E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New 545i Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 09:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by drinkh20' date='Jun 1 2004, 11:03 AM
Rudy-
Thanks for the reply. If the engine was running hot or close to overheating what would the lines show and where? Is this an actual temp gauge or does it serve another purpose? I assume that if the engine was running hot you'd receive a message in the message center or the I drive.
thanks
One might also assume that the "variable tach" would start to decrease the "virtual" redline as the engine got out of it's nominal operating temperature range, such that there would be more bars when the engine is cold in the morning, as well as more bars if it were to start overheating.

During the time that I drove my ED 545 in Germany, I never saw more (or less than) four bars of "variable redline" once the car got up to temp. But in a brand new car, one would hope that the motor would not overheat. It was also not so cold in the mornings that it took the engine very long to heat up.

Most modern temp gauges are not indicative of the actual enging temp, just indicators that the temp is either OK, or trending up or down.

I would love it if the iDrive system were to be extened to allow us to have a "virtual gauge set" displayed on the monitor that included charging system voltage, water and oil temp, and oil pressure. Surely the car's ECU is monitoring all that stuff already; it wouldn't be a huge deal to build a view of it in iDrive.

-MrB
Old 06-01-2004, 09:42 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by mrbelk' date='Jun 1 2004, 11:37 AM
(snip)
I would love it if the iDrive system were to be extened to allow us to have a "virtual gauge set" displayed on the monitor that included charging system voltage, water and oil temp, and oil pressure. Surely the car's ECU is monitoring all that stuff already; it wouldn't be a huge deal to build a view of it in iDrive.

-MrB
That sound doable. Why not seek the channels to pass that one forward to Mr. BMW? A gauge display would look need as a choice for the right hand screen - oil pressure, oil temp, radiator temp, generator output -- sounds great.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:47 AM
Members

I think I understand now. The white lines aren't an engine temp gauge at all, rather, it's a variable redline that is telling you not to exceed a certain rpm due to the engine not being warm yet. As the engine warms the lines decrease and fall towards the actual redline.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Jun 1 2004, 11:42 AM
[quote name='mrbelk' date='Jun 1 2004, 11:37 AM'] (snip)
I would love it if the iDrive system were to be extened to allow us to have a "virtual gauge set" displayed on the monitor that included charging system voltage, water and oil temp, and oil pressure.? Surely the car's ECU is monitoring all that stuff already; it wouldn't be a huge deal to build a view of it in iDrive.

-MrB
That sound doable. Why not seek the channels to pass that one forward to Mr. BMW? A gauge display would look need as a choice for the right hand screen - oil pressure, oil temp, radiator temp, generator output -- sounds great. [/quote]
Certainly doable (I assume). I wonder what the proper channels would be to suggest something like that? For us US BMW owners, we could all send a "priority email" from the Owner's Circle website. If enough people offered that suggestion, it might stir some interest. It wouldn't require any new main menus, just a different view in the "Car Data" section.

I would also like to see the system "remember" where you were when you shut the car off and go back there when you get back in (after "accepting" the disclaimer).

-MrB
Old 06-01-2004, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

Hey drinkh20 I'm a Gallery guy also, about 45 miles so. of Boston, Kingston. There are a few guys at Gallery that are good customers of mine. I've posted on THE OTHER BOARD about their knowledgeable service guy's and I've found they are good people to deal with. I havn't seen another 545 yet but I'll keep an eye out for you, should be easy to spot since NOBODY has the reflectors, or even a clue what they are. 30 miles south, on the ocean huh.........I'm thinking Hingham?
Old 06-01-2004, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

At times our 520i manual shows only one white bar.

-paasan
Old 06-01-2004, 09:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by drinkh20' date='Jun 1 2004, 11:47 AM
I think I understand now. The white lines aren't an engine temp gauge at all, rather, it's a variable redline that is telling you not to exceed a certain rpm due to the engine not being warm yet. As the engine warms the lines decrease and fall towards the actual redline.
Well, they kind of "are" a temp gauge of sorts, just an "applied" temp gauge. Knowing the engine temp isn't really all that important, I don't think. It's more important to know how the engine temp affects the operating characteristics of the vehicle.

In this case, abnormally low or high engine temps should alert you to not rev the engine past a particular value. In the "old" way, the driver would have to "guess" what is a safe max RPM value, but in this "new" way, the system saves us from having to make that determination ourselves, and just "tells" us what is a safe RPM given the engine conditions.

-MrB
Old 06-01-2004, 09:59 AM
Members

jtxc-
Duxbury...member at IPCC in Kingston and I've seen a few 5's in the parking lot.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

Solstice?
Old 06-01-2004, 10:30 AM
Members

I've had the pleasure of dining at Solstice twice.

Quick Reply: New 545i Review