E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New Car! New Queries?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 01:17 AM
JLS
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My E61 finally arrived yesterday after an agonising 11 week late but she's here and is beautiful! (Pics to come later, work is manic at the moment!)

Couple of things I can't work out and was wondering if anyone could advise?

Sat Nav (prof) - How do you turn it off mid route? Also why does the map not dim at night when you have your lights on - it is very bright in the cabin when dark outside.

Why does the i-drive not save my personal prefs in all menu's once the car has gone to sleep?

How can you change and save the air distribution profiles on i-i-drive?

Extended lights - can you get them to come on without the main internal lights?

Sorry they are all little picky things but I can't work them out through the manual for all I've tried!

First impressions briefly (277 miles driven). First and foremost, an estate has no right to be this beautiful, it really is a work of art for a "practical" car, the 3 litre diesel engine is suprisingly good (although I don't have full access as still running in), rides is better than I thought (18's) and it seems quite happy to be hustled considering it's size, i-drive is not that bad once you play with it for a while, the standard hi-fi upgrade is quite sufficient, auto dimming headlights are very sensitive and do actually work (sorry Iceman) and the adaptive lights really do work!

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:57 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Sat Nav (prof) - How do you turn it off mid route? Also why does the map not dim at night when you have your lights on - it is very bright in the cabin when dark outside.
From the map view (main screen), leftmost field, select the ->* symbol (second from top) and click. This turns off all types of guidance. Or click on the loudspeaker symbol - this turns off voice prompts, but leaves arrow indications on. You can also select one of the two soft-keys on the steering wheel to turn on/off voice: go to i-menu (menu key, then click), select vehicle settings, and there should be an item called user-defined buttons with a number of options.

Also under i-menu, display settings has an option for display brightness offset. I find it strange that the display does not dim at night, though. Mine does - too much in fact when you have your lights on and it's still dusk outside. Have you tried using the interior light dimming (little wheel to the side of the main light switch)?

Why does the i-drive not save my personal prefs in all menu's once the car has gone to sleep?
Good question. I wish I knew. I find it really inconsistent - in some screens it remembers where it was, in others it comes up with the same item every time, and in others still it seems to change at random.

Re-reading your Q - perhaps that's not what you meant - AFAIK it does save pretty much any setting in the key memory; some (e.g. car seat position) have to be enabled through i-menu/vehicle settings/locks (I think - I'm not in the car right now!!!) for the car to re-instate automatically when it is re-started; otherwise it will keep current values. Very few things - the only one I can think of is the lumbar support position - are not saved anywhere, though some people (ZnoD for example) have had issues with getting the key memory to work properly.

How can you change and save the air distribution profiles on i-i-drive?
The high/med/low profiles are set, and you can't change them (AFAIK neither can the dealer). To set individual preferences (saved in the key, I believe), go to air distribution, change things and they should be saved automatically.

Extended lights - can you get them to come on without the main internal lights?
Not that I know of.