E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New Car, 172 Rims....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d F10, Sport Auto, Black, sun protection, Oyster/Black with Anthracite, Ambient lighting.

Have noticed since picking my new car up last week that I get a vibration feeling through the seat at between 60 and 75mph, nothing through the steering. You can see the pasanger seat vibrate, only slightly though. Seems more noticeable on certain road surfaces and can be felt more when I first start my Journey, what I mean is that if i travel the same road and the car has not been stood the vibration is less. I have read other post of people with new cars and 172 rims having a similar problem and was wondering if a solution was ever found or is it the price you pay for 19" rims and comfort seats. The tyres are Continental which I have had problems with before. Thought it could be a balance issue but would have thought BMW would balance correctly from the factory. The steering has no vibration at all so the fronts are fine and cant swop front to back as the wheels are different width.
Any help or sugestions appreciated as I dont really want the dealer to mess with my new car unless necessary
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Members

My Ride: UK 2006 530D MSport. Auto, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Visibility, Media Pack, Sun Protective Glass, Hi-Fi Speaker System, Heated Seats, Enhanced voice control, M Lip Spoiler.

I have don't have any such problems, and I to have Conti 2's....! It is quite possible that you have "thrown" a weight from one of the wheels. They are only stuck on with adhesive on the inside of the wheel. Have a look for any signs of that...
Old 01-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d F10, Sport Auto, Black, sun protection, Oyster/Black with Anthracite, Ambient lighting.

Originally Posted by spareone3' post='377830' date='Jan 13 2007, 11:34 PM
I have don't have any such problems, and I to have Conti 2's....! It is quite possible that you have "thrown" a weight from one of the wheels. They are only stuck on with adhesive on the inside of the wheel. Have a look for any signs of that...
Thanks, just checked the weights on the back wheels, passanger side has 35 and 35, drivers has 50 and 50 so all present!! Maybe the tyres need time to bed in?? only done 400 miles.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 325i Touring E60 530i Sedan

Just go to a rim shop and have them balance/check the rear wheels
Old 01-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jcatral14' post='377875' date='Jan 13 2007, 08:49 PM
Just go to a rim shop and have them balance/check the rear wheels
Did you check the lug nuts? May have one loose.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

check the your preasures... try lowering them, or raising..
Old 01-14-2007, 03:37 AM
Contributors

Also try to distinguish between more road feel and vibration. Because with the 19" rims and low profile tires, you may feel more imperfection on the road than with smaller rims and bigger tyres. Just a suggestion.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

I have had exactly the same issue on my 17" conti wintersetup. Installing aluminium hubcentric rings and rebalancing solved the problem.
But check with all the suggestions above as well.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='377974' date='Jan 14 2007, 12:37 PM
Also try to distinguish between more road feel and vibration. Because with the 19" rims and low profile tires, you may feel more imperfection on the road than with smaller rims and bigger tyres. Just a suggestion.
True!!

Have done a few runs on the same strech of road this morning, first run after car had stood over night, got the vibration through the back of the car at 65 - 70 mph, did a few more miles and did the same strech of road and vibration was much much less, can still feel the road though. Tried it at various speeds on other roads and you can detect a very slight feeling through the car, probably more to do with 19" rims. Anyway have concluded, for now that is, that its the tyres flat spotting when the car is parked, and the fact I have 19" rims so are picking up the road surface. Have had this before with Continental low profile tyres.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

since you say the vibration is more when the car has been stoped, thats because the tyres get cold, as they heat up, the preasure rises to normal... i still suggest checking your preasure..

Quick Reply: New Car, 172 Rims....