E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

need tech help with no audio/logic 7/restraint system

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 01:31 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i
Default need tech help with no audio/logic 7/restraint system

I need help trying to get my radio to work correctly. My car is a 2004 545I with 10,000 miles on it.

My car was in a house fire and got hot, hot enough to burn half the paint off and melt the rear bumper left side off and melted the tail light on the drivers side also both mirrors and left door handles are blistered.. just giving history.
The sharks fin melted and I got 3 or 4 used replacements before getting one that had the same connections to the coax cables, the third brake light was melted also.

The car was soaked with water and foam to put out the fire and the car sat for a week until I could start working on it, then I realized it had water in the trunk, and in the rear floor pans and the radio wouldn't work, nor would the tach. or speedo?
I tore out all of the coax cables and rear cabin wires and rewrapped the wires and made sure the coax's werent shorted out.
I tried to buy all the cables and end connectors and with weeks of research found that BMW has discontinued all of them and even though I got part numbers, I couldn't get anyone to sell me the cables or connectors so I could make my own cables.

I tried to buy used ones out of a salvage car but the only yard that would take time to get them for me wanted so much I gave up! It would have been over $1,000 for 7 or 8 cables.

To shorten the story I got everything (that I use regularly) to work except the radio!

I pulled the logic 7 amp and took it apart and just found some slight corrosion on a couple of lands, I cleaned them but still no audio! about 2 weeks after starting to drive the car the radio came on for about 10 minutes and when I turned it off it never came on again!

It appears to be on a local station which it shows on the screen but the mute symbol is on all the time and if I try and move or select different stations it takes manipulating 2 or 3 things at once to get back to the local station---- so the manual and preset station part doesn't work correctly--- does this mean my MASK (head unit) is bad?

I had to replace the dash cluster with a used one and it is all working now but I did see rusty streaks on the dash framework metal so it did get water and foam in the dash but not such a great amount to ruin much, but I suspect it got into the head unit, I took it apart and found no visible issues.

I assumed the high heat in the left rear quarter panel area caused the Logic 7 amp to fry but it did not melt any wire insulation off so I really think it is OK.

The internet is full of people with the same symptoms as me and their car hasn't been in a fire so I'm thinking since my battery was bad due to never driving the car and I replaced it maybe that or the water caused the problems but everyone on the net talks about disconnecting the neg. battery cable for 3 minutes --which I tried to no difference? I tried the reset of holding the volume and 1 eject button at the same time but never saw anything change (don't know if I did it right)

I am now doubting the whole problem and since reading a lot of the TSB's it may be that I just need the whole program updated to take care of these listed problems and also the new one where my passenger restraint system shows a malfunction! These all appear to be listed in the TSB's and state to load the newest version software?

Can someone help me do this, I don't care to pay a reasonable amount but my local dealer is terrible and I refuse to take the care to them and pay their outrageous prices, they are ridiculous!

The bottom line is I have read hundreds of guys problems with the hi output sound system and my problems are very similar but the only resolution I have seen is they had the Logic 7 repaired or the dealer SAID they replaced it for $2,000. before I will pay that I will put some kind of aftermarket radio and amp in.

I really need an experienced BMW tech person, or someone who can help me update the software so I can start eliminating the software then the head unit then if it is the Logic 7 amp I need the guys name that repairs them for a reasonable price I can't find his e-mail address? anyone have it?

Send responses to james69z28@aol.com THANKS IN ADVANCE.