E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 04:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this came up before, but I need some guidance. My car just returned from it's round the world voyage to my dealer. I saw it there as they were tuning it up for me, installing the phone etc. When I looked around the car, I noticed a ton of light, thin scratches on the right rear trunklid, and a few other light ones on the left side. They looked like they had a small chance at buffing out, but it looked like it was down to the paint. My dealer, whom I have a good relationship with, has not made any offers on what to do yet. I will probably find out today. No one wants a car with 1400 miles and paint work.

Anyway, funny, but infuriating ED story:

I dropped my car off in Vienna, and apparently the clerk there put Huename (<-sp?) as the port to ship to instead of Baltimore (I live much close to the east cost). Normally cars come in to Baltimore, over to SC to the processing center, and then to your dealer. Instead of going to Baltimore and then my dealer, the ship left Europe, went to Nova Scotia and then ALL the way around the US, through the Panama canal, out to CA! My dealer then told me that it would take an additional three weeks to truck it BACK to SC, process it, and then deliver to them.

Well, this would have been fine had I not already paid for the car in FEB! So I called BMWNA and they apologized and had it routed from CA straight to my dealer, which took about 8 days, hence it had not been processed. I got BMWNA to pay for a 5 loaner from my dealer, but like I said before, this delay cost me several weeks, and now the scratches.

I am a reasonable guy who is not looking to stick it to anyone, but I want my car to be as "new" as it was when I dropped it off. Where does the liability lie? The shipper? Anyone been through this before?

What are your thoughts?
Old 05-11-2004, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

Ask your dealer to get BMW NA involved in the conversation. They are responsible for proper processing on the car when it comes back from ED BEFORE it goes to the dealer.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

I would have an absolute fit. I'm not sure if you have an attorney, but I'd speak to the dealer's GM and mention that you'll escalate this as far as you have to.

But what will make you happy though? Sure, they're going to have to have the paint work done by the best shop in town, but what else? Are there any other options that you want? I would insist that BMW NA add them (free) because of the huge inconvenience and loss in value (of the car).
Old 05-11-2004, 03:35 PM
Senior Members

Nothing will turn off BMW NA more than speaking the words "my lawyer will call"... Try to get some satisfaction without mentioning the lawyers. Be polite but firm...

Nothing turns off ALL contact to the customer quicker than mentioning my lawyer will be involved.

What is reasonable for a resolution? BMW NA covering the repaint costs?

Also a note to ED drivers. On all my total 3 ED's I've ALWAYS taking full pictures of the car (in detail) when dropped off at EH Harms (or the other agents). A $7 disposable camera (if you don't have a digital) may save you later.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Members

Really sorry to hear about this. If the car has to be repainted, then I would surly want a replacement especially inlight of what it cost new. Somebody at your dealership accepted the car from the transportation company. So it looks like to me that you will have to resolve this with the dealer. If they don't satisfy you, then BMW NA would be next. After that, you may be into a legal fight. I do think it is a good idea to keep the attorney threats out it until you determine you can't get the resolution you want. So the real question is what will it take to make you a happy customer? Once you know this, then negotiate for it. Just some of my thoughts. Good Luck!
Old 05-11-2004, 04:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

I disagree. Most dealers say they can't do much to help you besides fixing the problem. But what about your inconvenience and possible loss in car value? You need to convey that it's serious and you'll escalate it if they don't make this completely whole. I could care less if it turns someone "off". I think you have already been turned off by this mess.

Nothing will turn off BMW NA more than speaking the words "my lawyer will call"... Try to get some satisfaction without mentioning the lawyers. Be polite but firm...

Nothing turns off ALL contact to the customer quicker than mentioning my lawyer will be involved.

What is reasonable for a resolution? BMW NA covering the repaint costs?

Also a note to ED drivers. On all my total 3 ED's I've ALWAYS taking full pictures of the car (in detail) when dropped off at EH Harms (or the other agents). A $7 disposable camera (if you don't have a digital) may save you later.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Members

I see both sides, but I am not going for an attorney. This is the 3d of many more BMWs I have and will buy (assuming this gets fixed right). One of my friends told me told ask for an extra option as well. They get it at cost, may offset the paint work. I could use some Xenons (BMWNA, are you listening?). To make matters funnier, I had ordered a set of 19" style 128s for it, and when we unboxed them today to put on, they inadvertantly shipped a seven series wheel in lieu of one of my wheels! Not sure how long it will take to get that one shipped here and exchanged. As for the pix, I took a TON at the dropoff site showing NO scratches, so I am covered. We'll see tomorrow if they buff out. Until then....

PS - The comfort headrests would NOT fit on the normal seats, AND the homelink mirror would not work because the car is NOT prewired (I was told it would work). They have a few issues to fix. FYI - can't add homelink mirror without wiring it, I tried!