E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need help! Heater blowing cold air!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by E60 Driver' post='811541' date='Mar 9 2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks for all the help and suggestions!!!! I think I will have a chance to look at it more closely this weekend and I think I'm going to start off by replacing the thermostat first and see if that helps!
Good!....probably the culprit & is a cheap part.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 S4 & 07 BMW X3 (wife's) 2004 525 Black on Black 6spd (lease just ended)

I am too in MN with a 07 530 with heater issues. My car is under warranty and I originally took it in to have the heater fixed describing the problem that it blew out cold air and would never warm up. The dealer called to say my car was done. Upon picking up the car they were nice to tell me they changed the wipers, but we did not fix the heater. Excuse me??

They said in the upper mid-west there have been some e60's( about a dozen) that have had heater issues and the engineers have no idea what the problem or solution is. The dealer was instructed by BMW to give me my car back - Hello, do they know how cold MN is in January?? They said could not duplicate the issue in Jersey as it does not get that cold so they had to fly in a Tech. After weeks of tearing apart cars they finally identified the issue but said a special harness was needed to be manufactured. I finally received the call they had the part ready and my car goes in next week.

What really surprised me is BMW N. America instructed the dealer to send me home with my car and they would notify me in 6-8 weeks when they have a resolution. Shocked they would not do anything. They did promise me some type of compensation for freezing my ass off in a $52k car for 3.5 months. They are pushing accessories my way. They are offering the IPod adapter. I asked for the Logic 7 and they said nope.

My wife and I have purchase 6 different BMW's in the last 7 years. I think it may be time to look at the Mercedes family. The dealer has been supoortive but neither seem to give a shit about the loyalty to the owner.

Love the car but the heater thing has been an issue. Once I get the full story on the part and issue I will update. Hopefully the pony up more than a IPOD kit for the poor sound system.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by scottygolf' post='836245' date='Apr 4 2009, 01:56 PM
I am too in MN with a 07 530 with heater issues. My car is under warranty and I originally took it in to have the heater fixed describing the problem that it blew out cold air and would never warm up. The dealer called to say my car was done. Upon picking up the car they were nice to tell me they changed the wipers, but we did not fix the heater. Excuse me??

They said in the upper mid-west there have been some e60's( about a dozen) that have had heater issues and the engineers have no idea what the problem or solution is. The dealer was instructed by BMW to give me my car back - Hello, do they know how cold MN is in January?? They said could not duplicate the issue in Jersey as it does not get that cold so they had to fly in a Tech. After weeks of tearing apart cars they finally identified the issue but said a special harness was needed to be manufactured. I finally received the call they had the part ready and my car goes in next week.

What really surprised me is BMW N. America instructed the dealer to send me home with my car and they would notify me in 6-8 weeks when they have a resolution. Shocked they would not do anything. They did promise me some type of compensation for freezing my ass off in a $52k car for 3.5 months. They are pushing accessories my way. They are offering the IPod adapter. I asked for the Logic 7 and they said nope.

My wife and I have purchase 6 different BMW's in the last 7 years. I think it may be time to look at the Mercedes family. The dealer has been supoortive but neither seem to give a shit about the loyalty to the owner.

Love the car but the heater thing has been an issue. Once I get the full story on the part and issue I will update. Hopefully the pony up more than a IPOD kit for the poor sound system.
BMWs are made for and driven in climates colder than Minnesota .. .. IMHO in that situation (3 months winter in MN) you should have pushed for an equivalent loaner. How did you ever defrost your windows???
Old 04-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 S4 & 07 BMW X3 (wife's) 2004 525 Black on Black 6spd (lease just ended)

Defrost worked ok - honestly it was too cold to need the defrosters. It was all a heat issues - my feet froze because you could not regulate anything. Still working on trying to get more for my troubles. I just find it odd in today's world and with the auto industry struggling that BMW would not show concern. I even sent an email into them via their owners circle with no reply of any sorts.

I have asked the Svc Mgr for the contact at BMW N. America to make a call. I did ask for a loaner, buy back, sell me a 535i/550i program car, I was willing to work with them but zero, ziltch - My thought is when my wife's X3 is done they can have and see ya...back to Audi for her.

I have everything on my car I want but the Logic 7 that I used to have in my 04. So any new accessory does not really appeal to me.

We'll - I apologize but the more I think about this the more I get pissed at them. Oh well...
Old 04-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: It's an E60 545I 6 speed.

I'm having the same issues with my car. On a long trip, I noticed my auto setting wasn't getting the cabin warm enough, so I had to keep adjusting the knobs to a warmer setting. It blew hot for a while, then cold as ice again. It never stayed a nice warm tem to keep the cabin around 72. Another thing that I noticed, the A/C didn't work on a semi warm day. I had the a/c button on, as well as max, still luke warm air. And my defrost doesn't work, and the middle vents do not blow. Overall, the climate system on my E60, BLOWS!

I'm having a BMW tech, that works for an independant shop, look at the car on Monday.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Banned

I do not think this is applicable to your case because mine never blew ice cold air but rather luke warm air no matter how long the car was on. I ended up randomly changing the two micro filters and voila, the heat was fixed. Got really hot quickly. I lived in arizona for the majority of the car's life and it is way dusty there, the filters were very very dirty and am thinking they were not letting much heated air through.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: It's an E60 545I 6 speed.

I changed the microfilters myself, and had BMW in Salt Lake reset them in I drive.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by scottygolf' post='836271' date='Apr 4 2009, 01:31 PM
Defrost worked ok - honestly it was too cold to need the defrosters. It was all a heat issues - my feet froze because you could not regulate anything. Still working on trying to get more for my troubles. I just find it odd in today's world and with the auto industry struggling that BMW would not show concern. I even sent an email into them via their owners circle with no reply of any sorts.

I have asked the Svc Mgr for the contact at BMW N. America to make a call. I did ask for a loaner, buy back, sell me a 535i/550i program car, I was willing to work with them but zero, ziltch - My thought is when my wife's X3 is done they can have and see ya...back to Audi for her.

I have everything on my car I want but the Logic 7 that I used to have in my 04. So any new accessory does not really appeal to me.

We'll - I apologize but the more I think about this the more I get pissed at them. Oh well...
Scotty where did you bring your car for service, Motorwerks or Sears?
Old 04-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='836644' date='Apr 4 2009, 11:36 PM
Scotty where did you bring your car for service, Motorwerks or Sears?
I took into Sears and I have spoke to the Svc Mgr at Motorwerks. They were both good - same story, the Svc Mgr at Motorwerks I believe was the lead guy involved with this issue.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by scottygolf' post='837233' date='Apr 5 2009, 06:07 PM
I took into Sears and I have spoke to the Svc Mgr at Motorwerks. They were both good - same story, the Svc Mgr at Motorwerks I believe was the lead guy involved with this issue.
Sears shouldn't have let you drive this car with this problem unresolved. I can't believe that BMW NA would have told Sears to send you home without a loaner car and made you drive without heat. Something just doesn't smell right on Sears end with this whole situation.

Scotty, try PMing this member BMW NA Customer Relations http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showuser=1120 Link them to this thread or explain the difficulties you are having. He/She is from BMW NA and chimes in from time to time to deal with unresolved problems.

Just FYI, Motorwerks made this list, Sears did not. You might have more luck bringing your car into Motorwerks next time. http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=73155&st=0

Let us know what you find out.

Quick Reply: Need help! Heater blowing cold air!