E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:29 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...
Thumbs up

Ok, so, this has been going on for as long as I owned the car. Everytime my gas guage reaches 3/4 of a tank and 1/4 of a tank, the check engine light comes on. wait! I know what your going to say, make sure you are putting the cap on right. Well, I am. It only happens at 3/4 tank and 1/4 tank. I went to the dealer many times already concerning this. Now, my warranty is up and I still have the same problem. IT IS ANNOYING!!!

My wife took the car in last week and the dealer told her it was a wiring issue and had her fork up 100 Euros after "replacing" some wiring. Yesterday, the darn thing lit up again.

What I want to know is

1. What the heck could it be? Whenever they do a diagnostic it returns with nothing wrong.

2. Could the gas cap be faulty?

3. How do I silently kill my dealer?

4. Can this still be covered under warranty because they "fixed" it?

Thank you much

Tonymac
Old 08-31-2009, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Maybe a problem with the ventilation.
Mine seems to have a problem there lately, hopefully just a loose wire.

The dealer does have the possibility to check the error code. It is logged!
When my dealer checks the codes it says: No errors.
But when he runs the diagnosis software he finds the logged errors, and that's where he find a problem with the ventilation.

I dunno if you experience the same problem, but the dealer is able to find it.

Now, killing your dealer silnetly... Don't you have a silencer?
Old 08-31-2009, 11:43 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Could it be the gauge cluster? this has got to be really annoying, pal

PS I'm not a pro at this, but I'd say if you wanna kill someone silently, you just stay silent while you're killing him/her... A much wiser thing would be to make him/her live and fix the problem though - they'll be begging for a mercy kill by the time its done
Old 08-31-2009, 11:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='994639' date='Sep 1 2009, 09:39 AM
Maybe a problem with the ventilation.
Mine seems to have a problem there lately, hopefully just a loose wire.

The dealer does have the possibility to check the error code. It is logged!
When my dealer checks the codes it says: No errors.
But when he runs the diagnosis software he finds the logged errors, and that's where he find a problem with the ventilation.

I dunno if you experience the same problem, but the dealer is able to find it. wink.gif

Now, killing your dealer silnetly... Don't you have a silencer? whistling.gif

LOL... I suppose I could "acquire" a silencer...

So, what dealer do you go to?

If it is logged, do you would think they would check that right? Every time I go for this issue, they say there is nothing wrong... It is frustrating. I did not pay so much (too me it is very much money) to continue to get service like this. I know things will go wrong but they don't seem to interested in fixing it. I may have to write a letter/email/call someone...

Thanks Iceman
Old 08-31-2009, 11:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='994641' date='Sep 1 2009, 09:43 AM
Could it be the gauge cluster? confused.gif this has got to be really annoying, pal

PS I'm not a pro at this, but I'd say if you wanna kill someone silently, you just stay silent while you're killing him/her... whistling.gif A much wiser thing would be to make him/her live and fix the problem though tongue.gif - they'll be begging for a mercy kill by the time its done laughing.gif
It is.... very, very annoying. Every time it lights up I try to hold in the yell...

It may be the cluster guage, but if they don't agree it won't get fixed.

Hahhahahhaa!!! I guess you are right. I have to work on my being quiet though...

garrrr!
Old 08-31-2009, 11:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tonymac' post='994642' date='Sep 1 2009, 03:44 AM
LOL... I suppose I could "acquire" a silencer...

So, what dealer do you go to?

If it is logged, do you would think they would check that right? Every time I go for this issue, they say there is nothing wrong... It is frustrating. I did not pay so much (too me it is very much money) to continue to get service like this. I know things will go wrong but they don't seem to interested in fixing it. I may have to write a letter/email/call someone...

Thanks Iceman
just go on the internet and complain!
Old 08-31-2009, 11:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tonymac' post='994645' date='Sep 1 2009, 03:45 AM
It is.... very, very annoying. Every time it lights up I try to hold in the yell...

It may be the cluster guage, but if they don't agree it won't get fixed.

Hahhahahhaa!!! I guess you are right. I have to work on my being quiet though...

garrrr!
just hold the screams of exaltation until you've got a firm control of your surroundings
Old 08-31-2009, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

My dealer is pretty helpfull on things like this.
They have a very good technician there, who will be back from vacation next week.

On my car it was a bit easier for them, because the light was on and no error was shown!
So they started the diagnosis software and found a logged error with the ventilation. Now they need to find out if it broke or if it's just a loose wire.

The normal procedure for them is to check the error codes. If no error codes are shown, they tend to tell you everything is OK (now!!!).
I don't know why the most dealers don't "search".
I mean, I am going to the dealer because they can diagnose much better than I and they can definately fix it better than I can. So, checking error codes and then just change the related parts... I don't really need a dealer for that! If it's that easy I can do it myself.
Thing is, the computer doesn't allways shows you instantly what really goes on, so a good technician is needed to find the problem and solve it.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='994653' date='Sep 1 2009, 09:56 AM
My dealer is pretty helpfull on things like this.
They have a very good technician there, who will be back from vacation next week.

On my car it was a bit easier for them, because the light was on and no error was shown!
So they started the diagnosis software and found a logged error with the ventilation. Now they need to find out if it broke or if it's just a loose wire.

The normal procedure for them is to check the error codes. If no error codes are shown, they tend to tell you everything is OK (now!!!).
I don't know why the most dealers don't "search".
I mean, I am going to the dealer because they can diagnose much better than I and they can definately fix it better than I can. So, checking error codes and then just change the related parts... I don't really need a dealer for that! If it's that easy I can do it myself.
Thing is, the computer doesn't allways shows you instantly what really goes on, so a good technician is needed to find the problem and solve it.
Hmmm, that is an hour and a half away from me... I will recommend that the dealer check the log, remind them that I have a gun and tell them if the have any questions they can talk to the Iceman. LOL... Well, I am off to try for the last time before I talk to someone with the power to fire.

Thank you very much guys

Maybe someone that has had this problem can chime in (hopefully nobody else has)

Tonymac
Old 09-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tonymac' post='994666' date='Sep 1 2009, 04:12 AM
Hmmm, that is an hour and a half away from me... I will recommend that the dealer check the log, remind them that I have a gun and tell them if the have any questions they can talk to the Iceman. LOL... Well, I am off to try for the last time before I talk to someone with the power to fire.

Thank you very much guys

Maybe someone that has had this problem can chime in (hopefully nobody else has)

Tonymac
^that's^ one thing we should always remind all dealers of at all times IMHO