E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need help - fried computers in trunk!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528xi
Default Need help - fried computers in trunk!

Long story, but I'll keep it short.

I always keep a bottle of washer fluid in my trunk in the winter. One day, the bottle tipped and some spilled out. I had no idea that there are several modules under the spare tire (until I read the relocation threads in this forum).

Needless to say, I fried the ULF module, the TPMS module and the distance control module. My dealership quoted me $4000 worth of work to replace the modules and rewire the system.

When I asked if I could just only replace the 1 module that I care about (the ULF that controls the radio and the bluetooth), they told me no... all modules had to be replaced, otherwise, the re-programming would bomb out and the ULF still wouldn't work.

So here's where I need help:

1. Am I just being fed a whole hunk of BS from the dealership? Can I just replace 1 module and leave the other 2 fried?

2. Does anyone know of a good shop in the Toronto area that could get this done cheaper than the dealership?

Thank you much in advance. I've been going crazy driving without a radio and bluetooth.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Members

Oh, just to add to my second question... I've contacted RMP Motors in Etobicoke, and they think they can do it cheaper. I'm still waiting on another response to see if they can get me in.

Still, I'd like to know if I have to do all of the work the dealer says? I don't really care if I have TPMS or distance control. (I've driven 18 years without either of these technologies, and things have been just fine!)
Old 03-19-2013, 03:19 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Rubbish! you do not need to replace all the modules, just what you need and you can also go used on the TPM and PDC without programming just plug and play. On the bluetooth you can also plug and play a used one but some features might not be available until you program it to your VIN and code it. I replaced bluetooth, amp, pdc and TPM, all from ebay. I got the Bluetooth for $90, tpm for $60 (brand new, it is still not programmed or coded), and PDC was $120. get the parts used and install them yourself then see if you can find a forum member in your area who can program them for you.

Also, the blutooth should be in the MOST network, it doesn't affect your tpm or pdc but if it is not operational it will break the network and render the other components on the network inoperable (amp, CCC/MASK, CDC).
Old 03-19-2013, 03:22 PM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Sucks, doesn't it? I'd actually be surprised if the modules were really 'fried' rather than contaminated with liquid. Before I laid down that kind of dough I'd open them and see if they could be cleaned, dried and re-fitted. Cellphones that have run through the wash (a friend's Blackberry) worked after being properly dried.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Sammy Adams
Oh, just to add to my second question... I've contacted RMP Motors in Etobicoke, and they think they can do it cheaper. I'm still waiting on another response to see if they can get me in.

Still, I'd like to know if I have to do all of the work the dealer says? I don't really care if I have TPMS or distance control. (I've driven 18 years without either of these technologies, and things have been just fine!)
I forgot to mention. You can also get the following parts to complete your most network which will give you your radio back while you wait for a permanent fix. They are fairly inexpensive from the dealer or vendors. You would need both.

Fiber Optic MOST interface - 61136931507
Fiber Optic connector - 61136917978
Old 03-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Gee_115
I forgot to mention. You can also get the following parts to complete your most network which will give you your radio back while you wait for a permanent fix. They are fairly inexpensive from the dealer or vendors. You would need both.

Fiber Optic MOST interface - 61136931507
Fiber Optic connector - 61136917978
Wow Gee! That is great news that all I have to do is to get those two fibre optic parts to get my radio working again.

I just checked these parts, and I just wanted to ask if those parts work for an E60? (2008 528xi)

Thanks again. You've been super helpful in saving me from a dealership fleecing.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Sammy Adams
Wow Gee! That is great news that all I have to do is to get those two fibre optic parts to get my radio working again.

I just checked these parts, and I just wanted to ask if those parts work for an E60? (2008 528xi)

Thanks again. You've been super helpful in saving me from a dealership fleecing.
SORRY! Spoke too soon. I missed the compatibility when I did my search. Found it!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

When this happened to me, I played dumb "water in the trunk? i dont know HOW that could have happened! I didnt put water in there" dealer replaced all under warranty

post-repair, consider remounting the modules as forums recommend
Old 03-22-2013, 12:44 PM
New Members

I went through this last summer. Not quite to your extent, but my PDC was fried.

What I would do? I would order all the modules you know are bad. I think you mentioned the dealer gave you a list. Check out 'BMW of South Atlanta' . they are one of the only BMW dealers that sell to the public (online) and their prices are great. BMW here wanted $435 for my PDC module. I got it from BMW S. Atlanta for $379 . If you're buying 3 or 4 modules, that might add up to a few hundred bucks in savings.

As far as the wiring, I would definately have that replaced as well. The good news is that you probably only suffered 'water ingress' at the point of the flood, and only the wires in the general area (along wtih the connectors. REPLACE THE CONNECTORS TOO!) should need to be replaced.

:EDIT:
After I read this, I thought I would point out: THIS IS AN ASSUMPTION. Every case is unique, but from what I know about electricity, it would be impossible for the wiring located away from the moisture to be damaged. Modules connected to the other end of said wire? Who knows. A Volt-Ohm-Meter could probably tell you this, but electricity is not always the easiest thing to deal with. I would HIGHLY recommend letting a pro take a look. It's not (usually) worth the headache for a flood situation like this. But to each his own of course!

any indy shop that works on modern BMWs should be able to handle it for you. If you can find one that lets you supply the parts, I'm sure you can get it all done for quite a bit under that $4000 mark. All told I paid $560 for the PDC module, the re-programming, and the re-location from my indy shop.

Best of luck man. I know how pissed I was when it happened to me. I would also reccomend the module relocation at the same time. It's worth it for the peace-of-mind alone.

Last edited by ronmexico; 03-22-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Members

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I'm not an electrician, but I've worked in an engineering shop for a few years, so I feel comfortable with how wiring and communications fibre optics work. I guess I was always scared to touch anything on a BMW because there's some pretty high tech components. I felt a lot better reading this:

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/BMW_docs/mostbus.pdf

From seeing how the MOST flows, I've got a good hunch that as Gee suggested, I can "jump" the ULF to get my radio working again. I'm pretty certain that this will work, because 1) everything before the ULF seems operational, 2) the ASK is acting up, but the instrument cluster seems fine, and I know the ASK wasn't water damaged because it's located in the dashboard assembly, and 3) I'm sure the dealership would have quoted me all of the units they could possibly charge me for after doing their diagnostic and giving me a quote.

Anyway, I ordered the two parts that Gee suggested, as I don't mind not having bluetooth. They just shipped from BMW of South Atlanta. Once I get them in, I'll let you all know how it goes! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Need help - fried computers in trunk!