E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Battery or Recharge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lately my car has been giving me warnings about the low battery. Usually when I don't drive the car for a day and the following day I will start the car with a message on the iDrive "Increased Battery Discharge". The clock will also reset every time this happens. Car gets driven about 20-30 km a day (depends) usually 6 out of the 7 days. Should I replace the battery with a new one or buy a Battery Tender Plus and charge up the battery?

Any ideas?
Old 05-30-2012, 03:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by 07bmw525i
Lately my car has been giving me warnings about the low battery. Usually when I don't drive the car for a day and the following day I will start the car with a message on the iDrive "Increased Battery Discharge". The clock will also reset every time this happens. Car gets driven about 20-30 km a day (depends) usually 6 out of the 7 days. Should I replace the battery with a new one or buy a Battery Tender Plus and charge up the battery?

Any ideas?
You didn't provide any info on how old the battery is.

Likely the tender will buy you some time but in the end you will still replace the battery. The miles driven seems like it should be OK but there may be a real discharge on the battery when the car is supposed to be off.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:37 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

It depends on temperature, usage, charge / drain cycle. I have an 8-year old garage queen with 16,000 miles and the original battery load tests OK. It is trickle charged weekly. I would charge your battery with an intelligent charger. Then take the vehicle to an automotive part store where they do battery load testing for free. You will need to remove the trunk liner to provide physical access to the battery posts directly on the battery.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
+1

If you don't know or if the battery is over 4 years old then I recommend you replace it.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

IMO, the daily mileage you are driving should be enough to keep the car charged. If your battery is old it is due for replacement but if it is relatively new then you could have 'going to sleep' issues. A charger may help but your driving pattern is accomplishing the same result. I see a new battery in your future.
GL
Old 05-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by NoQuarter

Likely the tender will buy you some time but in the end you will still replace the battery. The miles driven seems like it should be OK but there may be a real discharge on the battery when the car is supposed to be off.
Sorry. It's a 2007 about 5 years old.

Originally Posted by vkhong
It depends on temperature, usage, charge / drain cycle. I have an 8-year old garage queen with 16,000 miles and the original battery load tests OK. It is trickle charged weekly. I would charge your battery with an intelligent charger. Then take the vehicle to an automotive part store where they do battery load testing for free. You will need to remove the trunk liner to provide physical access to the battery posts directly on the battery.
I'll give that a try. I have 9 year old Honda still running on its first original battery which I have never recharged.

Originally Posted by pukka
+1

If you don't know or if the battery is over 4 years old then I recommend you replace it.
Originally Posted by Gilgorm
IMO, the daily mileage you are driving should be enough to keep the car charged. If your battery is old it is due for replacement but if it is relatively new then you could have 'going to sleep' issues. A charger may help but your driving pattern is accomplishing the same result. I see a new battery in your future.
GL
It's about 5 years old, new battery is the only way to go I guess.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by 07bmw525i
It's about 5 years old, new battery is the only way to go I guess.
This should only be about a $200 problem if you do it yourself or via an independent mechanic. Don't fall for the dealer $600-$900 service for this.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Members

I just had my battery replaced yesterday with a auto repair shop that?s very trustworthy and reasonable in pricing they installed my battery for about $190 my first battery made it a little over six years. I went to start it on morning and it gave me a quick crazy light show on the displays then nothing so it was time to replace.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

Another similar post was just made earlier regarding battery. Get one from your local AutoZone or PepBoys Etc.. and save a ton of money.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kduff70
I just had my battery replaced yesterday with a auto repair shop that?s very trustworthy and reasonable in pricing they installed my battery for about $190 my first battery made it a little over six years. I went to start it on morning and it gave me a quick crazy light show on the displays then nothing so it was time to replace.

Did they register your battery with your car? If not, the cars old charging pattern may ruin your new battery quickly.

Quick Reply: New Battery or Recharge?