E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Door Seals & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 06:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had several things done to my 545. I was having some minor problems and took my car to the dealer for the issues to be resolved. First they gave me a loaner (X3 3.0) and I must say that SUV drives not too bad on highway (although it is slow), but slow turns made me realize how great the Active Steerring really is!

1.) My Door seals creaked so badly I could barely stand driving with windows up. With new doors seals, noise completely Gone! (this is going to be a worldwide recall, according to my BMW SA). Silence YES!!

2.) Active steering has failed a couple of times & Lower gear shifing was rough. New Software was installed (18.1) and I must say my ride is driving Very, Very smooth!! I was actually shocked at what a difference this software change has made.

3.) Anti Trap failure message on both Rear Windows. Dealer replaced all window motors thinking this would solve the issue (the software update should have also fixed this). The bad news is this did not fix the problem and I will have to take this back again to try to fix this weird failure. It worked when I left the dealer, but when I rolled up my windows for the first time I got the error on the I-Drive.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:58 AM
MAK
Members

HI
WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED TO HEAR A PROGRESS REPORT ON YOUR DOOR SEAL FIX. I AM STARTING TO HAVE THE SAME CREAKING NOISES FROM THE DOORS ON MY 2003 UK SPEC. AND AM THINKING OF BOOKING IT IN TO THE DEALER FOR INVESTIGATION. FOR SOME REASON THIS CREAKING IS NOT PRESENT ALL THE TIME BUT SEEMS TO BE MORE EVIDENT WHEN OUTSIDE TEMPRETURES ARE HIGH WHICH IS NOT THAT OFTEN HERE IN SCOTLAND. I HAVE HEARD NOTHING OF A WORLD WIDE RECALL BUT HOPEFULLY IF TRUE WE WILL NOT HAVE TO DRIVE WITH THE RADIO TURNED UP TO HIDE NOISES WHICH SHOULD NOT COME WITH CARS OF THIS CLASS. HAVE ALREADY HAD SOME OTHER RATTLES AND NOISES CURED BY THE DEALER SO HOPE THIS WILL BE AS SUCCESSFUL.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Chi Town,

Wow. I've heard of the creaking/squeaking from other forum members too. I believe most were coming from the rear windows, whereas the front passenger and driver side windows were fine.

Are you saying that you heard the squeaking even with the windows closed?

If you're up for it, you can also try driving >120mph. Some members here were also complaining of a "whistling noise" coming from the windshield at speeds over 120mph.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Chi-Town Racing' date='Aug 25 2005, 04:38 PM
1.) My Door seals creaked so badly I could barely stand driving with windows up. With new doors seals, noise completely Gone! (this is going to be a worldwide recall, according to my BMW SA). Silence YES!!

[snapback]163193[/snapback]
I would really like to hear more about this recall.

My old '04 E60 was a squeaky bitch but this new one is silent (2.200 km).

But I think I hear the creaks coming...
Old 08-27-2005, 11:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by Ricracing' date='Aug 27 2005, 08:18 AM
My old '04 E60 was a squeaky bitch? but this new one is silent (2.200 km).

[snapback]164019[/snapback]
From which window?
Old 08-28-2005, 05:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

There have been extensive posts on this topic that you may wish to research. At 11,000 miles my 545 started to sound like a 300 year old wooden sailing ship. It creaks with every uneven dip, rise, etc in the pavement at slow to moderate speeds. I am getting the new door seals next week.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

After having the "old" carboflo treatments done several times, finally had all four door seals replaced last week with the new seals. I was a bit nervous after reading several posts about the new seals being worse than the old seals. Well, after a week I can say all is quiet in my car!! I'm not ready to declare the new seals a success yet, though, as I know it takes a while for the squeaks to start. But at least they seem to be working so far!!
Old 08-28-2005, 10:43 AM
MAK
Members

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Aug 28 2005, 07:13 AM
[quote name='Ricracing' date='Aug 27 2005, 08:18 AM']My old '04 E60 was a squeaky bitch? but this new one is silent (2.200 km).

[snapback]164019[/snapback]
From which window?
[snapback]164248[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 08-28-2005, 10:47 AM
MAK
Members

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Aug 28 2005, 01:09 PM
There have been extensive posts on this topic that you may wish to research.? At 11,000 miles my 545 started to sound like a 300 year old wooden sailing ship.? It creaks with every uneven dip, rise, etc in the pavement at slow to moderate speeds.? I am getting the new door seals next week.
[snapback]164279[/snapback]
Hi Pharding
Please let us know how you get on with the replacement seals next week. Sorry Guys the post above was down to my butter fingers.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MAK' date='Aug 26 2005, 11:58 AM
HI
WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED TO HEAR A PROGRESS REPORT ON YOUR DOOR SEAL FIX. I AM STARTING TO HAVE THE SAME CREAKING NOISES FROM THE DOORS ON MY 2003 UK SPEC.? AND AM THINKING OF BOOKING IT IN TO THE DEALER FOR INVESTIGATION. FOR SOME REASON THIS CREAKING IS NOT PRESENT ALL THE TIME BUT SEEMS TO BE MORE EVIDENT WHEN OUTSIDE TEMPRETURES ARE HIGH WHICH IS NOT THAT OFTEN HERE IN SCOTLAND. I HAVE HEARD NOTHING OF A WORLD WIDE RECALL BUT HOPEFULLY IF TRUE WE WILL NOT HAVE TO DRIVE WITH THE RADIO TURNED UP TO HIDE NOISES WHICH SHOULD NOT COME WITH CARS OF THIS CLASS. HAVE ALREADY HAD SOME OTHER RATTLES AND NOISES CURED BY THE DEALER SO HOPE THIS WILL BE AS SUCCESSFUL.
No need to shout!!! I took this TSB Squeaky!!! into my local dealership and they have fixed it... The sound of silence - it's great

Quick Reply: New Door Seals & More