E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New 550 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 02:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Jan 06 Delivery, 2006 550 Sport , silver gray metallic, clear bra, black leather, step, active steering, comfort seats, logic 7, Nav, head-up display, comfort access, satellite, anthracite trim and headliner, M-body kit, electric sun shade, split fold down rear seats, Hard Wired BEL STi Driver Radar/Laser Detector.

While driving my 550 yesterday, I had 2 active steering warnings. First the I-drive stated that the active steering was initializing and then active steering was disabled and it stated drive carefully. I called service and they said it's a problem happening with all of the 550's and new sensors are on back order. It's a drag because I have a road trip planned next weekend and was looking forward to the drive. Hopefully I'll get a nice loaner for the trip if the sensors come in this week. I had some service completed on the car last week, including the latest CIP upgrade, and the car has been running like a bat out of hell. The power is back!
Anyone else having active steering problems?
Old 06-17-2006, 03:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Why is AS problems happenning with 550s? what did they do differently with the 550 and 545?
Old 06-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

550 Sport,

There might be a common issue for car with AS that when you park with steering wheel not straight. When you start the car, it'll say AS malfunction or something like that. Stop the car and have your steering wheel straight. Turn off and on ignition. Warning is still there. Drive for about 10 to 20 minutes. It'll go away.

Good luck.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by 550 Sport' post='299082' date='Jun 17 2006, 05:41 PM
While driving my 550 yesterday, I had 2 active steering warnings. First the I-drive stated that the active steering was initializing and then active steering was disabled and it stated drive carefully. I called service and they said it's a problem happening with all of the 550's and new sensors are on back order. It's a drag because I have a road trip planned next weekend and was looking forward to the drive. Hopefully I'll get a nice loaner for the trip if the sensors come in this week. I had some service completed on the car last week, including the latest CIP upgrade, and the car has been running like a bat out of hell. The power is back!
Anyone else having active steering problems?
I am having this problem too...it started about 4 days ago. You can drive with the AS malfunction...it is like turning AS off. I would go ahead and take your trip with the car. I am taking mine in next friday to have it looked at, but will be taking a road trip tuesday with the malfunction. I did not know others were having this problem or that a part was difficult to get. I guess I will find that out friday. I am waiting till friday to take mine in because that was the earliest I could get a loaner. My service rep said it was okay to drive the car.

What happened to your power as you state the "power is back." Has something been wrong with your car's performance?
Old 06-17-2006, 10:43 PM
Members

I have the same problem. Usually when IDrive prompts me that active steering is disabled its when the steering wheel is not straight and when I turn the ignition over the actuators activate simultaneously. This actuators usually sound when I hit the unlock button on my key ("ratchet" sounding noise). Anyways, I talked to my service advisor of 5+ years and he states that he will have to update the software throughout the entire car which will take 6+ hours. If this does not remedy the situation, he states that he will order me a new steering rack. He says either/or will remedy the situation. I'll keep everyone posted. BTW: I have an 04 545i (04/04 build).
Old 06-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Members

[font=Comic Sans Ms]
Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='299087' date='Jun 18 2006, 12:06 AM
Why is AS problems happenning with 550s? what did they do differently with the 550 and 545?

From Sept 2005 build. The E60 had modifications to the electrical system, removal of the byteflight system etc. The steering angle sensor on the newer cars is optical as on the new 3 series. Hence why there are a few bugs with the Active steering that doesnt effect older cars(545i verses 550i), its just a bad batch of optical sensors, and the problem is now cured.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by the_oracle' post='299401' date='Jun 18 2006, 02:37 PM
From Sept 2005 build. The E60 had modifications to the electrical system, removal of the byteflight system etc. The steering angle sensor on the newer cars is optical as on the new 3 series. Hence why there are a few bugs with the Active steering that doesnt effect older cars(545i verses 550i), its just a bad batch of optical sensors, and the problem is now cured.

Oh wow they changed that much stuff?

What kind of sesnor was being used for old Active Steering systems?

So what are they using now for the safety system?

Edit: well a little bit of googling and the answer is found. FlexRay. I think I read that article a while back but then it says "expects" so for once they're on schedule!

BMW has developed support for applications such as brake-by-wire already, although there are no FlexRay-equipped cars on the road yet. The first system tests will be performed later this year and BMW expects to have the FlexRay technology in series production in 2006.
http://www.pofto.com/articles/05.11.04.html
Old 06-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='299402' date='Jun 18 2006, 10:42 PM
Oh wow they changed that much stuff?

What kind of sesnor was being used for old Active Steering systems?

So what are they using now for the safety system?

Edit: well a little bit of googling and the answer is found. FlexRay. I think I read that article a while back but then it says "expects" so for once they're on schedule!

BMW has developed support for applications such as brake-by-wire already, although there are no FlexRay-equipped cars on the road yet. The first system tests will be performed later this year and BMW expects to have the FlexRay technology in series production in 2006.
http://www.pofto.com/articles/05.11.04.html
The active steering system is the same. But the upper steering angle sensor is used for the active steering. dsc, indicators and the electronic steering lock, hence why its the 3 series type sensor is now fitted because of the electric steering lock with the card type key. The new safety system is ACSM, byteflight is a expensive system and was replaced.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by the_oracle' post='299409' date='Jun 18 2006, 03:02 PM
The active steering system is the same. But the upper steering angle sensor is used for the active steering. dsc, indicators and the electronic steering lock, hence why its the 3 series type sensor is now fitted because of the electric steering lock with the card type key. The new safety system is ACSM, byteflight is a expensive system and was replaced.

Thanks for the info.

But isnt ACSM just the safety system management? ByteFlight is a data bus system. So meaning ACSM needs to use some sort of BUS to allow traffic to flow... if they're not using ByteFlight they have to use something... thats why I'm wondering if its FlexRay bus system as stated in that old old article.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='299418' date='Jun 18 2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the info.

But isnt ACSM just the safety system management? ByteFlight is a data bus system. So meaning ACSM needs to use some sort of BUS to allow traffic to flow... if they're not using ByteFlight they have to use something... thats why I'm wondering if its FlexRay bus system as stated in that old old article.
ACSM is just the safety management, up until 09/05 the safety management was byteflight, where bus comunication was via a fiber optic cable, now its done by a sub bus, there is still K-CAN, MOST and PT-CAN, are you confused yet?, LOL.

Quick Reply: New 550 Problem