E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forum and BMW - E60 issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 06:38 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535i
Default New to forum and BMW - E60 issues

I am reaching out to see if anyone can help calm my nerves. I have had my 09 535i for about 2 months and have loved every minute of it. Great car and performance. This weekend on a trip I hit 61k and change. I had already ordered everything that I think I need to complete a 60K service and was planning on completing it this weekend. I have new plugs, air filter, daytime running lights, oil, and oil filter on the way.

So back to my problem, we are getting ready to head for home after eating some breakfast. Upon start up my car is sputtering and coughing at idle, I give it some gas, RPM's up, settles back down and levels out. Then I get an error stating "Engine Malfunction, limiting power." I shutdown the car, I had just happened to borrow an OBDII scanner from a friend, I was thinking of purchasing one for Dash Command. I pulled the diags noticed there was a couple of error codes, cleared them, shutdown the car, restarted, everything seemed to be normal. I got home without issue. The next day the same thing happened on the way into work. Again I cleared the codes, got to work without issue. That evening on the way home same thing, I cleared the code. This time I was about half way home and gave it some gas, the car fell flat on it's face, trpped the same warning and cut my power. I limped home in shame and worried about the fate of my new car.

This morning on the way in, same thing as previously mentioned. This time I decided to keep a data log with Dash Command. Got into work imported and I have no idea what I am looking at. I was able to catch the codes this time, P15DF and P302C are the codes I am seeing.

If anyone has any thoughts or insights I would appreciate it. Additionally if anyone has instructions what and how to reset the service parameters after I complete my work this weekend I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks
Old 06-10-2014, 07:19 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

High Pressure Fuel Pump, or HPFP. I'd put money on it. Call your dealer, BMW extended the warranty on HPFP failures to 10 years/100,000 miles IIRC. N54 eats fuel pumps for breakfast, lunch, dinner, appetizers, and midnight snacks.

Service parameters are reset through iDrive and/or the gauge cluster. there are plenty of step by step threads out there for it.

best of luck.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:45 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 550i w/M-Tech, Sport and Cold Weather Pkg

/\ /\ +1 on that. KyleB knows his stuff and the HPFP issues are well noted. Press the Menu screen button then straight down on the I-drive button to open, then Info Sources, then Service Info. Resetting the service intervals is done using the trip odometer button on the lower left of your dash cluster with the ignition in the first position (or one push of the start button without your foot on the brake), not running
Old 06-10-2014, 10:13 AM
New Members

Default Thanks for the information

Thank you both for the information. I have scheduled to have it looked at on Thursday morning. I will let you know how it ends up. If either of you have any "have to have" information, links, etc. for a 5 series owner let me know. I am looking for ways to improve performance and looks. Going to install Burger air filters, and the Bosch spark plugs this weekend. Also changing oil and filter with Royal Purple 5W30 High Perf Street and K&N oil filter.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:33 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by lmont1985
Thank you both for the information. I have scheduled to have it looked at on Thursday morning. I will let you know how it ends up. If either of you have any "have to have" information, links, etc. for a 5 series owner let me know. I am looking for ways to improve performance and looks. Going to install Burger air filters, and the Bosch spark plugs this weekend. Also changing oil and filter with Royal Purple 5W30 High Perf Street and K&N oil filter.
That's all good stuff

Are you taking it to BMW? If so, do some research on HPFP failures so you're 'armed' so to speak when you go in there. If there's one thing BMW doesn't like doing, it's warranty repairs. Don't put up with any b.s. I wouldn't install any of those parts on the car until after your running issues are solved.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:10 AM
New Members

Default All done

I wanted to give you guys the final outcome.

So I took the car to a dealership, they confirmed your suspicion it was the HPFP. It was replaced under warranty. They also replaced some taillight sockets that were under recall. So all went well, I picked it up on Friday and it ran like a champ. Changed the oil and filter this weekend, new Burger Tuning BMS air filters, and replaced all the spark plugs. All is good, so what do you think the next performance upgrade should be? Should I start a new thread for that?
Thanks for your help and input
Old 06-16-2014, 11:27 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 535i

Jb4. Burgermotorsports.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:43 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the JB4. Another good preventative mod is their oil catch can.