E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, im trying to see what i should do with my car. I have an 05 545i w/ 83k miles. Ive actually been thinking of selling the car and have it on autotrader but i havent made up my mind completely. Heres my situation: Im 19, with a shitty job making about $260 a week, in college with a possibility that I might not receive financial aid. The car was a gift from my mother and i dont owe anything on it but im basically on my own now so i cant count on my mother anymore. The car is out of warranty and im scared if anything was to happen i wouldnt be able to afford the repairs. Also, if i dont receive financial aid, i would be having to save for college and take out loans. So I either keep the car, spend $50 on gas every week, hope that nothing goes wrong and drive a sweet car (maybe add some mods). OR I sell the car and buy something smaller. I havent gotten much interest on autotrader so far so keeping the car might be my only option.

KEEP:
If you say i should keep the car, give some ideas on small mods to do. My headlights are VERY blurry and they look disgusting so something to fix that would be nice. Im thinking about 8000k foglights but i dont know what kit/bulb im supposed to buy. I also want to remove the trunk spoiler and maybe put an m5 replica. Any other small mods to make the car look nicer would be appreciated.

SELL:
If you say sell the car, then give me some idea on how much i should sell the car or how much you think my car is worth. The car has the following:

Sport Package
Automatic Transmission
Heated Front Seats
Black Interior
Navigation
PDC

It also has the thing where you can see your speed on the front windshield. Whats that called?
I dont know if it has premium sound but the sound is really good.. (how can i know if it does?)

Any help/comments/concerns/questions are welcomed thanks for ur help..

Ive attached some pics:

Old 08-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Senior Members

Keep the car.
You won't able to afford a better car with your current job.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

First of all, don't fret! Second, post up some pics of the car - let's see if she's a keeper

Look, kid: The worst deals are always made out of necessity, you're looking ahead - more than what I did for myself at your age. Want my real honest opinion? I think you should keep the car. This might be a big expense, considering your current salary, but considering a possible repair bill it is not much - if you were to buy an extended warranty contract and spread the payments on a plan, you'd be paying under $200 a month for it, but it would cover you in case something happened. That's what I'd do in your shoes.

Also happens that I sort of re-sell extended warranty contracts, so if you want, I can give you an idea of what you'd be looking at for your car - PM me the car details. But whoever you might get it from, just make sure to do thorough research on the product you're buying. Several other members here know a lot about these things and have posted research notes and results, so if you do a search, you'll find plenty 4-1-1 on this.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Contributors

bro, your rich..you got some "TRUE RELIGION" jeans on you ....nice jeans need a nice ride
Old 08-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by futurerx06' post='981745' date='Aug 19 2009, 01:17 AM
bro, your rich..you got some "TRUE RELIGION" jeans on you ....nice jeans need a nice ride
Good thing he had his hand over his crotch or you'd be telling us the size of his weiner too.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

keep the car. This forum will help u out in case anything happens.

As for the HID fogs, I sell them! Give me a call or text me at the number in my signature
Old 08-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Members

Originally Posted by edkwok99' post='981723
First of all, don't fret! Second, post up some pics of the car - let's see if she's a keeper

Look, kid: The worst deals are always made out of necessity, you're looking ahead - more than what I did for myself at your age. Want my real honest opinion? I think you should keep the car. This might be a big expense, considering your current salary, but considering a possible repair bill it is not much - if you were to buy an extended warranty contract and spread the payments on a plan, you'd be paying under $200 a month for it, but it would cover you in case something happened. That's what I'd do in your shoes.

Also happens that I sort of re-sell extended warranty contracts, so if you want, I can give you an idea of what you'd be looking at for your car - PM me the car details. But whoever you might get it from, just make sure to do thorough research on the product you're buying. Several other members here know a lot about these things and have posted research notes and results, so if you do a search, you'll find plenty 4-1-1 on this.
Pictures are up, are they visible? Im going to pm you right now

EDIT: cant pm you yet, i guess i dont have enough posts.

car info is in the post though, what other info do you need?

Originally Posted by futurerx06' post='981745
Good thing he had his hand over his crotch or you'd be telling us the size of his weiner too.
lmao
Old 08-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='981751' date='Aug 18 2009, 11:21 PM
WTF!!!!BWHAHHAHAHA
Old 08-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

i agree with opinions above that you will not be able to get a nice car with your current job.

BUT.. it has 83K and no warranty.. even though it looks great on the pic. i must say prepare to spend some $$ to maintain this car. You'll definitely need breaks, tires, spark plugs and stuff like that (if you didn't change that yet) It will all run into some $$$. And, eventually, down the road there might be some things like suspension, control arms, etc. And just hope that nothing is wrong with tranny and electronics.

So my advice is to sell the car (at least try) for about 20K, buy something cheap and reliable (like Scion - about 15K new, comes with warranty and some service plans), and have a peace of mind. You will also get some cash out to put on saving in case you need it.

Well, just my opinion. The car is nice (i have the same and not planning to sell). But you don't want it to break and seat on the parking dead because you can't afford to fix it. That happened to my friend's e39 m5. He bought it but now he cant afford to maintain it. His tires are bald and suspension is broken. He don't even drive it just makes payments.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vlad_b' post='981759' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:33 AM
i agree with opinions above that you will not be able to get a nice car with your current job.

BUT.. it has 83K and no warranty.. even though it looks great on the pic. i must say prepare to spend some $$ to maintain this car. You'll definitely need breaks, tires, spark plugs and stuff like that (if you didn't change that yet) It will all run into some $$$. And, eventually, down the road there might be some things like suspension, control arms, etc. And just hope that nothing is wrong with tranny and electronics.

So my advice is to sell the car (at least try) for about 20K, buy something cheap and reliable (like Scion - about 15K new, comes with warranty and some service plans), and have a peace of mind. You will also get some cash out to put on saving in case you need it.

Well, just my opinion. The car is nice (i have the same and not planning to sell). But you don't want it to break and seat on the parking dead because you can't afford to fix it. That happened to my friend's e39 m5. He bought it but now he cant afford to maintain it. His tires are bald and suspension is broken. He don't even drive it just makes payments.
I have about $1200 saved up in case i need to fix something.. How much would a tune up cost me? What parts get replaced with a tune up? Brakes seem good and the transmission/electronics are fine also.

Quick Reply: Need some advice.