E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New E60 Owner Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, new to the boards here.

I just picked up a CPO 2006 5 and am enjoying every bit of it so far. A couple of questions, and my apologies if they are repetitive from past topics.

-One thing I wish I had that I did not get on the car are the xenon headlights. I love the look of the headlights, but the yellow is a bit mundane...how can I go about changing this, the most cost effective way? Is it as simple as just changing the bulb(s)? I'd consider getting a retrofit kit, but I'm tight on what I can spend at the moment. Any recommendations?
-My car has chrome outlining the windows, which IMO looks classy, but I've considered getting the shadowline...for those of you who converted the chrome to shadowline, how much did this run you (parts and labor)?
-Tint: This is the first on my to do list. Been looking at other's E60s and it seems Formula One's Pinnacle Line Tint is among the favorite here. I'm leaning towards that. 35% sounds like the perfect percentage but then I saw pics of one with 50% and it looked real classy. Opinions? Other film recommendations?

Thanks...and yes I did a search but I figured starting a post on everything I want to know would be easier with updated info.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:40 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

I use 3M tint film 35% all the way around. 50% is too dark IMHO. Congrats and welcome to the forum!

Originally Posted by JetCFI' post='923131' date='Jun 24 2009, 11:35 PM

I just picked up a CPO 2006 5 and am enjoying every bit of it so far. A couple of questions, and my apologies if they are repetitive from past topics.

-One thing I wish I had that I did not get on the car are the xenon headlights. I love the look of the headlights, but the yellow is a bit mundane...how can I go about changing this, the most cost effective way? Is it as simple as just changing the bulb(s)? I'd consider getting a retrofit kit, but I'm tight on what I can spend at the moment. Any recommendations?
-My car has chrome outlining the windows, which IMO looks classy, but I've considered getting the shadowline...for those of you who converted the chrome to shadowline, how much did this run you (parts and labor)?
-Tint: This is the first on my to do list. Been looking at other's E60s and it seems Formula One's Pinnacle Line Tint is among the favorite here. I'm leaning towards that. 35% sounds like the perfect percentage but then I saw pics of one with 50% and it looked real classy. Opinions? Other film recommendations?

Thanks...and yes I did a search but I figured starting a post on everything I want to know would be easier with updated info.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by myfootsmells' post='923137' date='Jun 25 2009, 01:40 AM
I use 3M tint film 35% all the way around. 50% is too dark IMHO. Congrats and welcome to the forum!
50% is actually lighter.
the percentage, is the amount of visibility. example, 100% is no tint.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:52 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

oh wait you're right. it's the percentage of light that can pass through... brain fart. get 35% it looks gooooood.

Originally Posted by turboawd' post='923141' date='Jun 24 2009, 11:48 PM
50% is actually lighter.
the percentage, is the amount of visibility. example, 100% is no tint.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JetCFI' post='923131' date='Jun 25 2009, 02:35 AM

Welcome and congrats!!
Please update your signature with details, I assume yours also 525.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by JetCFI' post='923131' date='Jun 25 2009, 02:35 AM
-One thing I wish I had that I did not get on the car are the xenon headlights. I love the look of the headlights, but the yellow is a bit mundane...how can I go about changing this, the most cost effective way? Is it as simple as just changing the bulb(s)?
Yes - you can change the halogen bulbs to the "cool blue" ones. Bi-Xenons are far better and you should definitely look into getting them when you have the funds.

My wife's MB actually has the Bi-Xenon housings, but with halogen bulbs. I don't know if its worth it (assuming you can get the part) to buy this for your car though.