E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Netherlands E60 sub forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 02:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Originally Posted by Dutch 530i
:
Now thats good news
Mine is at this moment up on a bridge in the garage with the wheels and brakes off while the calipers are drying over night. The brake disks look sick!!!!
Gone for the EBC yellow pads in the end as the brake company advised these were better suited to my car.
Here's a pick of the disks.
Hey, could you explain your choice in brakes some more?
I'm looking for an upgrade now since the OEM's are worn.
If I'm correct we've got some three main options to replace worn OEM discs:
- StopTech (grooved)
- Zimmermann drilled (where did you order yours?)
- Zimmermann OEM's (they supply the original ones, correct?)
And a BBK of course but I'd have to go and take out another mortgage for those...

Any advice?

Thanks in advance guys
Old 09-21-2010, 03:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Theo
Hey, could you explain your choice in brakes some more?
I'm looking for an upgrade now since the OEM's are worn.
If I'm correct we've got some three main options to replace worn OEM discs:
- StopTech (grooved)
- Zimmermann drilled (where did you order yours?)
- Zimmermann OEM's (they supply the original ones, correct?)
And a BBK of course but I'd have to go and take out another mortgage for those...

Any advice?

Thanks in advance guys

Hi Theo,
Well, I always do sooooo much research before I buy anything so I looked at all the options. First an M5 kit or a BBK from Stoptech but they were expensive and I decided the extra weight would be a negative for my 530i. So, next was to look at same size setup but with better looks and perhaps a bit better performance.
I think the vendors selling R1 concept, Stoptech or similar on this forum do fantastic deals, but its the import tax for us that doesn't make it worth it in the end.

I also wanted just drilled disks and not grooved/drilled as they feel more (BBK) and appear a bit bigger.
The garage that built my car sourced them along with EBC yellow stuff ceramic pads, which were advised by the brake company they use as being a good combo for my 530i.
You can also buy them here.
http://www.schmiedmann.com/

I'm having the calipers sprayed red and a fluid flush too, so basicly a complete update but without the extra weight!

These should look nice behind my wheels.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Thanks for the quick response!

Good point on the shipping for R1, StopTech however is nowadays supplied in the Netherlands by JapPower in Alphen. They tag a four corners disc set for the 530d with ?534.
Then we've got Brakemax, drilled set will set you back some ?432.
Zimmermann, drilled or slotted will get shipped for about ?480.
- You know whether there is any difference qualitywise? Reviews around the web vary wildly and seem down to personal preference?
- Did you research the pads? Only the color codes from EBC are enough to confuse me... Green seems geared less toward performance than the others but what does it mean, less wear, softer etc..
- Last question: are you also getting stainless steel tubes since you're getting a flush?

Oh and maybe some pics of how your brand new setup looks?

Many thanks!
Old 09-21-2010, 04:06 AM
Senior Members

I know Zimmermann have been around for years. You are right, some say amazing, some say just ok. They have improved a lot over the years and should and work well for everyday use.
The yellow pads are light track pads, but these should work well as its a heavier car to stop. The green ones are starter pads. I've had these before and are not that great.

I'm not getting the stainless brake lines as I don't use my car on the track, so wouldn't really benefit much.

I should get my car back tomorrow, so I'll post picks then:-)
Old 09-21-2010, 04:26 AM
Senior Members

OK, thanks for the info.

Looking forward to the pics of your setup, especially with the red calipers!
Old 09-21-2010, 04:51 AM
Senior Members

I just got a call to say I can pick the car up tonight
Will try to get picks done soon!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 E60 523 executive 20"ASA / Bi-Xenon / Full M-tech / LED Angel Eyes / Matte Black Kidney's / LED Side Markers

Guys,

Next amsterdam meet, oktober 8, 19:30 @ foodstrip

Theo... Be sure to join us ok?

Bobby... Take the night off, and come see us!

See you all there!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:29 PM
Senior Members

I'll give it a try. Am in the vicinity so that's not a problem if time permits...

There is of course another issue: I'll have to get some nice drilled brakes by then or I will be chased off the parking lot by you guys since my car is almost standard...
Old 09-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Hey folks, it's been a while indeed since I as last in touch with anyone, and even longer since I was last active on the board. Family, business travel and vacation have been the focus of my time, but I could not resist sharing with you a new addition to the fold. Here is my son posing with his first birthday present ...
Old 09-22-2010, 12:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Something is going very wrong with the photo uploader. Here's another attempt ...

Netherlands E60 sub forum-sss00543-20100922-0933.jpg
Netherlands E60 sub forum-sss00534-20100921-1809.jpg

Quick Reply: Netherlands E60 sub forum