E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 07:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by PhiNally' post='712869' date='Nov 5 2008, 08:10 AM
Alright so I have a dilemma that I want your opinions on even though I?m sure I know what everyone is going to say. I am going to be getting enough money in the next 6 months to cover the mods that I want to get done to my car with a no interest loan. What are you opinions, please any wisdom by anyone would be good.

Option A: Do mods that I want, i.e. body kit, rims, exhaust.

OR

Option B: Pay down my car loan and cut about a year and half off of my loan?

I know the reasonable and intelligent thing to do is pay down my loan but is that really worth it? Thanks everyone.
I say pay down your loan.....because after you do....I'd be willing to bet youre gonna find a way to get the mods done shortly afterwards anyway, so at least this way you'll have at least some of your mods done and you'll be in better shape on your loan as well. Modding is like an addiction as we all know, and its gonna get done no matter what!!
Old 11-05-2008, 07:07 AM
Members

Speeding it on both seems to be the best way for both. The only problem is I am getting rims after winter regardless, 20" not sure which ones yet. With rims I think the 545 looks ridiculous without a more aggressive body kit, ie reiger or mtech still undecided on that. And then if I get the body kit I need dual pipes, I?ve always had dual pipes and for this 545 to not have them seems to out of place. So for me I feel like if I do one the others just follow suit?
Old 11-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Contributors

I'm a newbie to the forum, but not a newbie to life and cars

I personally think credit (debt) is generally a bad thing and will avoid it whenever possible. Last time I financed (whether HP or lease) anything was back in 1990 and I decided then I'd never use it ever again. It gives you a nice warm glow knowing that if you lose your job, you've got no major debts that need paying each month.

Saying all that, naturally I'd say pay down the debt.

Last year my sister asked if she could have a loan from me. She wanted to have her bathroom remodeled and didn't want to wait however long it would take to save up (as they would have to live with the current bathroom all that time). I loaned her the $15k and 15 months later she's only managed to repay $1.5k of it. I don't mind how long it takes to get it back (or if I ever get it back at all - she's my sister), but it's probably feeling like a great burden trying to pay it down. I recently told her to think of it as an investment on my part in her house. If she ever sells it then she can pay me back out of the proceeds. I wonder whether your interest-free loan might be a similar kind of thing. Like I said, stay away from taking on credit (even if it's from family/friends).
Old 11-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='712893' date='Nov 5 2008, 10:38 AM
Option C: pay something extra toward your car loan and get the mods over time as you can afford to pay cash. Half the fun of modding is researching, dreaming and choosing what to do next. If I do everything at once that I want to a car I get bored with it and start looking for my next car, and that costs TONS of money
+1 that is a good one!
Old 11-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

Originally Posted by PhiNally' post='712927' date='Nov 5 2008, 11:07 AM
Speeding it on both seems to be the best way for both. The only problem is I am getting rims after winter regardless, 20" not sure which ones yet. With rims I think the 545 looks ridiculous without a more aggressive body kit, ie reiger or mtech still undecided on that. And then if I get the body kit I need dual pipes, I?ve always had dual pipes and for this 545 to not have them seems to out of place. So for me I feel like if I do one the others just follow suit?
get the rieger, that looks nice especially the quad diffuser!
Old 11-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

PM replied
Old 11-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='712985' date='Nov 5 2008, 12:08 PM
I'm a newbie to the forum, but not a newbie to life and cars

I personally think credit (debt) is generally a bad thing and will avoid it whenever possible. Last time I financed (whether HP or lease) anything was back in 1990 and I decided then I'd never use it ever again. It gives you a nice warm glow knowing that if you lose your job, you've got no major debts that need paying each month.

Saying all that, naturally I'd say pay down the debt.

Last year my sister asked if she could have a loan from me. She wanted to have her bathroom remodeled and didn't want to wait however long it would take to save up (as they would have to live with the current bathroom all that time). I loaned her the $15k and 15 months later she's only managed to repay $1.5k of it. I don't mind how long it takes to get it back (or if I ever get it back at all - she's my sister), but it's probably feeling like a great burden trying to pay it down. I recently told her to think of it as an investment on my part in her house. If she ever sells it then she can pay me back out of the proceeds. I wonder whether your interest-free loan might be a similar kind of thing. Like I said, stay away from taking on credit (even if it's from family/friends).
You're a good brother, if my sister wants 15 grand from me it would need to be for something a little more urgent than a new bathroom... unless that just isn't a lot of money to you...