E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need help - BMW can't figure out what's wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 06:59 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545
Model Year: 2004

So took my car in last Friday because it was leaking power steering fluid.
They took me out back and showed me that a couple hoses were leaking.

I said OK - looks legit - go ahead and replace them.
While I was out in the shop the tech said that your engine gasket seal also needs to be replaced as its causing a leak, as well.
idrive didn't mention this, but he showed me where it was leaking and I said OK - replace that too.

Total was around 1350 for all the repairs.

Well, when they put the engine back together they told me that something went wrong and they were experiencing a rough idol and loss of power.

Well it's been one week and they had a subject matter expert tech out there today - and he was shaking his head.
So, anyway, the SME told the tech to run through a series of operations, one by one, to see if that solved the problem.
Well, they didn't get through all of them today - so I'm without my car for yet another weekend.

What should I do - what are my options? Call BMWNA?

Please help - as I do not see any end in sight and hate driving this bone stock 3 series around!
Old 08-27-2011, 03:40 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

You should've asked for a loaner car for you to drive while they repair your car.

Most likely, replacing the o-rings at the respective hoses/connectors will solve the PS fluid leak.

>> While I was out in the shop the tech said that your engine gasket seal also needs
>> to be replaced as its causing a leak, as well.idrive didn't mention this...

iDrive won't know anything about any leaks, unless/until the respective fluid level falls below the predetermined level (like oil, brake fluid, etc.)

Call the service manager and politely insist on getting a loaner car. That may yield faster turn around on your car.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:00 AM
Contributors

I, of course, have a loaner - thought that was inferred when I said: "I hate driving this bone stock 3 series around!"
Old 08-27-2011, 07:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Not sure what kind of options you are looking for. They are working on the car, trying to fix any problems, gave you a BMW to drive. What more do you want?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Contributors

So after 5 weeks - seems like I will be getting my car back tomorrow.

Damage for Power Steering Leak:
Replaced power steering hoses $470
Labor $490

Damage for Engine Leak:
New Valve cover gaskets $225
8 spark plug pipes $294
Cylinder head cover $588
Labor $952

After the two services mentioned above they couldn't get power to my engine. After 3 weeks of trying a million things they came back and said all was well when they simply replaced the MAF sensor.
Damage: New MAF Sensor $550

Out the door paid $3300 - talked them down from $3900 as I told them I didn't feel responsible for the MAF sensor.

Initially picked up the car last week after all services mentioned above only to hear all sorts of noises coming from the engine. Immediately turned back and got into another loaner and told them I wouldn't be paying another dime and they needed to make my car right.

They said the engine was making all the noises it should and blamed the cabin noise due to windshield not being sealed properly and my dipstick was hitting part of the engine causing the noises which got into the cabin.

They re-set my windshield and moved the dipstick away from contacting any part of the engine. They said my car became so quiet inside that they noticed something else making a noise. Turned out to be my vacuum pump. To my surprise my SA said that they would take care of replacing it at NO COST. I knew I had the problem as I really had to hit the brake hard to make it stop. So, this was very good news to hear as it wasn't covered under the original recall they performed back in Feb.

Needless to say I am extremely excited to get my baby back tomorrow!! Keep your fingers crossed for me, I'm really hoping all has been fixed and the girl is better than ever
Old 09-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Oh man, that's a steep repair cost. Which dealership did you take your car into? 5weeks is a long time. Enjoy your ride!!
Old 09-21-2011, 04:09 AM
pcy
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

$3300 for changing couple of PS hoses and changing valve cover gasket? Took them 3 weeks because something went wrong? "Dip stick hitting something in engine" HOW?????? Did they put in a dipstick from entirely different car? Dipstick goes in to the pan pointing downward. No moving part there.

Tech must've dropped something in to the engine when the valve cover is off.

Important thing is that you are ok with it. :-)

Please tell me the name of that place, I will make sure that I won't go anywhere near that place, ever.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Originally Posted by p3style
While I was out in the shop the tech said that your engine gasket seal also needs to be replaced as its causing a leak, as well.

Total was around 1350 for all the repairs.

Originally Posted by p3style
Damage for Power Steering Leak:
Replaced power steering hoses $470
Labor $490
Thats f**king expensive.

Damage for Engine Leak:
New Valve cover gaskets $225
8 spark plug pipes $294
Cylinder head cover $588
Labor $952
Why did they replace all of these parts? I thought just the engine gasket seal needed replacing?

After the two services mentioned above they couldn't get power to my engine. After 3 weeks of trying a million things they came back and said all was well when they simply replaced the MAF sensor.
Damage: New MAF Sensor $550
WTF!?!?!? If it was fine before hand, and not fine afterwards, obviously the mechanic is incompetent and must have broken it. (MAF's are really sensitive, and easy to break)

Out the door paid $3300 - talked them down from $3900 as I told them I didn't feel responsible for the MAF sensor.

Initially picked up the car last week after all services mentioned above only to hear all sorts of noises coming from the engine.
They said the engine was making all the noises it should and blamed the cabin noise due to windshield not being sealed properly and my dipstick was hitting part of the engine causing the noises which got into the cabin.
Again, what an incompetent mechanic, can't even do his job properly. The car wasn't making those noises before he touched it...
Old 09-21-2011, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

wow, hope they lubed you up before you got raped.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Contributors

OK - got the car back - running better than I bought it - thank god!
My MAF must have needed a cleaning...

Anyway, not going back to that dealer(Center) even though they replaced the vacuum pump ($950) for free - and gotta admit my brake feel is much better now.

It doesn't seem like their techs now what they're doing. I mean it's a 2004! They must have serviced 100's of these V8's by now!

Just glad I got the car back and that its running awesome!

Already did a mod when I came back home - put on my smoked led sonar tails and getting bruce's cables for them to make them even better