E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

never been more proud

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 06:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are a few of my observations:

I find that if I hate a car at first I love it as time goes on. If I love it immediately I get tired real fast.

All cars of today are at the mercy of the wind tunnel and govt regs. That makes them start off the same. Then the lesser cars copy the BMW and other better cars. The Camry is a very close copy. Others also look similar. So the Camry guys feel that they have a cheap BMW??

Bmw has to compete with Jaguar and other high$$ cars. It also has to compete with its older models on the used market, so it has to change yet be the conservative leader.

Bottom line - you will eventually love the F10.
And if that's too big wait a year when the 3 is the same size as the e60.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by miguex
ok, tell me it is a F10 or F01... you can confuse easily.... What are the intentions from BMW?

Funny you mentioned that - I must have walked up to at least a half-dozen F01's thinking I was looking at an F10.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by miguex
and the only model that looks different is the new 6 series: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/26/b...cept-for-prod/
The comments below it are right on. How is a "6" a four door? It really is a nice "5".
I think that BMW has finally lost its mind and has totally confused itself!!

It is getting like GM. GM made so many models trying to appease everyone that they finally went crazy/broke.

The next thing they will be doing decal engineering by slapping a decal on a car to change the model.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: m54

Originally Posted by njlou
The comments below it are right on. How is a "6" a four door? It really is a nice "5".
I think that BMW has finally lost its mind and has totally confused itself!!

It is getting like GM. GM made so many models trying to appease everyone that they finally went crazy/broke.

The next thing they will be doing decal engineering by slapping a decal on a car to change the model.
exactly... i hate to say this because bmw has always been my favorite but, they are the next gm... except i doubt barack will bail them out like gm
Old 07-27-2010, 07:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

I sat there and stared at the F10 (when I finally found one - see post above) for about a good 30 minutes. The car was parked on the grass so I couldn't park my E60 next to it for a side-by-side comparison.

From a LOOKS perspective - I couldn't see the F10 as being more attractive to my E60 in any way. My car is bone stock. I thought the hood had too many contour lines. I didn't agree with the recessed trunk lip and taillight design. The F10's stance was all wrong but I figured the car didn't have the sport package - turns out it DID. The biggest visual turn off was the pig-nosed grill. Although I thought it looked nicer on the F01 (seemed like the more I looked at the F01 grill contour lines, it reminded me of the Audi A8)

The interior had some improvements but didn't impress me. It also had some changes I disliked. I liked the center console cupholders, but couldn't understand why they located the ash tray further back on the armrest (almost useless for a smoker). They should have gotten rid of it and just provided a "cup" ashtray that fits into the cup holder like my old T-Blazer had. The instrument cluster now has a temp gauge but BMW moved them mpg gauge from underneath the speedometer to the left side of the panel. An oil pressure gauge would have been a much better choice for that location. I also didn't agree with changing the parking brake from a handle operated model to a foot depress type. It seems like they placed too much emphasis on the "sedan" and not enough on the "sport".

If you put a brand new E60 and F10 side by side on a lot and nobody knew which one was the newer model, price and options being identical - it would be interesting to see which one of the two people would choose.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

Oh yeah - I forgot to mention that the iDrive seems to be getting more and more buttons every time it is redesigned. I thought the whole purpose of that knob was to eliminate them?
Old 07-27-2010, 08:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6

Originally Posted by pukka
I sat there and stared at the F10 (when I finally found one - see post above) for about a good 30 minutes. The car was parked on the grass so I couldn't park my E60 next to it for a side-by-side comparison.

From a LOOKS perspective - I couldn't see the F10 as being more attractive to my E60 in any way. My car is bone stock. I thought the hood had too many contour lines. I didn't agree with the recessed trunk lip and taillight design. The F10's stance was all wrong but I figured the car didn't have the sport package - turns out it DID. The biggest visual turn off was the pig-nosed grill. Although I thought it looked nicer on the F01 (seemed like the more I looked at the F01 grill contour lines, it reminded me of the Audi A8)

The interior had some improvements but didn't impress me. It also had some changes I disliked. I liked the center console cupholders, but couldn't understand why they located the ash tray further back on the armrest (almost useless for a smoker). They should have gotten rid of it and just provided a "cup" ashtray that fits into the cup holder like my old T-Blazer had. The instrument cluster now has a temp gauge but BMW moved them mpg gauge from underneath the speedometer to the left side of the panel. An oil pressure gauge would have been a much better choice for that location. I also didn't agree with changing the parking brake from a handle operated model to a foot depress type. It seems like they placed too much emphasis on the "sedan" and not enough on the "sport".

If you put a brand new E60 and F10 side by side on a lot and nobody knew which one was the newer model, price and options being identical - it would be interesting to see which one of the two people would choose.

They went to a foot pedal for an E brake?!?!?! This cant be serious, this reminds me of my fathers '81 caprice from the stone age. Even when I was little, I noticed little stuff like that and everytime I saw someone do that I was always in a non-sporty auto and that stigma has always stuck with me. This is a very subtle way from them clearly going from sport to convenience/luxury. Why are they going after the senior MB crowd?! To top it off, you couldnt even notice it had a sport pkg? Sickening (on BMW's part).
Old 07-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by cmoore_
They went to a foot pedal for an E brake?!?!?! This cant be serious, this reminds me of my fathers '81 caprice from the stone age. Even when I was little, I noticed little stuff like that and everytime I saw someone do that I was always in a non-sporty auto and that stigma has always stuck with me. This is a very subtle way from them clearly going from sport to convenience/luxury. Why are they going after the senior MB crowd?! To top it off, you couldnt even notice it had a sport pkg? Sickening (on BMW's part).
It's not a foot pedal, it's an electric parking brake operated by a switch on the center console...
Old 07-27-2010, 08:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6

Originally Posted by kscarrol
It's not a foot pedal, it's an electric parking brake operated by a switch on the center console...

Ok, apparantly I need to do some research as I havnt had the chance to observe one in person yet. Even so, its a switch now? Not sure how to take that either...
Old 07-27-2010, 08:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by cmoore_
Ok, apparantly I need to do some research as I havnt had the chance to observe one in person yet. Even so, its a switch now? Not sure how to take that either...
I'm a little old fashioned and prefer the handle but my wife's 2007 X5 had the switch and it worked just fine. Did not bother me.

Quick Reply: never been more proud