E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 528xi owner needs helps (Accessories, iDrive... etc)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered a 528xi in Canada, can anyone help me out on the followings

- Where I can find custom sun sheds that perfectly fit rear side windows? I really wanted the factory Manual Side Sunshades, but it only comes with 550i in 2010 models, would I be able to find something very similar like that? Also, I would appreciate any comment or suggestion on rear back windows? Is the factory Rear Window Roller Blind accessory any good?

- I'm thinking to get the factory front Aerodynamic M-sport apron because I find 2010 front apron looks very plain compard to previous model (2007), does it look strange if I go with the M-sport front apron without lowing the suspension, the side skirts and rear apron? Does it improve or reduce the performance in any way just with the front apron?

- Is there any way for iDrive interface to display characters other than English? I have songs from iPod with different langurages, I guess I can live with French, German showing just English characters without accents thru the trouble of renaming them all only with English characters, but what can I do with Japenese, Korean or Chinese characters?

- Is there a way for iDrive to play movie files or DVDs? Can the factory player read DVD? Or if I have .mp4 or .mov files thru USB drive or iPhone, is there any way for iDrive screen to play movie files? Anyone knows the native resolution of the iDrive screen?

- Any comment on the fatory paint protection? Does it really last 5 years? How does it compared to produts such as Kasse, 5starshine, zaino, or simply waxing it regularly? Which way gives the best lasting shine?

- What's the recommended break-in speed and km for BMWs? Do people really wait for 25K km for the first oil change? Is it worth to pay for more frequent oil change?

Thanks,

YitaMinC
Old 08-17-2009, 01:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by yitaminc' post='979021' date='Aug 17 2009, 02:45 AM
I just ordered a 528xi in Canada, can anyone help me out on the followings

- Where I can find custom sun sheds that perfectly fit rear side windows? I really wanted the factory Manual Side Sunshades, but it only comes with 550i in 2010 models, would I be able to find something very similar like that? Also, I would appreciate any comment or suggestion on rear back windows? Is the factory Rear Window Roller Blind accessory any good?

- I'm thinking to get the factory front Aerodynamic M-sport apron because I find 2010 front apron looks very plain compard to previous model (2007), does it look strange if I go with the M-sport front apron without lowing the suspension, the side skirts and rear apron? Does it improve or reduce the performance in any way just with the front apron?

- Is there any way for iDrive interface to display characters other than English? I have songs from iPod with different langurages, I guess I can live with French, German showing just English characters without accents thru the trouble of renaming them all only with English characters, but what can I do with Japenese, Korean or Chinese characters?

- Is there a way for iDrive to play movie files or DVDs? Can the factory player read DVD? Or if I have .mp4 or .mov files thru USB drive or iPhone, is there any way for iDrive screen to play movie files? Anyone knows the native resolution of the iDrive screen?

- Any comment on the fatory paint protection? Does it really last 5 years? How does it compared to produts such as Kasse, 5starshine, zaino, or simply waxing it regularly? Which way gives the best lasting shine?

- What's the recommended break-in speed and km for BMWs? Do people really wait for 25K km for the first oil change? Is it worth to pay for more frequent oil change?

Thanks,

YitaMinC

First of all welcome and congratulations on your new BMW. I see you are already curious about the MOD bug. I would not get paint protection. A good sealant - like any of the ones you identified will give you much better protection. Those sealants are a cash cow for dealership - they apply an $10 dollar or so bottle and call it paint protection.

As for break-in, I would take it gently and avoid high RPMs. I would not wait until 25,000 km for the first oil change. I like changing break-in oil very soon on a new car. The first time I changed my oil, I was at 2,000 miles. I then had an oil change at 7,500 miles and plan on changing it approximately every 7,500 miles.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:13 AM
Members

Hi,

I have the powered roller blind at the rear and yes it helps in summerland over here. However I do not have the rear side windows manual shades. I found someone on Ebay selling but it seems that to get it fixed, the rear door card has to be replaced as the blind sits in the door card itself. I am still trying to find a way to retrofit it. Maybe getting one with rear speakers would be nice....