E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 535xi owner with issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: bullshit
Model Year: 2010

I just bought my first BMW right before Thanksgiving and a couple of things to note.

First an introduction.

2010 (7/09 production) Space Metallic Grey purchased with 27k miles (yikes). Automatic.

Now some questions:

1. Why does my car seam to jerk forward when it downshifts when cruising to a stop and no brake applied (usually 2nd to 1st I think)?
2. Is the BMW warranty transferable?
3. Can I get BMW assist as the second owner?
4. Are the following things covered under the warranty?
-I think the sensor for the automatic wipers doesn't work because the wipers work fine when on delay but even with the sensitivity turned up they don't move an inch after I set it to auto (even in a downpour).
-The base for the rear view mirror is loose and looks like it just needs to be glued
-The trunk light does not turn on when I open the trunk. I know the bulb works because after I pulled off the cover it momentarily turned on (until I closed the lid and opened it up again)

Thanks guys! Can't wait to start modding her.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Senior Members

1. Why does my car seam to jerk forward when it downshifts when cruising to a stop and no brake applied (usually 2nd to 1st I think)?
-I think the sensor for the automatic wipers doesn't work because the wipers work fine when on delay but even with the sensitivity turned up they don't move an inch after I set it to auto (even in a downpour).
-The base for the rear view mirror is loose and looks like it just needs to be glued
-The trunk light does not turn on when I open the trunk. I know the bulb works because after I pulled off the cover it momentarily turned on (until I closed the lid and opened it up again)

1. Need transmission software updated.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. Yes all those things should be covered. Where did you get the car? Seems like it has some strange issues...and 27k miles on a 2010? Was it a loaner? Did you buy it from BMW?

Good color choice .
Old 12-06-2010, 03:50 AM
Members

[sub][/sub]

I bought it pre-owned from a luxury car dealership. I don't really know if it was a loaner or not after checking out the carfax.

I think these issues to be strange also, but I'm not particularly concerned (should I be?)
Old 12-06-2010, 03:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm guessing the windshield was replaced and during the replacement, they screwed up something with the rain sensor (and possibly created the loose base on the rear-view mirror...)

Congrats on your new toy and have fun on the forums!
Old 12-06-2010, 04:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by spidereddie
I just bought my first BMW right before Thanksgiving and a couple of things to note.

First an introduction.

2010 (7/09 production) Space Metallic Grey purchased with 27k miles (yikes). Automatic.

Now some questions:

2. Is the BMW warranty transferable? < Yes, it follows the car not the owner.
3. Can I get BMW assist as the second owner? < Assist is included during the original warranty period. Program "enhancements" may be purchased thru BMW Assist (there is a toll free number in the owner's manual) or a BMW dealer.

Carfax is useful, and I know it's after the fact, but anyone considering purchase of a pre-owned car (ESP A BMW) should have the VIN run by that marque dealer to ascertain what if any problems might have been reported and attended to. Do it NOW and start with a good understanding of what you have bought. They can also determine what, if any maintenance or update services need to be completed - as determined by Condition Based Service in iDrive and included in BMW's Maintenance Warranty. You might discover there are features and benefits that follow the car - like extended maintenance etc!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by Rudy
I'm guessing the windshield was replaced and during the replacement, they screwed up something with the rain sensor (and possibly created the loose base on the rear-view mirror...)

Congrats on your new toy and have fun on the forums!
I was thinking the same thing. I would carfax it too just to know, I mean you already bought it, but knowledge is power. Id check it out if I were you, oh and congrads!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Senior Members

[sub][/sub]

I bought it pre-owned from a luxury car dealership. I don't really know if it was a loaner or not after checking out the carfax.

I think these issues to be strange also, but I'm not particularly concerned (should I be?)
Well was it a Bentley dealership? I know one in Chiacgo a real slime ball place tons of lemon cars were sold..I think it got shut down?

Back to your concerns...its a 2010 car driven 27k miles. The average american drives 15k miles a year, so yes that car was driven alot. Which leads me to think it MIGHT have been a loaner car. The car must have been bought at auction...(Usually BMW cars off lease/loaners get CPO), the "unworthy" cars go to auction which small dealers then buy and resell.

By unworthy car it could be anything...maybe it had too much mileage or had some small issues? Or maybe the dealership that originally had the car had tons of cars on the lot and just didn't care for that particular car.

Now another possibility could be that it was a a corporate lease vehicle that exotic car rental agencies lease out these cars from BMW and after a year or so they change them up again. I saw several a few years back when I was looking for my E60. It says on the carfax usually.

The only issues I see...is the high mileage, and the windshield being replaced, and the trunk light....I would get those checked ASAP...I would also have BMW pull up the service history to see what kind of repairs have been made....be ready for the HPFP...but you are covered for 10/120k on that.

Congrats! Welcome aboard and lets get the mods rolling .
Old 12-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
....be ready for the HPFP...but you are covered for 10/120k on that.
What is HPFP?
Old 12-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Senior Members

What is HPFP?
HPFP=High Performance Fuel Pump....Common problem with the N54 engine.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Members

My Ride: Carbon black m sport package 535xi. Natural brown interior with black diamond trim. Dinan stage 2.

Originally Posted by aretardedorange

1. Need transmission software updated.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. Yes all those things should be covered. Where did you get the car? Seems like it has some strange issues...and 27k miles on a 2010? Was it a loaner? Did you buy it from BMW?

Good color choice .

Agree with those answers...

Quick Reply: New 535xi owner with issues