E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 09:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i SMG, silver grey, grey Dakota leather, dark poplar, 124's, Nav, Logic 7, PDC, CWP, xenon adaptive lights, comfort seats, electric rear sunshade, hardwired V1, Bluetooth, Aux input, Progman 25, poplar wood trim front lower dash and rear cente

Hi everyone,
Need some help please. Periodically when I re-start my 545 after the car has only been shut off for a short while (like when I'm running some quick errands, etc...) the car will initially start up just fine, but won't idle properly. It stutters a few seconds then just dies. :'( I turn the ignition all the way off, and re-start again and everything is just fine. This has been happening more often recently and I'm wondering if this is happening to anyone else? What do you think the problem might be? Faulty O2 sensor? Any other ideas?

Thanks
Old 12-21-2004, 09:45 AM
Contributors

Not 100% sure if it's the same, but my E39 540 had that problem, as did many, apparently, and the culprit was typically either the camshaft position sensor (CPS) or the mass air flow meter (MAF).

In any case, it's clearly a warranty issue, and let's hope it doesn't become common for our 545s.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:16 AM
TMC
Members

Had similar in my E39 - MAFS, O2 sensors, crank or camshaft position sensors I'd say.

Take it to BMW and get them to run a diagnostics on it - it may have turned up a SES fault code
Old 12-21-2004, 01:19 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i SMG, silver grey, grey Dakota leather, dark poplar, 124's, Nav, Logic 7, PDC, CWP, xenon adaptive lights, comfort seats, electric rear sunshade, hardwired V1, Bluetooth, Aux input, Progman 25, poplar wood trim front lower dash and rear cente

Thanks for the comments. I have a service appointment tomorrow so hopefully it will be easily resolved. Of course this usually only happens when I have a passenger in the car to give me grief about how my new, expensive BMW can't idle properly... ugh!!!