E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Dunlop RF Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 05:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

Last month my dealer replaced my OEM Dunlops with Michelin Pilot sports under warranty I was thrilled, they even paid for the alignment. After driving the car for a couple of weeks, I felt there was to much road feel at certain speeds the ride just was not as smooth as it was with the old Dunlops. I called my SE and brought the car back to have the wheels re-balanced. I was shocked when my SE called me me to say the BMWNA wanted to change the tires again, my new Pilot Sports only had 200 miles on them so I'm thinking he's crazy. His explanation was that Dunlop and BMW had worked together on a replacement tire that was designed for cars with active steering and my car would perform best with these new tires. They did not have any as yet but would in a week, tomorrow I get my car back. I believe they are planning to contact their customers and change out all original Dunlop OEM tires. I'll post again after I get my car back, but I cannot say enough about how well my dealer and BMWNA have treated me. Vista Motors is a first class dealer.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by jochet' date='Jun 9 2005, 05:29 PM
I believe they are planning to contact their customers and change out all original Dunlop OEM? tires.
[snapback]138102[/snapback]

REALLY??? I'm interested!
Old 06-09-2005, 09:05 PM
JDN
Contributors

I'm still in hang fire with them replacing the split wheels. No final verdict yet -- working through the dealer. They really lucked out on the Dunlops because when I replaced, it evidently was with the new design. I have aksed them to take that into consideration on the wheel adjustment.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by jochet' date='Jun 9 2005, 05:29 PM
Last month my dealer replaced my OEM Dunlops with Michelin Pilot sports under warranty I was thrilled, they even paid for the alignment. After driving the car for a couple of weeks, I felt there was to much road feel at certain speeds the ride just was not as smooth as it was with the old Dunlops. I called my SE and brought the car back to have the wheels re-balanced. I was shocked when my SE called me me to say the BMWNA wanted to change the tires again, my new Pilot Sports only had 200 miles on them so I'm thinking he's crazy. His explanation was that Dunlop and BMW had worked together on a replacement tire that was designed for cars with active steering and my car would perform best with these new tires. They did not have any as yet but would in a week, tomorrow I get my car back. I believe they are planning to contact their customers and change out all original Dunlop OEM? tires. I'll post again after I get my car back, but I cannot say enough about how well my dealer and BMWNA have treated me. Vista Motors is a first class dealer.
Replacement tires sound great - I am still waiting for mine, which I will have changed out during my 15k service. I have heard about a new version of the Dunlops to correct some of the noise problems - I believe changes to the compound, but have not heard about a design change to the tires with regards to Active Steering.

However, I am a little concerned about your feedback on the Pilot Sports. I have heard nothing but good things about the Pilot Sports on this vehicle and that is what I was planning on going to when I had to replace my Dunlops out of my pocket.

Tires designed for active steering sound great, but have you looked at the replacement cost of the Dunlop RF's. I believe you are looking in the $1800+ range, where the Pilot sports are about $1150.

See if you can obtain a service bulletin on this from your dealer, or where they got the info from.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

Does Michelin Pilot Sport exist in RFT version in the US ?

In france not as far as I know.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Jun 10 2005, 02:03 AM
[quote name='jochet' date='Jun 9 2005, 05:29 PM']Last month my dealer replaced my OEM Dunlops with Michelin Pilot sports under warranty I was thrilled, they even paid for the alignment. After driving the car for a couple of weeks, I felt there was to much road feel at certain speeds the ride just was not as smooth as it was with the old Dunlops. I called my SE and brought the car back to have the wheels re-balanced. I was shocked when my SE called me me to say the BMWNA wanted to change the tires again, my new Pilot Sports only had 200 miles on them so I'm thinking he's crazy. His explanation was that Dunlop and BMW had worked together on a replacement tire that was designed for cars with active steering and my car would perform best with these new tires. They did not have any as yet but would in a week, tomorrow I get my car back. I believe they are planning to contact their customers and change out all original Dunlop OEM? tires. I'll post again after I get my car back, but I cannot say enough about how well my dealer and BMWNA have treated me. Vista Motors is a first class dealer.
Replacement tires sound great - I am still waiting for mine, which I will have changed out during my 15k service. I have heard about a new version of the Dunlops to correct some of the noise problems - I believe changes to the compound, but have not heard about a design change to the tires with regards to Active Steering.

However, I am a little concerned about your feedback on the Pilot Sports. I have heard nothing but good things about the Pilot Sports on this vehicle and that is what I was planning on going to when I had to replace my Dunlops out of my pocket.

Tires designed for active steering sound great, but have you looked at the replacement cost of the Dunlop RF's. I believe you are looking in the $1800+ range, where the Pilot sports are about $1150.

See if you can obtain a service bulletin on this from your dealer, or where they got the info from.
[snapback]138149[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm not sure what the truth is regarding tires, ride etc. BMW and my dealer so far have been great. My guess is the Pilot Sports were a mistake and BMWNA wanted the newest version of the Dunlops on their 545i. We just have to wait and see? As far as cost goes for replacement tires, your right, hopefully prices will drop a bit when I'm ready for another set.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by FJPM' date='Jun 10 2005, 03:41 AM
Does Michelin Pilot Sport exist in RFT version in the US ?

In france not as far as I know.
[snapback]138160[/snapback]

No, the Pilot is only available as a great high preformance regular tire.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Jun 10 2005, 01:03 AM
[quote name='jochet' date='Jun 9 2005, 05:29 PM']Last month my dealer replaced my OEM Dunlops with Michelin Pilot sports under warranty I was thrilled, they even paid for the alignment. After driving the car for a couple of weeks, I felt there was to much road feel at certain speeds the ride just was not as smooth as it was with the old Dunlops. I called my SE and brought the car back to have the wheels re-balanced. I was shocked when my SE called me me to say the BMWNA wanted to change the tires again, my new Pilot Sports only had 200 miles on them so I'm thinking he's crazy. His explanation was that Dunlop and BMW had worked together on a replacement tire that was designed for cars with active steering and my car would perform best with these new tires. They did not have any as yet but would in a week, tomorrow I get my car back. I believe they are planning to contact their customers and change out all original Dunlop OEM? tires. I'll post again after I get my car back, but I cannot say enough about how well my dealer and BMWNA have treated me. Vista Motors is a first class dealer.
changed out during my 15k service. I have heard about a new version of the Replacement tires sound great - I am still waiting for mine, which I will have Dunlops to correct some of the noise problems - I believe changes to the compound, but have not heard about a design change to the tires with regards to Active Steering.

[snapback]138149[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 06-10-2005, 04:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Isal,
I contacted Dunlop and they told me "With the new DESIGN change I shouldn't have a noise problem".May you know something that they don't about a compound change.
cheers
vern
Old 06-10-2005, 10:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by jochet' date='Jun 9 2005, 06:29 PM
Last month my dealer replaced my OEM Dunlops with Michelin Pilot sports under warranty I was thrilled, they even paid for the alignment. After driving the car for a couple of weeks, I felt there was to much road feel at certain speeds the ride just was not as smooth as it was with the old Dunlops. I called my SE and brought the car back to have the wheels re-balanced. I was shocked when my SE called me me to say the BMWNA wanted to change the tires again, my new Pilot Sports only had 200 miles on them so I'm thinking he's crazy. His explanation was that Dunlop and BMW had worked together on a replacement tire that was designed for cars with active steering and my car would perform best with these new tires. They did not have any as yet but would in a week, tomorrow I get my car back. I believe they are planning to contact their customers and change out all original Dunlop OEM? tires. I'll post again after I get my car back, but I cannot say enough about how well my dealer and BMWNA have treated me. Vista Motors is a first class dealer.
The PS's are hardcore performance tires, you're going to get a good deal of road feel. My Potenzas are the same way, that's what I expected and wanted and that's what I got.

Quick Reply: New Dunlop RF Tires