E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New Car Smell

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 03:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Everything is harmful now a days... un natural growth of our foods... etc etc etc... we still eat them rigiht? what can we do? just *shrug* and SUCK it up... get it suck it up? HAHAHHAHAHA Ok bad joke.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:48 PM
Contributors

my silly question...if having a gf is as good as a new car smell i want one!
Old 04-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='269417' date='Apr 15 2006, 07:02 AM
Automakers engineer the odors into their cars. Ever notice how new BMWs smell different than new Lexus.. smell different than new Mercedes? But a new BMW smells like any other new BMW.
And, hence, old BMWs smell alike too - different than MB, etc... You can always tell the smell of a BMW, no matter the vintage. Old BMWs sort of smell like well-worn leather mixed with a touch of engine oil aroma - kind of like an old airplane cockpit.

I've found that the Zaino leather cleaner and conditioners help keep that new car smell around.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='269629' date='Apr 15 2006, 05:10 PM
kind of like an old airplane cockpit.

Hahaha I take it you know what BMW built before cars...
Old 04-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Members

My Ride: An 1994 Ashamed-Mobile Partially Loaded, Leather. Radioless, Heatless, Gas-needleless.

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='269629' date='Apr 16 2006, 12:10 AM
And, hence, old BMWs smell alike too - different than MB, etc... You can always tell the smell of a BMW, no matter the vintage. Old BMWs sort of smell like well-worn leather mixed with a touch of engine oil aroma - kind of like an old airplane cockpit.

I've found that the Zaino leather cleaner and conditioners help keep that new car smell around.

So if I were to "blind fold" some of the seasoned bimmer owners that believe that all bimmers smell alike and all Benz smell alike etc etc. Or that each car maker has its own unique smell. You would be able to tell the difference? I'm willing to put money on this theory!
Old 04-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='269648
So if I were to "blind fold" some of the seasoned bimmer owners ... you would be able to tell the difference?
I'd flunk that test - I don't sit in MBs.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

The smeller the better
Old 04-16-2006, 02:29 AM
Senior Members

New car smell - I'm not even sure that really exists anymore.

In the past yes - but the new car smell from my recent cars is massively diminished.

I guess this is cause manufacturers have already taken steps over the last 5 years to dramatically reduce the amount of VOC's produced.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

So if I were to "blind fold" some of the seasoned bimmer owners that believe that all bimmers smell alike and all Benz smell alike etc etc. Or that each car maker has its own unique smell. You would be able to tell the difference? I'm willing to put money on this theory!

You could blindfold me, and put me in a new Lexus, BMW or Merc.... and I could tell you INSTANTLY which car is which.

No joke.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:03 AM
Members

My Ride: An 1994 Ashamed-Mobile Partially Loaded, Leather. Radioless, Heatless, Gas-needleless.

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='269743' date='Apr 16 2006, 11:50 AM
You could blindfold me, and put me in a new Lexus, BMW or Merc.... and I could tell you INSTANTLY which car is which.

No joke.
I feel silly asking this, and keeping this thing going but... What are the distinctive air quality traits that make you so sure that you can distinguish? (Not bashing/doubting you , just a question). Does the Lexus come with a vanilla like smell, and the Merc smells like fresh country pines or something? Is it the interior attributes of the car that helps you to distinguish the model type? (keep in mind, your're blind-folded ) Attributes being, the vault like door when you shut in on a bimmer, the feng shui like setting of ergonomics on the dash of a lexus?

Do tell, enquiring minds want to know?

Quick Reply: New Car Smell