E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 'new' BMW owner...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 07:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been a lover of cars since I was a boy (who among us was not?) and when I finally had the money to buy the 'car I wanted' (which, at the time was a brand new 1995 Volvo 850 turbo - fun!), I was hooked on performance. After that was a Volvo V70R, then my Boxster S and E500. While shopping for my E500, I seriously considered the 5-series and did the typical extensive online research I always do. Unfortunately, the Bimmer owners of the time weren't exactly enthusiasts, but image-chasers. Obviously there are a few here who think being a 'poser' is worse than death by water torture, but overall, the attitude with the new, Bangle-ized BMW's is more of a passionate driver, likely what the original US-based BMW drivers were like, as the design was quite funky when the crazy Bavarian sedan came to the States some time ago.

It's a pleasant change, really, and I guess what happened is that the design so polarized the buying public that all that remains are either those who appreciate the forward-thinking design (not me) or those who are passionate about the driving experience (me).

Just wanted to share that - it's a nice thing to see, and vastly different from the E39 buyers I recall on this very internet that Al Gore invented for us all.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'> E60 kicks A$$ </span>

it is now the best of all

you cannot compare this segment to CLASS S and Lambos or Ferraris,

do not take it pal personally JonD

But e60 it is UNIQUE!
Old 08-18-2005, 08:33 AM
Senior Members

For me it was both aspects that you menioned, but styling to me is a superficial view of the world (and I am a product designer!).

The first aspect for me is of course the driving experience, and being able to have a sedan that I can take clients and business associates around in as well as my family, but not give up sporty driving.

The second, which I truly value, is that BMW takes risks. And that allows me to experience the state-of-the-art in handling, in mechanical systems, in electronic controls (and yes that includes iDrive) and even in styling.

I want a car that pushes the best in driving ideas to the market, and doesn't wait for every other competitor to get all the kinks out. I want it now, and I'm willing to be part of the risk that early adopters have.

As for the styling, there are plenty of 'safe' design approaches out there, like the beautiful Audis, and others, but I'm not buying a fashion statement either. I'm buying a leader in something, and something for me can be in lots of areas, and I think these cars will be collectors items in the future because they DO stand out. Good or bad is really not where it lies, it is not fitting in that is almost as important as anything. And that's why I bought-in.

I'm still very happy and don't have one single regret.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Aug 18 2005, 09:33 AM
For me it was both aspects that you menioned, but styling to me is a superficial view of the world (and I am a product designer!).

The first aspect for me is of course the driving experience, and being able to have a sedan that I can take clients and business associates around in as well as my family, but not give up sporty driving.

The second, which I truly value, is that BMW takes risks. And that allows me to experience the state-of-the-art in handling, in mechanical systems, in electronic controls (and yes that includes iDrive) and even in styling.

I want a car that pushes the best in driving ideas to the market, and doesn't wait for every other competitor to get all the kinks out. I want it now, and I'm willing to be part of the risk that early adopters have.

As for the styling, there are plenty of 'safe' design approaches out there, like the beautiful Audis, and others, but I'm not buying a fashion statement either. I'm buying a leader in something, and something for me can be in lots of areas, and I think these cars will be collectors items in the future because they DO stand out. Good or bad is really not where it lies, it is not fitting in that is almost as important as anything. And that's why I bought-in.?

I'm still very happy and don't have one single regret.
[snapback]160684[/snapback]
that exactly sums up my feelings as well. BMW is cutting edge on so many levels, from design through driver focused technology, and I've got total respect for a company that stands out from all of its peers in that regard. It's interesting to see that despite the initial criticism of the E60 design/styling and innovations such as iDrive that so many other manufacturers are essentially copying them.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

I also think that at the price range of the E60 you lose a lot of the younger chest-beating guys that are buying the 3 series to look cool. This crowd is a lot more mature. I only wish that there was a Range Rover forum half as informative and active as this one for my wifes car.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Jet Black/Black, Manual, Sport, Logic 7

I don't think the Bangle'd styling has resulted in more passionate BMW owners - we've just had to rationalize the styling with the exemplary performance. I think the availability of manual transmissions and SMG is an area which clearly separates BMW as the choice of enthusiasts (although most are still sold with step).

IMO, the typical MB buyer is much more status conscious. I have 2 friends who recently traded their old S-classes for new S-classes without looking at anything else. I had suggested they check out the A8, LS430, 745i, etc. but they viewed all of those as a step down in status (they are not enthusiasts). Their salesman at the local dealer admitted to me that this is how they get A LOT of repeat business, despite the shortcomings in the product: the crazy perception that MB is the number one status symbol in the marketplace.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by SteveHI' date='Aug 18 2005, 04:57 PM
I don't think the Bangle'd styling has resulted in more passionate BMW owners - we've just had to rationalize the styling with the exemplary performance.? I think the availability of manual transmissions and SMG is an area which clearly separates BMW as the choice of enthusiasts (although most are still sold with step).

IMO, the typical MB buyer is much more status conscious.? I have 2 friends who recently traded their old S-classes for new S-classes without looking at anything else.? I had suggested they check out the A8, LS430, 745i, etc. but they viewed all of those as a step down in status (they are not enthusiasts).? Their salesman at the local dealer admitted to me that this is how they get A LOT of repeat business, despite the shortcomings in the product:? the crazy perception that MB is the number one status symbol in the marketplace.
[snapback]160794[/snapback]
I firmly believe what u said here. The MB owners I've seen are just like lemings, no passion, just follow what has been drilled in their head.

I, for one, like that I do not see another 6er or even many 5ers in my normal travels. Its not why I bought, but it is a benefit now enjoyed. Some enthusiasts are clinging to their 635s and 8 series and I do not begrudge them that either. Most will not tell u its because its "better" just cutting edge for their time and in a sense "timeless". They are still enthusiastic about their BMW whether or not they like the new direction we have taken up with. And that is good. That is what I think about both the current 5 and 6ers. Cutting edge and will turn out to be icons of a new direction. But in any case between us all it makes for lively and passionate discussion - things we all enjoy here. Not something I would attribute to the MB owners I have come across.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by SteveHI' date='Aug 18 2005, 03:57 PM
I don't think the Bangle'd styling has resulted in more passionate BMW owners - we've just had to rationalize the styling with the exemplary performance.?
[snapback]160794[/snapback]

I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones - I don't have to rationalize the styling - I loved it long before I decided to buy one.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Intersting to hear that in the US the MB is felt to be the premier brand for image. In the UK, MB have a bad reputation for after sales service, and is not held in such high estime.

Out of the German brands its probably BMW, then MB, then Audi.

My veiw of course....
Old 08-19-2005, 01:18 AM
Senior Members

My e60 is my second BMW (I was fortunate enough to own an e46 m3 for a year, phenomenal machine!) - I have no intention of ever leaving the brand. BMW are so far ahead of the crowd it's mind-boggling.

Quick Reply: The 'new' BMW owner...