E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New to BMW and have a few issues. help please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 03:35 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 BMW 525i sport package.
Default New to BMW and have a few issues. help please.

Hello everyone.I will try to make this short.... I bought a 2007 525i w 70K about 3 months ago. Bought a so called bumper to bumper warranty w it ($3K). The 1st time it rained a few days a go I found 2 wet spots in my headliner (back corners by the C pillars) took into a BMW dealer and I was giving a list of issue w the car

1- Sunroof drain clogged_ failed water test.
* will need to replace drains and headliner= $3200, Drains only =$1900
2- Oil filter housing leak.
* Will need to replace housing and seal= $1090
3- Transmission leak
* Will need to replace Sleeve/ seal= $1200
4- Head light wiring damage
* will need to replace head light..no price

The new warranty will not cover anything cuz they are per-exiting issue they say. Since I only drove the car for only 1500 miles. I will be going back to where I bought it from and try to get some answers but what would u guys do?
Old 01-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

First welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about your issues with your new (to you) car.

Issue 1: Common, there are several threads here discussing clogged roof drains.

Issue 2: Not as serious, the gasket you need is about $7 at ecstuning.com, there are also install videos all over the net, most are for the 3 series, but they use the exact same engine so the procedure is the same.

Issue 3: This is also a fairly common issue. I would suggest getting the tranny fluid drained and a new tranny filter put on (ECS tuning also has a tranny service kit with fluid and filter) - again, go to a local indy shop, not the dealer - they will rape you on labor.

Issue 4: This can be done fairly cheaply, you can get pre-LCI (meaning prior to 2008) headlights on ebay for less than $500 and it's a fairly easy thing to swap everything over.

First and foremost though, see if the place that sold you the car will step up to the plate and do the right thing. If not, there are many ways to make dealing with these issues much more reasonable, so you won't feel like you got "stuck" with a lemon. If I can find some threads on these I will post them here for you.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Here you go, hope these help for a start:

Transmission leak:
https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...on-leak-96033/

Oil Filter Housing Gasket:
https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...cement-113877/

Sunroof Drains:
https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...drains-122126/

Again, good luck
Old 01-02-2013, 04:12 PM
New Members

Thanks a lot of the quick response...I will go a head and read up.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:43 PM
New Members

My Ride: '08 535i Sport

I've worked in car dealership management over 10 years, and have NEVER heard of a warranty that excluded "pre exisiting problems." What warranty company is your warranty?
Old 01-04-2013, 02:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Yeah, it sounds like you have just been raped. What a looser dealership. I would call directly to the GM and then start calling NA to file complaints. First of all the dealer failed to do their job inspecting and then selling the car. Interesting how they now quickly find these problems after you purchased it. Maybe read through your warranty and see if it mentions pre-existing conditions..., but a BMW dealer should not be selling anything like that!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:46 AM
Members

Cleaning the stains off of the headliner and pillars is easy. It requires Woolite and water soaked into a microfiber to dab and swirl at the stain, then a clean dry microfiber to dab all of the water out. The last step is the most important. My headliner was horrible when I got the car and this method made it perfect. My wife managed to get eyeliner on it and it still came out perfect.

The other advice you've received seemed great. I'd DIY all you can, just for the piece of mind.

Last edited by BSLNoel; 01-04-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:04 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Texas_Vol
I've worked in car dealership management over 10 years, and have NEVER heard of a warranty that excluded "pre exisiting problems." What warranty company is your warranty?
Originally Posted by tonyb635
Yeah, it sounds like you have just been raped. What a looser dealership. I would call directly to the GM and then start calling NA to file complaints. First of all the dealer failed to do their job inspecting and then selling the car. Interesting how they now quickly find these problems after you purchased it. Maybe read through your warranty and see if it mentions pre-existing conditions..., but a BMW dealer should not be selling anything like that!
I must explain a few things guys... the BMW was a trade in at an Infiniti dealership where I traded in my Truck and bought it. I also bought a "Nissan" Quality guard Plus bumper to bumper warranty. which allows for repairs anywhere not just at Nissan. So I took it to a BMW dealership where they discovered more issues w the car than what I took it in for. So BMW dealership is not the problem, it's the infiniti dealership and the warranty they sold me.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:07 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by BSLNoel
Cleaning the stains off of the headliner and pillars is easy. It requires Woolite and water soaked into a microfiber to dab and swirl at the stain, then a clean dry microfiber to dab all of the water out. The last step is the most important. My headliner was horrible when I got the car and this method made it perfect. My wife managed to get eyeliner on it and it still came out perfect.

The other advice you've received seemed great. I'd DIY all you can, just for the piece of mind.
thanks for the advice. I'm going to try that for sure.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Members

I think that was supposed to be peace of mind. I just read that and laughed, but hard to claim it was a typo.

Getting the water/Woolite completely out makes the stain disappear. If you don't succeed in this step, try it all again. Once you get the water stains out you'll notice all of the other ones you never did.

Quick Reply: New to BMW and have a few issues. help please.