E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need a new transmission! smh. fml.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 07:35 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: A mean 5 series sitting nice... Lol
Default need a new transmission! smh. fml.

Sooo, I have an 06 525xi with 78,000 miles and I received the TRANSMISSION MALFUNCTION message. I turned the car off n back on and it went away. It happened a few times but I couldn't get it checked because my mechanic was out of town. Then it popped up again but this time wouldn't go away. My mechanic gets back and takes a look at it and I need a new tranny. Any 1 know how much this should cost to fix or what the going rate for a rebuilt vs used tranny is? Anyone know a good place to find one? My mechanic knows but I like to do my research as well. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-11-2014, 08:22 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

What were the error codes that lead your mechanic to declare the trans is dead?

New trans will likely cost around $7K including labor cost.
Remanufactured/used trans will likely cost around $4K.

IMHO, your trans can be repaired by replacing the solenoids alone or the entire mechatronics unit; less than $1500. First understand (not just someone saying "you need new trans") what exactly is wrong with the trans.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

i have almost same problem.. 2006 n52 530i with 63kmiles
i change the fluid and still have like a "metal bang right under the center console.under the car" when i press hard the gas pedal .esspecialy from 5-6. gears
lets say i cruise in D at 80mph at 2800rpm(6th gear)..then..if i have to pass fast i punch the gas pedal..and the car goes in 5th gear ,raise to lets say 6krpm..and then in 1 second change to 6th gear and goes back in 5th(this happen also on DS and on M5-M6)..((

WHAT THIS CAN BE???
i think the only answer for our problems only DEALER CAN answer..witch will cost us $$$
MY DEALER say he couldnt find any falt codes ???i thought if a error disappear by herself it still can be read in the history of the ECU !!
SO HE told me that even if they drove the care ( a technician took the car home for 2 days) he CANT REPRODUCE the same "bang" that i had
i am so sad that such a nice car as ours give us so "x-files" wondering (
good luck..

Last edited by stel_i79; 01-11-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

OP, please post the specific fault codes that were stored.

Sounds to me like you're getting the typical 'shotgun-blast' approach to fixing your car, which takes minimal effort from them and maximum money from you.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:10 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stel_i79
i change the fluid and still have like a "metal bang right under the center console.under the car" when i press hard the gas pedal .esspecialy from 5-6. gears
lets say i cruise in D at 80mph at 2800rpm(6th gear)..then..if i have to pass fast i punch the gas pedal..and the car goes in 5th gear ,raise to lets say 6krpm..and then in 1 second change to 6th gear and goes back in 5th(this happen also on DS and on M5-M6)..((

WHAT THIS CAN BE???
i think the only answer for our problems only DEALER CAN answer..witch will cost us $$$
MY DEALER say he couldnt find any falt codes ???i thought if a error disappear by herself it still can be read in the history of the ECU !!
SO HE told me that even if they drove the care ( a technician took the car home for 2 days) he CANT REPRODUCE the same "bang" that i had
good luck..
Listen carefully to pcy. He is telling you what causes it and what it will probably take to repair it. If you search this and the other main BMW forum you will find posters who have had the same problems you have, and have replace components to make it run like new.

Generally speaking, your DEALER doesn't know SQUAT about the transmission and won't attempt a repair. The DEALER only wants to REPLACE it with a rebuilt unit.

I am not saying you necessarily have the knowledge or skill to do this yourself, but there are repair shops that do. $1500 or $7000. Your choice.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

so in another words i should demand them to replace the solenoids or the megatronics ( if they wore able to read the codes it will be simple..replace one or another but if no codes i should go with the solenoids??)?
thx u
p.s
monday i am going to drive it the way i drive it..with the technician in the passenger seat.. and we see from there

Last edited by stel_i79; 01-11-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:29 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by pcy

IMHO, your trans can be repaired by replacing the solenoids alone or the entire mechatronics unit; less than $1500. First understand (not just someone saying "you need new trans") what exactly is wrong with the trans.
Hi, thanks for your reply!
He said the codes that showed was for gear ratio monitoring 4/5.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:38 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by pcy

WHAT THIS CAN BE???
good luck..
Damn this really sucks... I feel lost with out my car right now. Let me know what they find with yours. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Members
Senior Members

so in another words i should demand them to replace the solenoids or the megatronics ( if they wore able to read the codes it will be simple..replace one or another but if no codes i should go with the solenoids??)?
thx u
p.s
monday i am going to drive it the way i drive it..with the technician in the passenger seat.. and we see from there
I have not heard of BMW dealers doing mechatronic replacements or individual solenoid replacements within the mechatronics unit. Nor do they rebuild alternators, AC compressors or starters.

Dealers provide component replacement. Some are known for replacing multiple components until they stumble upon a solution.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
I have not heard of BMW dealers doing mechatronic replacements or individual solenoid replacements within the mechatronics unit. Nor do they rebuild alternators, AC compressors or starters.

Dealers provide component replacement. Some are known for replacing multiple components until they stumble upon a solution.
The blind-folded Shotgun-blast approach. Eventually, you find the target. But you end up looking a lot dumber than the guy that takes his time, aims properly, and hits the bullseye on the first attempt.

Quick Reply: need a new transmission! smh. fml.