E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

need some advice on my recent purchace bmw

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 10:18 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 bmw 545
Default need some advice on my recent purchace bmw

I recently brought a used bmw 545 with 114k in jersey in Newark on september 26 for my birth day. I test drove the car ,it was good no check lights I decided to go on with the deal so i traded my 05 Infiniti g35x plus cash . three weeks later I took my car for inspection and to my surprise it didnt pass.check engine light came on later and it didn't pass because of smoke and also the computer wasnt ready. when I first brought the car it didn't have a inspection sticker. I call the dealer and told them what happend they tell me to bring back the car , all they did was reset the ses light ,I was told that if it came back on to bring the car back that it could be a sensor , light comes back a week later ,I leave the car at the dealer for two days ,i call just to check how there doing with my car, the manager tells me there working on it ,when i get there I asked what work had been done to the car he tells me nothing that it's the valve cover gasket leaking and that's not cover by warranty. at this point I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this purchase , so I decide to have my mechanic inspect the car , when he change the oil and it was jet black an on low , plus the car was also leaking anti freeze and oil.I leave the car there for a day for inspection and he tells me the car was blowing out smoke again , the times I drove the car it would smoke just little I though it was because of condensation plus I've only put 200 miles since I purchase it,i'm always working. back to the mechanic he tells me it could be a headgasket since those are the symptoms of white smoke . I decided to talk to my lawyer he tells there's nothing really to do because of the the time frame but he does tell me to call my finance bank and tell them Ive been defraud .I do that and I was told that the dealer said the car was in good condition which is not since it didn't even pass inspection . the bank tells me there willing to cancel the loan or work something out ,if the dealer doesn't cooperate , they tell me to call up the dealer and give them a chance to fix the problem , I do just that and what a argument we had ,he's telling me that he's not responsible for the car not passing inspection or if the car is leaking anti freeze or oil . but I've read and heard that dealers are not supposed to sell a uninspected car because of road safety. what the dealer proposed was to see what the problem was but if it's not in the warranty he is not doing anything .at this point I just want to return the car and get my deposit . Ive really had a bad experience and I doubt they'll fix anything. what do you guys suggest? sorry for the long story

Last edited by dphantom; 11-06-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Hopefully there are lessons learned from this. I would never ever buy a car without an independent inspection being performed. These days you cannot trust anyone! I would also start the process of getting the loan canceled if you can and if there is no negative impact on you for doing so. If you decide to keep the car then I would give this dealer a timeframe to have it repaired where it passes inspection if this is a requirement for selling a car. I personally have no idea, I lived in NJ once and hated every second of it. I thought the state auto inspection was nothing more than a scam to rip off the people who were still living there...
Old 11-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

warranty with 114k miles? by who?

first find out if the smoke is actually smoke or condensation. big difference. the 545 are known to get worn valve stem seals with age and miles. it wont hurt the car, but you'll get smoke after idling for a while and then take off. one other thing to check.......is the vents for the crankcase that are on the valve covers.
do some searching on here, and you'll find threads about these issues.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:25 AM
New Members

My Ride: 04 bmw 545

how much would a job to change worn valve stem seals be? thanx for the advice you guys im really breaking my head here and hope things take a turn for good
Old 11-06-2013, 06:43 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by dphantom
how much would a job to change worn valve stem seals be? thanx for the advice you guys im really breaking my head here and hope things take a turn for good
On another BMW forum (bimmerfest), there is a member 'bmwoem1'. He is a BMW master tech in New York area and he does this kind of work. I remember seeing a post stating that he'd do this job for significantly lower price than what BMW dealer charges. reach out to him...
Old 11-06-2013, 08:10 AM
New Members

My Ride: 05 545i & 01 316i

So before I get started, I have to throw out this disclaimer: I finish law school in 2 weeks. I am not yet a barred attorney. You CANNOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES RELY ON THE INFORMATION HEREIN. Always seek independent counsel. This is just one enthusiast to another on an internet forum. There are no warranties on this post implied.

First - Get in contact with a consumer protection attorney. If the dealer actively concealed the cars defects from you, and answered you in an affirmative manner -- that the vehicle was in working condition, and gave you implied warranties, such as the vehicle's ability to pass inspection, then the dealer has stepped in a whole mess of shit.

Second - It is very likely your lending institution has attorneys on retainer that deal with things exactly like this for their borrowers. The lending institution has a vested interest in having a car worth the amount of money they lent you to purchase it. Call your lender and ask.

Third - I am sure the contract you signed with you purchased the car had as "as-is" clause. If there were any warranties of fitness, or guarantees it will pass the local state inspection -- then he dealer is hosed, and you can likely get your money back.

Fourth -- I have a 545i with 108k on it right now. I have had to replace almost every seal in the car, save the Coolant Vally Return and Valve Stem Seals (thank God!) Sounds to me like you have Valve Steam seal issues. BMWOEM1 is a great guy to replace this, and while he has the whole car apart to do the repair, you might be able to swing a deal on valve cover gaskets, upper timing chain gaskets, and the coolant valley return, as most of the car will already be apart, and replacing these parts is essentially just the parts at that point.

Fifth - Use this as a learning experience. You are going to be out of pocket for either legal fees or car repairs here. Just accept this and move on.

Good luck.