E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need owner of an LCI model to help with tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Thanks Scandic24 we'll wait patiently. Anyone got a Saloon too who can do this for us.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [s]07 E60 535d LCI.Silver.172.Hifi.Ipod.Rear Tints.M Spoiler.[/s] 07 B7 RS4 Avant Misano Red 54 E87 120d Sport Sparkling Graphite

I'll help out this weekend and post back.

Ed
Old 05-11-2007, 03:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='423021' date='May 10 2007, 07:50 PM
What about any EU members.
I will also aim to have a look and post back with answers (and maybe pictures) to your original questions!
Old 05-11-2007, 07:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='422729' date='May 9 2007, 11:44 PM
If you've been following http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=38905 it probably means you don't have an LCI car. What we need is an LCI owner to show us how the tail lights look.

We need to know how to the tail lights look in the following circumstances. Also need to know which bulbs actually light up and if there are dim or bright.

1. Normal lights on.
2. With Brakes on.
3. With Fogs on.
4. With Turn indicators.
5. Lastly which bulbs always remain dimly lit. This is probably the Brake Force Display light.
Actually I followed one on the way home from work last night - a dark blue 520d SE. It had it's rear lights on (even though still daylight - my auto lights had not yet triggered) so I guess he'd set his DRLs or manually put them on to show them off!

1. With normal lights on the light rods were lit together with the round light which doubles as a high intensity fog light in EU
2. On braking the light rods remain on and the main tungsten brake light bulbs illuminate in the same way as an EU pre-LCI ie. the whole area as I don't believe we yet have BFD facility in UK.
3. Didn't see the fogs but presume same as pre-LCI ie. round light just increases intensity
4. Don't understand your point here? Indicators on means all the orange LEDs flash - doesn't affect any of the other bulbs as it didn't in the pre-LCI
5. Only round light is dimly lit with normal lights on. The light rods are on as stated above but none of the brake light tungsten bulbs are lit at all - they only come on under braking.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by dawi' post='423308' date='May 11 2007, 06:26 PM
1. With normal lights on the light rods were lit together with the round light which doubles as a high intensity fog light in EU
2. On braking the light rods remain on and the main tungsten brake light bulbs illuminate in the same way as an EU pre-LCI ie. the whole area as I don't believe we yet have BFD facility in UK.
The pre-LCI fog lights are as bright as the normal tail lights normally,
but when turned on to "fog", they are brighter than the normal lights.
Actually the same W as in the brake lights.

Seems that nothing has changed about the rear "fogs".
Old 05-11-2007, 07:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Originally Posted by dawi' post='423308' date='May 11 2007, 04:26 PM
Actually I followed one on the way home from work last night - a dark blue 520d SE. It had it's rear lights on (even though still daylight - my auto lights had not yet triggered) so I guess he'd set his DRLs or manually put them on to show them off!

3. Didn't see the fogs but presume same as pre-LCI ie. round light just increases intensity
4. Don't understand your point here? Indicators on means all the orange LEDs flash - doesn't affect any of the other bulbs as it didn't in the pre-LCI
5. Only round light is dimly lit with normal lights on. The light rods are on as stated above but none of the brake light tungsten bulbs are lit at all - they only come on under braking.
This is probably what I suspected would be the case. We do have BFD in the UK but they seem to have changed that in pre-LCI and LCI. In the pre-LCI model the middle section was the BFD in the EU cars and the circle light in the US cars. In the LCI models the middle section is now the brake light and the outer section is the BFD.
It would be nice if someone can confirm this who has an LCI car with or without some pictures.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='423323' date='May 11 2007, 11:50 AM
This is probably what I suspected would be the case. We do have BFD in the UK but they seem to have changed that in pre-LCI and LCI. In the pre-LCI model the middle section was the BFD in the EU cars and the circle light in the US cars. In the LCI models the middle section is now the brake light and the outer section is the BFD.
It would be nice if someone can confirm this who has an LCI car with or without some pictures.
Would it be very easy to drive to a dealer and verify how the LCI works. This way you can check all the details. Just a thought.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='423323' date='May 11 2007, 04:50 PM
I thought that the legislation had not yet been passed for BFD in the UK even though the E60 had the facility to expand the braking light area under heavy braking.

My pre-LCI does not have this feature enabled for that reason so that the whole area illuminates on braking, however heavy, rather than the 2 stage affair that I guess other EU countries have and the US has albeit displayed in a different sequence of bulbs.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dawi' post='423334' date='May 11 2007, 05:22 PM
I thought that the legislation had not yet been passed for BFD in the UK even though the E60 had the facility to expand the braking light area under heavy braking.

My pre-LCI does not have this feature enabled for that reason so that the whole area illuminates on braking, however heavy, rather than the 2 stage affair that I guess other EU countries have and the US has albeit displayed in a different sequence of bulbs.
Dawi, you have the same year car as I do so can't see why do don't have BFD enabled. If you have the brochure of the car look at the various features and see how the BFD display looks on the UK car. Then go to your car and you'll notice that when you press the brake in normal situations only the outer light will become bright and not the whole taillight, the middle section will still stay dim. This section is supposed to light up on the BFD. The circle ofcourse is dim or bright depending on the fog setting. Well thats how it works on mine.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

Just picked up my first BMW today, a 520d LCI Platin grau, black dakota. Instead of driving it, I of course first made pictures for you guys

Noteworthy: the car is registered in Belgium. I'll skip further details.

normal lights: beams plus dim center bulb (picture 1)
+ brakes on: both bulbs behind the beams are lit (picture 2)
+ fog light: center bulb lit brightly (picture 3)

Need owner of an LCI model to help with tail lights-img_7031.jpg

Need owner of an LCI model to help with tail lights-img_7032.jpg

Need owner of an LCI model to help with tail lights-img_7030.jpg

Quick Reply: Need owner of an LCI model to help with tail lights