E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Rotors & Pads: Help me spend my money.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been doing a lot of research and read a lot of posts. Here's what I am thinking of getting:

Centric StopTech Cross-drilled Rotors (128.34071R/L) - $240pair
HAWK PERFORMANCE HPS BRAKE PADS, SEMI-METALLIC (HB551F.748) $100pair

I've also considered:
R1Concepts Cross-drilled Rotors
EBC REDSTUFF BRAKE PADS, CERAMIC

Reviews?
Opinions?
Resellers?
Old 05-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ufans
I've been doing a lot of research and read a lot of posts. Here's what I am thinking of getting:

Centric StopTech Cross-drilled Rotors (128.34071R/L) - $240pair
HAWK PERFORMANCE HPS BRAKE PADS, SEMI-METALLIC (HB551F.748) $100pair

I've also considered:
R1Concepts Cross-drilled Rotors
EBC REDSTUFF BRAKE PADS, CERAMIC

Reviews?
Opinions?
Resellers?
i've had r1 concepts premium rotors drilled and slotted with hawk hps pads
for about a month now and i love it!! its pretty good quality for the money
i spent.. hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails Need Rotors & Pads: Help me spend my money.-img_0157.jpg  
Old 05-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

R1Concept Rotors + Hawk HPS Pads. Sold tons of sets like this and not a single customer has complained

Michael
Owner
Acute Performance
Old 05-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I have Centric Premium slotted and drilled rotors with HPS pads. HPS pads - would buy again. Centrics - I'd rather go with R1s. But still good product.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:24 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 530i M Sport N52

big thumbs up on redstuff pads, only downside is they squeal a lot for the first 1000 miles...totally quiet now though. the fact that they perform great but put out hardly any dust means i'll buy again.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:54 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

I am also running R1 Concepts Cross-drilled/slotted Rotors with HPS pads from Michael over at Acute Performance. Nothing but great things to say about the product and Micheal's customer service is definitely among the best!
Old 05-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Members

Thanks all for the help. I've decided to pull the trigger on the R1 Concepts drilled rotors (from Acute Performance) and the HPS pads that my installer is getting for me. I hope it all works out.

I must say that the research on what to buy has caused me to conclude that the East Coast mentality (mid-atlantic) is VERY VERY different than the West Coast mentality (california). Most owners and all BMW performance shops around here believe that OEM is the only way to go and would only consider aftermarket stuff from Germany. Regardless of the low statistical probability that Asian-made products could have defects everyone advising me local was floored that I would consider going that route. Actually,... most BMW specialized service centers (non-dealership even) won't even mess with non-OE products and surely nothing that is customer provided. I found one performance/racing shop that was more progressive and supported me getting aftermarket products that they install, but they wouldn't order them since they didn't feel comfortable standing behind the product. I am guessing that most people around here are either buying BMW for the label (vice the performance) or believe that the car is just something that gets them to work (thus they hardly take care of it).

I hope I am right and the large Internet-based audience is correct. The recommendations from everyone around here was Genuine BMW, Zimmerman plain rotors, and texmark pads ... nothing new there... standard OE stuff. Great overall performance w/ lots of brake dust and nothing flashy.

Just think... if I can convert the BMW installer here (RRT Racing) to trust in the R1 Concept rotors then there would be another customer base.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Good choice! I bought the same setup from Michael. Just make sure you clean the calipers well and use a liberal amount of caliper grease and anti squeal to avoid squealing. Also bed them properly.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:46 PM
Members

R1Concept Rotors (from AcutePerformance) and Hawk HPS pads were installed today. Along with brake fluid flush (through ABS), Oil Change, Diff fluid flush, and new battery. Cha-ching!.

Brakes are still getting broken in, but no squeeks as of yet. Everything looks great. I'll get some pics in a few days. The rotors look good through my VMR wheels.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Nice. Did you make sure you bedded the brakes properly? The directions are on the bottom of the box.

Michael
Owner
Acute Performance

Quick Reply: Need Rotors & Pads: Help me spend my money.