E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need quick opinions on purchase possibly going down today

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 07:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I have been working a deal for the last couple days and wanted to get your opinion on if I'm getting a good deal or not.

2004 530i manual, sports pkg, premium pkg, 125k, $12,495, 1 owner, maintained at dealer, carfax is clean. Seller has not wanted to drop the price much ($500), but I felt it was aggresively priced to begin with. He sent me all the paperwork on it, just need to tell him yes, or no.

Pic

Thanks
Old 09-28-2011, 07:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

miles seem high no matter what the price of the car to be honest.

does your budget allow you to spend a few more thousand? if so, take a look at the 16k range and you get step up to a 545i with less miles.

one big bonus here is the manual trans....more reliable.

possible items that you may need to replace soon given that millage would be: thermostat, shocks/springs/struts, full tune up, oil pan, clutch, trans fluid flush...etc.

not to scare you away, just want u to be cognizant.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Stay away from high millage bimmers!!! Spend a little more and get something with lower millage.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:37 AM
Members

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I have bought my last 2 bmws w/over 100k and nothing but routine maintenance. Had my E34 for 4 yrs, sold w/170k. Had my E39 for 7 yrs, sold w/150k. Great cars. I think the thing is to stay w/the I6, and manual trans. I love the 540, 545, but maintenance is just to much on them.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Originally Posted by djlarroc
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I have bought my last 2 bmws w/over 100k and nothing but routine maintenance. Had my E34 for 4 yrs, sold w/170k. Had my E39 for 7 yrs, sold w/150k. Great cars. I think the thing is to stay w/the I6, and manual trans. I love the 540, 545, but maintenance is just to much on them.
Not true...there isn't much difference in maintenance between 545 or 530 besides the bigger displacement. BTW- E60 is a different beast and cannot be compared with E34 or E39 cost wise.

Remember BMW every once in while like to Over engineer their cars and luckily or unluckily E60 was the ginny pig. I would go for 545 personally.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Members

Actually, you are probably right on that. I've read the V8s in the E60 are not as costly to maintain.

Don't want to get off topic though, I don't want a 545, I want the 530. I have done a nationwide search, and for the mileage, condition, options and price, this car seems like a good deal. So I guess I will just have to think about it a bit more and pull the trigger or keep looking.

I am willing to spend more, but if my price goes up, I will be expecting to get into an xi. I'm willing to spend up to $20k as long as it's a great deal.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Senior Members

i fully understand if you do not want the 545i....the fuel costs can be beastly....esp if you have it tuned to run lean/more power like mine is.

i would humbly suggest that you continue searching...125k is simply a lot of miles for the E60 platform. if it were and E39 that were really clean and well maintained id say jump all over it. but the 2004 year of the platform was the guinea pig for the platform and definitely was not perfected/greatly improved until the 2008+ model year IMO....

for 20k id def look at the XI route w/ less miles....keep in mind that XI offsets make aftermarket wheels really hard to purchase/enjoy (if thats your thing).

Happy Hunting!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:34 AM
Members

Thanks for that thought! and I totally agree. I do not like to buy the first model year of a new body style, because there are so many things that are not corrected.

In my research though, I have not found too many things on the '04 E60. Maybe I have missed something?

I see you also have the 2004. Can you tell me what has gone wrong with yours?

Thanks
Old 09-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Senior Members

hmmm.....first let me say i love my baby to death but....

i bought her at 40k miles exactly 1 year ago. since then ive had to replace the brakes, thermostat, battery...

ongoing problems: electrical system is all wonky...i have my Adaptive Steering, Dynamic Drive Control and transmission faults at least once per week. its been in and out the dealer without an exact answer as to what the culprit is....on top of that its out of warranty.

also the power windows act really funny. you cant roll up the driver and passenger side window at the same time or you get an anti-trap error.....this only occurs in park, but not in drive while the car is in motion (go figure).

i can deal with all that but......the transmission is going out as well. 5th gear is slipping. so far ive had the trans fluid flushed but still not sure what the issue it. its at the dealer right now for a full diagnostic (at my full expense). their initial opinion is the torque converter....which cannot be replaced as a single part but only via a new trans ($7k for a new one).

again, ive only got 60k miles on the car and i baby that thing better than most mothers treat their own children.

ive never owned a car (this is my 9th one) thats ever given me more problems than my E60...but then at the same time, ive never loved a car as much as i love my E60...go figure.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Members

Hmmm.. I see. Thanks for your help. Have some more to think about.

Quick Reply: Need quick opinions on purchase possibly going down today