E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new 535i - I feel hesitant on the turbo technology

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel very unsure on this new biturbo engine, perhaps it is due to my limited of knowledge on turbo charging, various people's opinion (compared to 335i) or simply don't like the idea (call me old school). Here are my concerns and please feel free to post.

I prefer manuel transmission and a normally aspirated engine, which seemlessly turns out power on all engine speeds and the predictability / smoothness of engine-break during downshift.

In the biturbo, when I downshift how does that affect the turbocharger? Would the sudden surge in rev dash the car forward as oppose to slowing it?
Before the turbo 'kicks' in (~1500 rpm) the car feels weak, what does that mean? Extremely sluggish like 'crawling'?
Picture this, an agreesive start at the traffic lights, does the 'wait' time seem so long to be unbearable?
There are times I need to roll the car in first gear (not touching the gas) just doing ~15kph (b/t 1100-1500 rpm), but when resume to drive normally afterwards will the surge of power be too unpredictably sudden?

What if taking it easy as oppose to punching the rev. If very lightly stepping on the gas, how does the intensity feel compared to a normally aspirated engine?

How about cold starting, before the engine gets to normal operational temperature and you are forced to rev low. How weak is the car then?
Does it take longer for the biturbo to warm up?
I thought there were special handling procedures for starting or switching off the turbo, it that true and what exactly is it? What about any other tidbits, like a 'choke' to be left on over night or something?

If the car needs to be rev higher during normal driving, does that mean higher oil consumption, more heat prone repairs or simply noisier to operate?

From most reports I've read on the 335i, great emphasis were placed on how powerful it felt and the 'near' non existance of turbo lag. However when placed in the LCI E60 the experience differs, might the heavier E60 (~300kg) sacraficed its performance by too much?

*Must this 535i be driven hard for it to feel normal?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I wonder if the 3.0l twin-turbo was designed around the 3 series and thats why you see the differences in opinions between the 3 and 5.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rollee' post='420265' date='May 2 2007, 05:49 PM
I feel very unsure on this new biturbo engine
Form your OWN opinion.

Have a test drive - all questions will be answered.

ABC
Old 05-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Senior Members

A test drive is definite, I just like to hear from people here who have experience with the 535i and care to share.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:52 AM
Members

I remember the reviews when the 335i came out and it was being compared to the e46 M3. Go have a drive.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:35 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

I can only comment on turbos in general as I have not driven the biturbo. I currently have a Saab 9-5 with a turbo engine so I think I can answer some of your questions.

In all turbo engines you will feel when the turbo engages and you will get that typical turbo kick when the acceleration sets in. The idea behind having a biturbo is to smothe out this turbo kick by having a small turbo for lower revs and a larger turbo that comes in on higher revs.

Having a turbo means that you don't need to rev the car as much as an ordinary engine. It's kind of the same thing as driving a high torque diesel engine (which is also turbo by the way). Without shifting down (if you have a manual) you still have power if you push the metal because of the turbo. This gives you more relaxed driving as you don't need to shift and rev the engine all the time to get all the performance.

When you shift down to engine brake, it's exactly as with a non-turbo engine. The turbo is connected to the accelerator and does not care if the revs increase because of the downshift.

Finally, turbo is an additional piece of equipment that can break down and this can be costly if you are out of waranty or insurance.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

Originally Posted by gorban' post='420600' date='May 3 2007, 12:35 PM
The idea behind having a biturbo is to smothe out this turbo kick by having a small turbo for lower revs and a larger turbo that comes in on higher revs.
For BMW this unfortunately only is true for the dual stage turbo on the diesel engines, which has the setup you describe. The petrol variant doesn't have 2 differently sized turbo's, but 2 turbos of the same size for 3 cylinders each.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gorban' post='420600' date='May 3 2007, 06:35 AM
I can only comment on turbos in general as I have not driven the biturbo. I currently have a Saab 9-5 with a turbo engine so I think I can answer some of your questions.

In all turbo engines you will feel when the turbo engages and you will get that typical turbo kick when the acceleration sets in. The idea behind having a biturbo is to smothe out this turbo kick by having a small turbo for lower revs and a larger turbo that comes in on higher revs.

Having a turbo means that you don't need to rev the car as much as an ordinary engine. It's kind of the same thing as driving a high torque diesel engine (which is also turbo by the way). Without shifting down (if you have a manual) you still have power if you push the metal because of the turbo. This gives you more relaxed driving as you don't need to shift and rev the engine all the time to get all the performance.

When you shift down to engine brake, it's exactly as with a non-turbo engine. The turbo is connected to the accelerator and does not care if the revs increase because of the downshift.

Finally, turbo is an additional piece of equipment that can break down and this can be costly if you are out of waranty or insurance.
I've also owned turbo Saabs, and this technology has come along way. I wish this engine was available a year ago when I purchased - it'll be a hoot to drive and still get great gas mileage.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

I'm a huge fan of turbo cars Can't wait to drive a 535....remember the the mid 80's when Buick had the Turbo6 Grand National? It was the fastest car on the market for 2 years!!!!
Old 05-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='420288' date='May 2 2007, 12:27 PM
Form your OWN opinion.

Have a test drive - all questions will be answered.

ABC

Well put. Otherwise, you are just speculating.

Quick Reply: The new 535i - I feel hesitant on the turbo technology