E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New 535d Do I really need to run in.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 03:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next week I pick up a new 535d, I normally take it easy for the first 300miles , so that the tyres and and brakes bed in, and after that I tend to floor it.

I tend to agree with RUSS, and will just go for it.

Any reason why I should run in, I am sure I read a thread in the forum, saying oil consumption was less if it was not run in!

Give me your advice!
Old 11-05-2007, 03:33 AM
Contributors

If you are going to keep the car forever and ever and ever, you probably would see some benefit by following the run in procedure (which, by the way, is 1,200 not 300 miles!). Maybe in ten years time, the car will have retained 5bhp more and do 1mpg better than it would if you abused it from day one.

My car is in the garage for the second time regarding excessing brake noise, which _might_ be attributed to not bedding them in properly. But at the end of the day, the car has a three year warranty, and I'll swap it before the warranty expires - so what do I care if things break !!
Old 11-05-2007, 04:57 AM
Members

I agree, thinking of hiding a note some where in the car so the next owner gets it.

SORRY NEVER RUN IT IN!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by lymin6' post='490205' date='Nov 5 2007, 03:57 PM
SORRY NEVER RUN IT IN!
I would definitely run it in!

It only needs normal driving for a while.

The fact is that a lot of new E60 drivers should just sit down in the car
and read the manual!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='490320' date='Nov 5 2007, 12:17 PM
I would definitely run it in!

It only needs normal driving for a while.

The fact is that a lot of new E60 drivers should just sit down in the car
and read the manual!
"Normal" driving? "Read the manual"? Lol - you should post that in the lounge, everyone like's a good laugh
Old 11-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='490328' date='Nov 5 2007, 07:30 PM
"Normal" driving? "Read the manual"? Lol - you should post that in the lounge, everyone like's a good laugh
Hey don't laugh! I found some pretty neat tricks there! And even though I'm sort of the man who never reads manuals but with BMW I do! Just because I like everything about it
Old 11-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Members

Not only the engine and the transmission need a running in. For those parts it is obvious as all moving parts have to get smoothened and when they come out of the factory they have a lot of friction. Every experienced driver does feel it, the car is corked in the beginning. After about 600 miles the friction is less and the engine and car will respond to the accelerator much better.
However most people don't know that a break in period applies to tyres and brakes and clutches. Brakes and clutches will get baken like a cake during the first 300 miles. If you do not respect that they will wear not only faster they will also not perform as the surfaces will get kind of a glas surface.
Tyres should be run in too. That means no emergency brakes or screaming around the corner. Same thing do that and they will wear faster.

Best regards

Bernd
Old 11-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Members

I have to say, I never used kick down for the first 1,200 miles and I also never switched on Sport. To be honest, coming from a Disco 3 to the 535d, it was plenty quick enough without using either of the above. I managed to get my 1,200 miles out of the way within about a week and a half which isn't bad considering I usually only drive about that much every month

At the very least, you should let the brakes and tyres bed in for a couple of weeks. It doesn't mean you can't drive fast: just avoid excessively hard braking. It really will make your brakes noisy.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by fastboyuk' post='490364' date='Nov 5 2007, 01:55 PM
At the very least, you should let the brakes and tyres bed in for a couple of weeks. It doesn't mean you can't drive fast: just avoid excessively hard braking. It really will make your brakes noisy.
Yep I can vouch for that ... car is in the dealer as I type for noisy-brakes!
Old 11-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

No doubt in my mind whatsoever.....they should be run in correctly. Russ1974 proves the question in point - problems with the brakes after only a short time of ownership. The internals of the engine, if not 'run in', could suffer in a similar manner. Surfaces need to bed in correctly.

To me , for how long it takes to do 1200 miles, it's simple - not long at all. Even if only keeping the car a small amount of time. I for one do not want to be going back to the dealers every other week when this can easily be avoided.

Once run in (something I follow to the letter) all I then do is always ensure the engine is up to temperature before 'booting it' and always ensure it gets a cool down before shutting the engine down. These small steps, along with correct servicing, will vastly increase the chances of a realiable, trouble free car. It has worked everytime in my case.

My car DOES get driven hard once warmed VERY frequently.

Quick Reply: New 535d Do I really need to run in.