E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

never been more proud

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i/6

Originally Posted by kscarrol
I'm a little old fashioned and prefer the handle but my wife's 2007 X5 had the switch and it worked just fine. Did not bother me.

I can understand in an SUV, but just seems odd in a 'sport' sedan. I prefer the handle as well.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

the only 2 things i like about the F10 are the interior and that twin turbo v8.

i will never own an F10 since it can't be had with a manual transmission.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by response_surface
the only 2 things i like about the F10 are the interior and that twin turbo v8.

i will never own an F10 since it can't be had with a manual transmission.
The manual is standard in the F10. You can select Steptronic or the Sport Auto transmissions. Unless you are talking about the x models, then youare correct, no manual for those as I understand it...
Old 07-27-2010, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by e60.teamegypt.4
I just thought i'd share the thoughts that came to me today...
Today i was walking in town, and i caught the rear end of what was a lexus es-something, and for the first time i wasnt sure at first glance what it was... i thought it might have been an f10 for a second and when i realized it was a lexus i felt a mix of two feelings.

1) I was completely disappointed and disgusted at the new f10, as BMW has now gone and made something that is no longer different than the rest, but instead it looks just like other luxury vehicles.

2) I now couldnt be more proud that i own an e60! it is my first car and i will never forget the e60 and know i will never buy an f10, and as long as BMW makes the 5er look like a lexus, i, nor my kids, will ever have a 5 series post e60. and nevermind that the new m5 doesnt have the mighty mpower V10, my next car will definitely be (if budget allows) the e60 M5 and i will keep it forever or until a na V10 returns to the m5.
I scond your opinion. For some reason I can't accept the F10 design. The looks are that of 3 series front somehow mingled with a 7 series back. The bonnet shape is identical to that of a LCI E90, and I proved it to my BMW dealer two weeks ago.

The interior is of nicer materials than that of the E60, but the improvements in design are minimal. The i-Drive is now having buttons all over the place. I mean I never had a problem with my i-Drive, and unless old people can't use the E60's i-Drive, I find absolutely no reason for the extra buttons. The screen imbedded in the dashboard in the E60 looks better to me than the F10 surface one.

And the weight, 150 Kgs extra. Wow! It is because BMW ditched the half aluminum chassis for a steel one. The increase in the volume of this car (W*H*L) is a mere 1.7% compared to the E60 while the increase in weight is 10%. Was there an actual need for the increase in size? I mean have any E60 owner ever fealt that he needed extra space? I for one never fealt that.

Like you I am thinking of buying another E60 instead of an F10. In Egypt, it will be very expensive to buy and M5 due to the horrendous customs and taxes, so I might settle for a 2009 530i (which is faster than the new F10 528i).

The F10 is not a bad car itself, it just fails to impress over the E60 in most areas.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Sorry for misleading about the parking brake but since I didn't see a handle I just assumed there was another pedal in the footwell. I'm not too keen on an electronic parking brake switch either - for safety reasons I think that is something that should stay manual.

Maybe its just me but there are certain accents to a car's interior that define it as being "sporty"

-Tachometer
-Temperature gauge
-Oil pressure gauge
-Handle parking brake
-Center mounted shifter
-A few other things.......

Another peeve: on the E60, the flat surface in front of the idrive screen was a great place to temporarily put things like sunglasses (I absolutely HATE using the space inside the driver's side door). You don't have this with the F10.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 525i LCI - saphire black on black dakota leather, dark poplar wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6230i bluetooth + cradle, rain sensor, A/C with extended features, extended lights package, PDC, rear power sunshade, AUX Jack, steptronic, M-Tech steering wheel, 10 Airbags, smokers package, DSC, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, business radio; power folding mirrors Mods: iPOD (OEM), BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat, ///M Aerodyamics kit (OEM), 18" rims style 184 (OEM), 245/45 R18 93Y Contisport, ///M boot-lid spoiler (OEM), OEM Headlight washer system Future Mods: Solaris Invisibulbs - Amber Flash all-round; LED interior kit; LED License Plate; The Mrs.: 2009 e90 320i LCI - Carbon Black, Beige leather interior, Dark Poplar Wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6233 bluetooth + cradle, extended lights package, rear power sunshade, NEW I-DRIVE with HDD + 2USB Slots +AUX Jack, steptronic, DSC, Smokers package, business radio Mods:BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat The cars were manufactured in Egypt! :)

At first i HATED the looks of the F10. but i got invited to a test drive of the 528. the car handles, accelerates, and performs much better than the e60, needless to mention the interior. it is definitely a super refinement of everything except the exterior.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by response_surface
I will never own an F10 since it can't be had with a manual transmission.
Strange, a friend of mine received an invitation from a BMW Center to drive a F10 550i with a 6-speed manual transmission. I believe a 535i can be equipped with manual as well. I think the 528i will not have a 6-speed manual option.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 550i jet black, Loaded
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N62B48

I think E60 dares to be different and confident enough to take criticism, but F10's easy on the eye styling looks scare to be different.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I, K&N CAI, M-tech front bumper, Sprint-booster, Silver Hella taillights (vehicle is under construction)

Been using 5 series since the day I was born, but I have to agree I will skip on this F10. The hood design is similar to the new camry and the whole car just look really bulky somehow.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

I spent 45 minutes of uninterrupted time in an F10 at my dealership. I too was not impressed with the exterior and was puzzled about the 'close-to but no cigar' 7series look.
I did like the location of the new cupholders although they didn't look too deep. And the heated steering wheel control switch on the steering column was almost unuseable due to its location way down on the column. Its no longer easy to turn on while driving.

Quick Reply: never been more proud