Thanks to you guys, most of the mods in my sig I learned it from here

Quick Reply: New guy saying hello.