E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New Birdview Navigation Professional

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 08:35 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

The only thing about the M45's is that I could not see it because it was so sunny outside, that I could not see the screen. They have nothing for the shield to keep the sun from making the nav null and void. I did like the view of the downtown buildings, that was nice. But, this adds a nice touch to BMWs Nav...everyone knows that BMW does not have the best Nav in the business.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

The pics only show birds eye in the 10km and 1km range.
If you go down to 200m or 100m, it probably looks nicer and more 'in' the picture.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Originally Posted by andy545' date='Mar 21 2005, 01:32 PM
The pics only show birds eye in the 10km and 1km range.
If you go down to 200m or 100m, it probably looks nicer and more 'in' the picture.
[snapback]104615[/snapback]
Here is 200M
Attached Thumbnails New Birdview Navigation Professional-birdview4.jpg  
Old 03-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I like what they did with the softkeys being displayed. The birdview is not something to loose sleep over. Nevertheless, I will still like get this upgrade though.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:12 AM
Members

Are the streetnames displayed when you zoom in close enough? I notice they aren't present in this pic. Also, is the name of the street you're currently on displayed anywhere? I liked that feature in the SL 500 I drove -- the name of the street showed up in the instrument cluster under the speedometer.

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Mar 21 2005, 12:05 PM
I like what they did with the softkeys being displayed.? The birdview is not something to loose sleep over.? Nevertheless, I will still like get this upgrade though.
[snapback]104630[/snapback]
Old 03-21-2005, 10:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.

Looks a bit like that old Atari video game - Pole Position. Vrrrrooooooooommm!
Old 03-21-2005, 06:42 PM
Senior Members

i think the birds' eye view is a nice upgrade. i don't think we should expect buildings and moving clouds from BMW just yet

but if you think about it, in real life, the birds eye view is how we see the world on the road. its more of a realistic view as compared to what we have right now <_<

BTW, anyone know when 16.1 will make its debut here in the USA?
Old 03-21-2005, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by saurabh' date='Mar 21 2005, 10:42 PM
i think the birds' eye view is a nice upgrade.? i don't think we should expect buildings and moving clouds from BMW just yet?

but if you think about it, in real life, the birds eye view is how we see the world on the road.? its more of a realistic view as compared to what we have right now? <_<

[snapback]104859[/snapback]
I disagree, we should expect this from BMW. They are a forerunner in the luxury class market. Even before I purchased my car, I knew the NAV was not that great, but you know, I have seen websites that look better (not to criticize). I rode in my brother-in-laws car in Japan were he installed an off-the-shelf NAV. It looked MUCH better than BMW's AND it had the buildings. In South Korea, the cab drivers have NAV's that look like something from 2010!

The NAV is good, but is an industry standard that BMW is, they should have consulted some HEAVY hitters in software development and came out with a NAV that is advanced as the 5 and 7 series. Especially when there comtemporaries have NAV that are much more advanced.

Again, not criticizing, just saying what I see.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Mar 22 2005, 12:37 AM
[quote name='saurabh' date='Mar 21 2005, 10:42 PM']i think the birds' eye view is a nice upgrade.? i don't think we should expect buildings and moving clouds from BMW just yet?

but if you think about it, in real life, the birds eye view is how we see the world on the road.? its more of a realistic view as compared to what we have right now? <_<

I disagree, we should expect this from BMW. They are a forerunner in the luxury class market. Even before I purchased my car, I knew the NAV was not that great, but you know, I have seen websites that look better (not to criticize). I rode in my brother-in-laws car in Japan were he installed an off-the-shelf NAV. It looked MUCH better than BMW's AND it had the buildings. In South Korea, the cab drivers have NAV's that look like something from 2010!

The NAV is good, but is an industry standard that BMW is, they should have consulted some HEAVY hitters in software development and came out with a NAV that is advanced as the 5 and 7 series. Especially when there comtemporaries have NAV that are much more advanced.

[snapback]104887[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sorry, this was Ruf. I forgot to log in.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Mar 21 2005, 09:37 PM
[quote name='saurabh' date='Mar 21 2005, 10:42 PM']i think the birds' eye view is a nice upgrade.? i don't think we should expect buildings and moving clouds from BMW just yet?

[snapback]104887[/snapback]
[/quote]
The buidings would have to be on the data DVD. So that would be a NAVTech issue.

Quick Reply: New Birdview Navigation Professional