E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need help to verify- non US e60s i-drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 07:42 PM
zag
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

If you are outside US, can you let me know if you have to deal with clearing the warning message everytime you turn on your car?

Like this:

This is supposed to be version 12.1 (non NAV system) and I was told by my local BMW service center this is permanent feature and I am not happy about it after driving for 7 months without having to deal with this when I was on version 10.x
The 7 series i-drive doesn't have the warning message too. so why this for the e60?

I intend to lobby BMW AG to remove this nuisance!

thanks for the help!
Old 08-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Senior Members

Zag,

I share your agony of having to clear this NUISANCE every time you use your E60!

I was supposed to have upgraded to 12.1 and spoke to Charles Ebenzer about informing me the moment this upgrade arrives. This upgrade is supposed to be able to clear the "CD always in track 1" problem. Like you, I am still on V10.x and have not upgraded - Phew

And I would still like to have the aircon icon! Why did they take that away?

Will the recent RECALL (they dare not even term it a RECALL - especially sounded like a safety issue ) to "modify the coding data" automatically upgrade ones CIP to V12.1? Should one hold on till 12.2 (suppose to solve your problem - I read somewhere )

Gee if they "automatically" upgrade and give me the message, then our Friend should be chided - I mean Mr Robert James Friend, General Manager - After Sales

So Zag, maybe hang on for V12.2 or later.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:10 PM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

Originally Posted by Olivin530i' date='Aug 6 2004, 12:29 PM
Zag,

I share your agony of having to clear this NUISANCE every time you use your E60!

I was supposed to have upgraded to 12.1 and spoke to Charles Ebenzer about informing me the moment this upgrade arrives.? This upgrade is supposed to be able to clear the "CD always in track 1" problem.? Like you, I am still on V10.x and have not upgraded - Phew

And I would still like to have the aircon icon!? Why did they take that away??

Will the recent RECALL (they dare not even term it a RECALL - especially sounded like a safety issue ) to "modify the coding data" automatically upgrade ones CIP to V12.1?? Should one hold on till 12.2 (suppose to solve your problem - I read somewhere )

Gee if they "automatically" upgrade and give me the message, then our Friend should be chided - I mean Mr Robert James Friend, General Manager - After Sales

So Zag, maybe hang on for V12.2 or later.
Was on the phone with Chris Brown of PML Alexandra this morning, as usual "we can't do anything.. it is from factory" he told me and tried to get the service consultant to explain to me. I told i want explaination and plan from BMW AG or BMW Asia. I am soooo pissed with this!

I got the recall letter for the seat sensor thing... did they tell you it will rev your software to 12.1? Darn! Stay away from it and demand explanation and fixes to the ill design 12.1
Old 08-05-2004, 10:46 PM
DrT
Members

No ! In Europe we don't have it. It's an indemnity of sorts for BMW (see one of Rudy's posts from a few months ago). That means that all software versions for the US will have it, ours will not. I wonder if there are any more differences between the two ?
Old 08-06-2004, 12:00 AM
Senior Members

yep agree with DrT. I drive a UK E60 and have never seen that warning message come up, idrive screen just comes up as soon as i turn the key. can understand your frustrations though.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:20 AM
Members

I don't own the car yet, but I've test driven it enough times to agree this is incredibly annoying.

Might we organize a letter on behalf of E60 Forums (XXX members, YY% of whom voted against it.....we could do a poll) and ask BMWNA for a way to remove this?

This might be as futile as trying to get the yellow sunshade stickers removed, but it doesn't hurt to try right, and if we want to try then it makes sense to try to use our collective presence rather than write in as an individual?
Old 08-06-2004, 03:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

This all has to do with the sue habits of americans. If they don't have that warning at startup and you get into an accident mosts americans are likely to sue BMW with a big moneyclaim. I've heard of people sueing McDonalds because they got hot coffee over them and the cup didn't say warning hot coffee.. C'mon people everyone knows coffee is hot! Same thing with the I-Drive. We all know we should watch the road and don't play with I-Drive if not necessary...
Old 08-06-2004, 03:35 AM
Contributors

That's right, it is your own fault!

Old 08-06-2004, 04:26 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No verifying of i-drive but all us UK drivers knew that.
My friend has got a new Lexus RX300 over here and he has to verify the navigation everytime he starts his car. He get annoyed too.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:43 AM
Senior Members

This all has to do with the sue habits of americans. If they don't have that warning at startup and you get into an accident mosts americans are likely to sue BMW with a big moneyclaim. I've heard of people sueing McDonalds because they got hot coffee over them and the cup didn't say warning hot coffee.. C'mon people everyone knows coffee is hot! Same thing with the I-Drive. We all know we should watch the road and don't play with I-Drive if not necessary...
probably got a lot of truth in it that post, especially the "sueing" reference.....would be interesting to know what BMWNA's reasons were for making our US friends "accept" responsiblity for driving their E60 with I-drive ON.

Quick Reply: Need help to verify- non US e60s i-drive