E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some tips. Warranty ending!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 4/50k warranty ends in about 2 weeks. I have 44k miles on my car and will get to 45k for the 45k service. I was wondering what I should ask BMW to replace/fix/adress before my warranty ends? I was thinking of getting a inspection done at a indy shop and then taking the car to BMW with the inspection list and having them fix all the issues. I have a few issues that I wanted to share with you all. And I never got the sunroof seal issue fixed. I never use my sunroof but its good to have it done since its under warranty.

-Even with AC off I hear some sort of fan running at a high speed when car is at idle. This issue just started a few days ago. If the car is off the noise obviously goes away.

-When car is idle the RPM sometimes jump around a bit. Its nothing too serious but it bothers me a bit.

-In the morning the right mirror has inky blue text and it goes away after a while. When folding the mirrors the left mirror makes a grinding noise and BMW said its normal. It sounds pretty bad and I don't think its normal.

-My rear brakes show the same mileage left to replace them for the last 20k miles. I already had other brakes replaced.

-Any fluids I should ask for them to replace?

My E60 has been very reliable. Only issues I have had is fog lights/headlights going out and taillight going out. I can't believe my E60 still puts a smile to my face.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
My 4/50k warranty ends in about 2 weeks. I have 44k miles on my car and will get to 45k for the 45k service. I was wondering what I should ask BMW to replace/fix/adress before my warranty ends? I was thinking of getting a inspection done at a indy shop and then taking the car to BMW with the inspection list and having them fix all the issues. I have a few issues that I wanted to share with you all. And I never got the sunroof seal issue fixed. I never use my sunroof but its good to have it done since its under warranty.

-Even with AC off I hear some sort of fan running at a high speed when car is at idle. This issue just started a few days ago. If the car is off the noise obviously goes away.

-When car is idle the RPM sometimes jump around a bit. Its nothing too serious but it bothers me a bit.
My RPM needle moves around at idle as well, albeit ever so slightly, however I could not hear a corresponding difference in the engine noise. I then went into the secret OBD menu and chose the digital rpm readout. It confirmed that the engine's RPM was indeed rock steady, so it's just the instrument cluster being funny.

-In the morning the right mirror has inky blue text and it goes away after a while. When folding the mirrors the left mirror makes a grinding noise and BMW said its normal. It sounds pretty bad and I don't think its normal.
Do you have automatic dimming exterior mirrors? If so, it could just be the liquid behind the glass that's collected overnight, maybe due to a drop in temperature. The grinding noise on the other hand certainly isn't normal.

-My rear brakes show the same mileage left to replace them for the last 20k miles. I already had other brakes replaced.
Sound like somebody didn't replace the brake pad sensors when changing the pads....

-Any fluids I should ask for them to replace?

My E60 has been very reliable. Only issues I have had is fog lights/headlights going out and taillight going out. I can't believe my E60 still puts a smile to my face.
You might want to try and squeeze a free software update on the car while it's under warranty. You could perhaps say that the iDrive's been playing up/freezing/rebooting and/or the auto tranny (assuming here) hasn't been totally smooth recently (and then try to get them to update every module in the car lol). Worth a shot I guess.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
You might want to try and squeeze a free software update on the car while it's under warranty. You could perhaps say that the iDrive's been playing up/freezing/rebooting and/or the auto tranny (assuming here) hasn't been totally smooth recently (and then try to get them to update every module in the car lol). Worth a shot I guess.
Thanks for the informative post. Yes I do have auto dimming mirrors so that makes sense. Weird how I just noticed the "fluid". As far as the update goes last month I said iDrive was very slow so they updated it. Lost all my coding features but they did update it. Should I ask for it again or no LOL? What do you mean update every module in the car?

The rear brakes have never been replaced. But for the last 20k miles its saying the same amount left to replace them. I feel this is very odd. So any tips on this issue?
Old 07-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

If you are interested, and BEFORE your warranty runs out, I have a friend at Mercury Insurance who will sell you a great warranty at a reasonable price that outperforms the BMW extended warranty! I can't emphasize enough you need to do this before the warranty runs out or the price rockets upward! I also want to mention, I get nothing from the sale of these warranties, I just think my guy is an honest hard working person who can get you a superior warranty for less money and with no deductible too so I choose to share him here with my 5series.net brethren! PM me if you are interested!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Members
Senior Members

My 4/50k warranty ends in about 2 weeks. I have 44k miles on my car and will get to 45k for the 45k service
What does the 45K service entail? My warranty will be out in September and like most I'm trying to get BMW to address as much as possible. So far this year I have done an oil change, Front and rear pads, "those suckers did not replace the rotors" and brake fluid change. I tried to get them to change the microfilter as a musty odor comes out from time to time after starting the car, they said the iDrive is not calling for it and offered me a vent cleaning service for $300.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Members

damn the stealership and their trickery!
Old 07-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol $300 to change the microfilter, there is literally 3 or 4 screws holding it in place and both filters can be bought on Ebay for $40 or so total, what a scam.
Take flyingpuck advice if you plan on getting the extended warranty do it before the warranty ends so the price doesn't get jacked up. I opted not to get a warranty since my car only had around 32k miles when it ended and didn't feel I'd need it, guess we'll find out in the future!
Oh and stay away from "Extended Maintenance Warranty" that warranty is a total rip off and you'd spend much less getting maintenance done at an indy shop.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Members

My warranty ends in November and I'll be lucky if I have 27k miles by then since I'm currently at 25k. Debating whether it's worth the money to spend on a warranty as well or go with an indy since my mileage is low and will most likely continue to be since I travel on business weekly and drive on weekends unless my wife drives it (CURB RASH QUEEN) once or twice a week.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Senior Members

45k service is oil, flush/replace fluids, spark plugs (maybe), few other things. I also get a smelly odor starting the car I will tell them to check it out. I am trying to get them to replace something for the rear brakes. Btw I have CPO warranty until 2013. Should I get the aftermarket warranty?
Old 07-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Thanks for the informative post. Yes I do have auto dimming mirrors so that makes sense. Weird how I just noticed the "fluid". As far as the update goes last month I said iDrive was very slow so they updated it. Lost all my coding features but they did update it. Should I ask for it again or no LOL? What do you mean update every module in the car?

The rear brakes have never been replaced. But for the last 20k miles its saying the same amount left to replace them. I feel this is very odd. So any tips on this issue?
Nah, I doubt anything's changed software wise in one month lol.

Pretty much everything in the car's controlled by software, and each bit of the car is controlled by modules/black boxes containing ecu's... one for the engine, one for immobiliser, one for security etc. I don't know if updated software for any of those modules has ever been released, but the infamous 'transmission slam' has been know to receive a software update to stop the jerkiness. That you could definitely ask for, while you're at it you might as well try your luck on updating the whole car lol (if anything's been released for it that is).

With regards to the brakes, the only thing I can suggest is that either you've been driving like a grandad or the brake pad sensors aren't working properly. Do a visual check on the brake pads and see how they have been wearing perhaps?

Quick Reply: Need some tips. Warranty ending!