E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New 525 owner concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:29 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
AFAIK Active Steering is NOT available on AWD/xi model ... ... only on RWD/i model. At least it's not an option in my 5-series catalog from BMW.

Page #11 under 'Handling, ride & braking' (option #10) on https://5series.net/information/2006...s_Brochure.pdf or
page #2 under 'Options" on https://5series.net/information/2007...ion_Sheets.pdf
+1, I have the 06, 525XI and learned that there's no Active Steering option for XI models.

To the OP, I drove both the 530XI and 525XI and could not tell any difference in power. In fact, I'm beginning to think that mine might have been chipped by the previous owner since everybody else complains about the "lack of power" of the 525I.

The steering wheel heat stays on until you shut it off. If you shut off the car with the steering wheel heat on and you turn it back on within 20 minutes, it will come back on.

The radio volume stays exactly where you left it when you shut off the radio.

Have fun and enjoy your new car.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Welcome to the forums!!! I am John.

Regarding your car's power, u can get a sprint booster and solve the power lag. It boosts the throttle response to give u the feeling of more HP. It doesnt give u more though. I will be carrying the Spring Booster V2 which allows u to turn on and off the function so if ur sitting in traffic, no worries!

I will also try to reset the comp. Disconnect the battery and let the ECU refresh itself. It's not that ur car doesn't have power. The previous owner probably drove it easy causing the ECU to store his driving habits. Or u can use the tranny reset. I couldnt find it but many members will have that link.

Also, when starting to accelerate from a stop position, the front end seems to be making a rumbling sound and then goes away when over 20mph. - Check ur brakes for uneven wear and check ur control arms, tie rods, etc.

Can I deactivate the auto door locking function as I find this to be a pain in the butt? - Yes. In idrive there's the function

Does the heated steering wheel have a timer to shut the heat off? - I dont think so.

Why in the heck does the radio keep the same volume when you shut? - LOL. It's a BMW feature

Enjoy ur car!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525XI silver/grey

Thanks John and to the other forum members for your valued input. I can now humbley settle into my comfortable BMW ownership. The only thing left to do is buy some new wiper blades and change the oil.

Need to seek out a resonable wiper blade brand and cost. In addition, I plan to change the oil as I have purchased Mobil full synthetic and an oil filter from Autozone for 47.00 ducks.

On a good note, we received 10" of fresh snow last night and my X-drive behaved just as I expected. Held the road like a champ but when I got to fancy, I crashed into my neighbors snow bank. No damage donme just a bunch of snow inthe grill.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by Silver525xi
Thanks John and to the other forum members for your valued input. I can now humbley settle into my comfortable BMW ownership. The only thing left to do is buy some new wiper blades and change the oil.

Need to seek out a resonable wiper blade brand and cost. In addition, I plan to change the oil as I have purchased Mobil full synthetic and an oil filter from Autozone for 47.00 ducks.

On a good note, we received 10" of fresh snow last night and my X-drive behaved just as I expected. Held the road like a champ but when I got to fancy, I crashed into my neighbors snow bank. No damage donme just a bunch of snow inthe grill.
X-drive is fun in the winter If you want to have even more press the dtc button but dont wrap yourself around a poll.

There's nothing better then roasting the country bumpkin in their gas guzzling trucks and suv's in a stylish bimmer Man they get pissed heh!

X-drive ftw!