E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New Battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I'm in the market for a new battery so I went to my dealer today to price one out. So I went in expecting that only the agm battery would be available but to my surprise they apparently have some of the white ones still in stock. The service guy is telling me that for the white battery they would just have to register the new one but for the agm they would have to reprogram the whole car in order to tell it that its now got a agm battery. So my question is, is that true? Has anyone switched from the old white battery to the new black battery? and what was all done for this switch? BTW the price difference for the 2 batteries are basically the same both under $200.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

That's somewhat accurate. If you are replacing the orginal lead-acid battery with the same exact type then they "register" the battery by resetting the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor). If you switch to AGM or use a different spec battery then they have to change the values stored in the computer.

Either method requires simple settings changes/executions, but needs the appropriate hardware/software to perform
Old 11-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E-60 530I

can you register the battery on your own? I recently bought a used bavarian tech tool, if one just buys the battery anyone know how to register it, using bavariantech software?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by sachal007
can you register the battery on your own? I recently bought a used bavarian tech tool, if one just buys the battery anyone know how to register it, using bavariantech software?
I bought the battery from the dealer (same spec as original)and installed it myself. Since I didn't have any software to register, I just took it to an independent BMW shop by my place and had them register it for $50. If you have the software, I would try it. If not, just go to an independent and do what I did. In the end it's cheaper than having the dealer install and register.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Well unfortunately I live in a small city with no independent mechanic that I would trust with a bmw and definitely no one that can program as far as I know. I am however in the process of trying to collect all the program files so that I can try my hand at programming, I believe this is the only way to register a battery yourself.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Members

The dealer is telling you the truth. Replace the battery like for like (e.g. replace AGM with an AGM) and you just need to register the battery - very simple procedure with the right tools.

Change AGM to lead-acid or vice versa and the car needs "coding" i.e. reprogramming. In theory just one module will need reprogramming (DDE) but some of the dealer software tools are reluctant to reprogram one module and with the computer plugged in it may flag other updates that are required...so they may insist on reprogramming the whole car to the latest release!
Old 11-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Contributors

Is it worth while switching to the AGM battery? They say they have a lead-acid (white) battery left in stock but do I wnat a battery thats been sitting around on a shelf for who knows how long?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Members

yes this is true. If you go with the white, they will just have to re-register the battery with the IBS. If not then they will have to re-code the car for AGM and when they do this you will need to always visit a BMW dealership in the future. No idependent shop has $25K to waste on the new BMW server and diag tools. Most shops will be using the BMW online tools and a PTT device but you'll pay just as much as dealer because we have to pay a monthly subscription to use online diagnosis tools. Most of the time their server cannot handle the multiple requests either.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EUAutoHaus
yes this is true. If you go with the white, they will just have to re-register the battery with the IBS. If not then they will have to re-code the car for AGM and when they do this you will need to always visit a BMW dealership in the future. No idependent shop has $25K to waste on the new BMW server and diag tools. Most shops will be using the BMW online tools and a PTT device but you'll pay just as much as dealer because we have to pay a monthly subscription to use online diagnosis tools. Most of the time their server cannot handle the multiple requests either.
So what you are saying is once I make the switch to agm battery the dealer will be the only one that has the ability to register another agm battery in the future?
Old 11-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Originally Posted by balbs
I bought the battery from the dealer (same spec as original)and installed it myself. Since I didn't have any software to register, I just took it to an independent BMW shop by my place and had them register it for $50. If you have the software, I would try it. If not, just go to an independent and do what I did. In the end it's cheaper than having the dealer install and register.
Can you send me the shops name balbs?

Quick Reply: New Battery