E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New car only one Key... need advice.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Hi everyone,
This is my first post..... Bought an 09, 530d sports 10 days ago, 2000miles on clock from beamer Garage.... Part ex for my 525d. Was a 200 mile drive to the garage to pick up... Did the deal then was told that they only had one key.... Was promised that the second key and spare would be posted on..... Still waiting... I was also told that there was only one previous owner... received the log book today and find there were two previous owners.... Just in case the keys do not arrive I would like to know what legal rights I have i.e. can I take car back and get a refund or like for like car? Any advice would be much appreciated as I definitely do not want to be driving a car around knowing that someone somewhere has a set of keys to it.....
Old 10-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Hi and welcome aboard.

To know which legal rights you have we would need to know your location/country!
You could put that in your profile and it will be shown under your username.

If the garage promised you the other keys they will probably really send them to you. But... do you have it as a written statement or just their word?
Is it a certified BMW dealer?

Here in Germany you could return the car because they have been lying about the previous owners.
But again, I don't know which country you are in...

The final question you have to ask yourself is:
Do you trust someone who lied to you? They knew it's not just one previous owner...
Anymore lies? Probably!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Titanium Silver. Bridgestone 760s on Weds Bavaria II 18" wheels, standard sport pack size. Sport, AT. Latest job - NGK Iridium IX plugs installed.

I was given one key when I picked up my used car. I just ordered another key. E60's in titanium are pretty common around here, not really worried about someone with a spare key out there somewhere.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535XI white
Model Year: 2008

09 with two owners and only 2000 miles?
i will not care about the key, i think the dealer can make you a copy if they are BMW dealer, or cover the cost to get second key, not much (<$200)
you will need to care about the history of the car more
maybe ask the dealer for a free report or you can order the history report, if the car is clean no history, key just minor issue i think
Old 10-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='1024986' date='Oct 5 2009, 05:19 PM
Hi and welcome aboard.

To know which legal rights you have we would need to know your location/country!
You could put that in your profile and it will be shown under your username.

If the garage promised you the other keys they will probably really send them to you. But... do you have it as a written statement or just their word?
Is it a certified BMW dealer?

Here in Germany you could return the car because they have been lying about the previous owners.
But again, I don't know which country you are in...

The final question you have to ask yourself is:
Do you trust someone who lied to you? They knew it's not just one previous owner...
Anymore lies? Probably!!!
Yes it is a certified
Thanks for your reply Iceman... Have now set up my personal details... And have just received email from the dealer.... keys are being sent registered post tomorrow..... Panic over hopefully... As for prvious owners ... I was told that it was driven/owned by person at their sister dealership, since new... To find that the car has had 2 owners since Mid June [ first registered] was a surprise...
Old 10-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 08white' post='1025025' date='Oct 5 2009, 06:09 PM
09 with two owners and only 2000 miles?
i will not care about the key, i think the dealer can make you a copy if they are BMW dealer, or cover the cost to get second key, not much (<$200)
you will need to care about the history of the car more
maybe ask the dealer for a free report or you can order the history report, if the car is clean no history, key just minor issue i think
Hi 08 white,
cheers for the info.... Will get on to the report asap....
Old 10-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535XI white
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by turbonana' post='1025028' date='Oct 5 2009, 01:11 PM
Yes it is a certified
Thanks for your reply Iceman... Have now set up my personal details... And have just received email from the dealer.... keys are being sent registered post tomorrow..... Panic over hopefully... As for prvious owners ... I was told that it was driven/owned by person at their sister dealership, since new... To find that the car has had 2 owners since Mid June [ first registered] was a surprise...
car still under factory warranty, if no accident before, you should be worry free as new car
hope you got a really good deal on it, otherwise, if you got used car APR vs new APR 0.9%
Old 10-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by turbonana' post='1024953' date='Oct 5 2009, 11:48 AM
Hi everyone,
This is my first post..... Bought an 09, 530d sports 10 days ago, 2000miles on clock from beamer Garage.... Part ex for my 525d. Was a 200 mile drive to the garage to pick up... Did the deal then was told that they only had one key.... Was promised that the second key and spare would be posted on..... Still waiting... I was also told that there was only one previous owner... received the log book today and find there were two previous owners.... Just in case the keys do not arrive I would like to know what legal rights I have i.e. can I take car back and get a refund or like for like car? Any advice would be much appreciated as I definitely do not want to be driving a car around knowing that someone somewhere has a set of keys to it.....
Due to the recession,BMW (and many other brands) have been pre-registering new cars in the UK to shift stock as pre-owned.Have you checked whether the first owner is the supplying dealer or BMW Group?In buying a pre-registered car,you are actually getting a new car with delivery mileage at a really good price.I know,I've done it!
Old 10-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Definitely get the history, but it sounds like the two owners might be still within BMW.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tooltec' post='1025171' date='Oct 5 2009, 08:07 PM
Due to the recession,BMW (and many other brands) have been pre-registering new cars in the UK to shift stock as pre-owned.Have you checked whether the first owner is the supplying dealer or BMW Group?In buying a pre-registered car,you are actually getting a new car with delivery mileage at a really good price.I know,I've done it!
tooltec.... You are right on... The dealership have been in touch and have said they will write a letter to confirm it....
Must admit to being a little paranoid about buying this car due to awful treatment and useless mechanics from my former dealership...
Now I have a really excellent car and can put aside any suspicions about dodgy dealers...