E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New 550 on the way...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Just got a call from my saleman, the car is due in port in South Carolina on Oct 25th! Another week to ten days after that, it'll be here in New Orleans! The car does have heated front seats, which will be useful for around 5 days a year down here, but it's better than starting the ordering process all over and waiting roughly 8 weeks!
Old 10-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Congrats! Don't worry, the heated seats may end up being good for resale down the road if you find a buyer that's up north...
Old 10-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='484701' date='Oct 22 2007, 01:31 PM
Just got a call from my saleman, the car is due in port in South Carolina on Oct 25th! Another week to ten days after that, it'll be here in New Orleans! The car does have heated front seats, which will be useful for around 5 days a year doen here, but it's better than starting the ordering process all over and waiting roughly 8 weeks!

First off - CONGRATS!! Sounds like an AWESOME car and you certainly seem very happy it's coming!! Secondly, I hate you , as I have been waiting almost 3 weeks and it's still sitting on the docks somewhere waiting for a boat to make the voyage to the USA.....

I bet you can hardly stand it now being so close and yet still a few days away...I'm starting to go and mine is still several weeks away!!

Enjoy and be sure and post your 1st day driving impressions here
Old 10-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='484708' date='Oct 22 2007, 04:05 PM
Congrats! Don't worry, the heated seats may end up being good for resale down the road if you find a buyer that's up north...
Thanks Rudy, I actually don't mind the heated seats. Needless the say my wife will find them more useful than I will, but a small price to pay for delivery in two weeks! Did you new 550 come with the ContiSportContact 2's? How do you like the tires? I've never driven on Continentals...
Old 10-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='484720' date='Oct 22 2007, 04:23 PM
First off - CONGRATS!! Sounds like an AWESOME car and you certainly seem very happy it's coming!! Secondly, I hate you , as I have been waiting almost 3 weeks and it's still sitting on the docks somewhere waiting for a boat to make the voyage to the USA.....

I bet you can hardly stand it now being so close and yet still a few days away...I'm starting to go and mine is still several weeks away!!

Enjoy and be sure and post your 1st day driving impressions here
Yes, HotLap, very excited about the new toy! I understand your situation all too well, but this too shall pass. I just got lucky as my options are fairly basic and there was one already on the ship. I'll pay the $500 for the heated seats to shave off that extra six weeks, but so be it. Plus, when I made up mind to get a new one, I wanted to get in front of what I know will be a sizeable price increase due to the weaker US dollar...

I have not checked fred malone's sales data, I wonder how the 535 is selling relative to the 550? I would thing it is making some real inroads given the similar performance and the price difference.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='484723' date='Oct 22 2007, 02:32 PM
Thanks Rudy, I actually don't mind the heated seats. Needless the say my wife will find them more useful than I will, but a small price to pay for delivery in two weeks! Did you new 550 come with the ContiSportContact 2's? How do you like the tires? I've never driven on Continentals...
KS - heated seats are the pretty cool as you can drive around in nippy weather with the windows down, roof open and seats on low and be in toasty comfort!! My g-friend loved them on the convertible - never complained of being cold...and THAT was MUSIC to MY ears!!
Old 10-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='484723' date='Oct 22 2007, 05:32 PM
Yeah, my car has Continentals. So far, I'm not complaining (but then again, I loved my Dunlop runflats because I didn't pay for tires the entire 3 year lease!)

The Continentals are less harsh (of course) and they seem to stick pretty well too. My only real complaint (besides the fact that I'm no longer going to get free tires) is that they can be fairly loud on the highway over concrete. They are quiet on asphalt but if you go over a section of road that's concrete, they sort of sing a high pitched song...
Old 10-23-2007, 02:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='484698' date='Oct 23 2007, 04:27 AM
I did test drive a 550 with the active steering. It was ceratinly better than the version offered back in late 2003 when I ordered my 545, but I still did not care for it. I can certainly see the value if you do a lot driving in tight spaces like parking garages but I found it almost too sensitive at lower speeds. Kind of hard to describe but at low speeds it is very easy to cause the car to turn, which is what it is supposed ( ) to do but I just did not care for it. Ultimately you have to drive it yourself and see how you like it. Many have it an love it, maybe I'm just a little too old school and like the road feel of the standard rack-and-pinion steering. Definitely drive cars with and without for some extended test drives, including parking lots and open road at different speeds.
Thanks for your feedback and info, really appreciate it. Will try out this option the next time when I get a new BMW. Congrats once again and enjoy your new ride.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

I use the heated seats occasionally all year round. They are great for one's back.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:01 AM
Contributors

I've only been tracking the car for a week or so but I must say BMW seems to have improved the Owner's Circle tracking system a little. The car was scheduled to hit port on Oct 25th and as of this morning, the OC tracking shows it "At preparation center". My SA had said all along the car was due at the dealer on or about Nov 8th, maybe it will get here a little early!

Quick Reply: New 550 on the way...