E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need Help...545i brakes get's stiffed

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
I got a recall letter (as did a lot of members) last November titled: Recall Campaign No. 10V-446 Brake Vacuum Pump. In this letter, it gives a description of the problem as this:

"This issue involves the power assist braking function. A small amount of oil could leak from the brake vacuum pump into the brake vacuum hose. Over time, contamination of the brake booster could occur. This could affect the power assist braking function. In an extreme case, loss of the power brake assist could occur. The service brake control would still be available to slow and stop the vehicle, although this would require greater brake pedal force."

Hope this helps

This is what I'm doing to the brakes... I'm forcing a lot of pressure on the pedal.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

If oil entered the brake booster, then it along with the brake master cylinder will be replaced.

The letter also state that "this work will be performed free of charge". Now this statement sounds pretty vague, if not, misleading. The labor may be free but the parts won't be. If I recall correctly some members were charged into paying for some parts their dealer replaced. Be warned! Good luck

Old 08-01-2011, 11:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
If oil entered the brake booster, then it along with the brake master cylinder will be replaced.

The letter also state that "this work will be performed free of charge". Now this statement sounds pretty vague, if not, misleading. The labor may be free but the parts won't be. If I recall correctly some members were charged into paying for some parts their dealer replaced. Be warned! Good luck

Do you know by any chance where can I get this recall letter?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Members

Found this on Bimmerfest

1. NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 10V446000
Recall Date:
2010-10-01

Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2004-2010 5-SERIES, 6-SERIES, AND MODEL YEAR 2002-2008 7-SERIES VEHICLES. A CHECK VALVE OF THE BRAKE VACUUM PUMP MAY LEAK A SMALL AMOUNT OF LUBRICATING OIL. OVER TIME THIS COULD RESULT IN CONTAMINATION OF THE BRAKE BOOSTER.

Consequences:
POWER ASSIST BRAKING PERFORMANCE COULD BE ADVERSELY AFFECTED. IN EXTREME CASES THERE COULD BE A COMPLETE LOSS OF POWER ASSIST BRAKING. AN UNEXPECTED REDUCTION OR LOSS IN POWER BRAKING ASSIST MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED A REMEDY OR AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE FOR THIS CAMPAIGN. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-525-7417.

Component Affected:
SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULICOWER ASSIST:VACUUM

Potential Cars Affected:

Notes:
BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC
Old 08-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Members

Speaking of Crash.. I luckily avoided 2 cars at the stop.

Can't have my kids in the car again with that happening!
Old 08-02-2011, 04:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Hard Brake Pedal = Vacuum Pump!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Members

I'm having exactly the same problem with my car! '05 545 with 75K miles and within the past couple of weeks the brakes would work fine until I pressed harder on the pedal. Then they would kind of push back a little and get hard. Ive checked the fluid level, all the brake hardware and looked for leaks. Removed the new vacuum line BMW installed with the recall last fall and checked it to ensure no leaks on it. In the next couple of day I'm going to check the vacuum the pump is drawing. I don't have any leaks around the pump and the new vacuum line is dry inside so I know oil is not making it's way to the booster. The symptoms make me wonder if the pump is working but not pulling the full amount of vacuum. Does anyone know if this sounds reasonable or has experience with this? I love this car, but 2011 has been an expensive year for repairs! Brakes , set of tires, water pump, SMG pump and now this.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i | Jet black/black | Sports Package | Navigation | BlueTooth

I have an 05 545 and I had a problem that was similar to this, the brakes would get hard, and it almost felt like the brakes were very weak. I thought nothing of it until one day I was driving and brakes stayed on (like I was slamming on the brakes the entire time the car was on). I was at a whataburger in my area and had to slam the gas pedal down just to move which resulted in me burning rubber throughout the drive-thru/parking lot. I ended up having to get it towed, turned out to be the master cylinder. I tried to see if they would take fault seeing as though I did the recall through them about 6 months beforehand, but they said it just happens and the recall had nothing to do with it.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW M5

I had the same experience with my brakes, it was the vacuum pump, got that and master cylinder replaced free as part of the recall
Old 08-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i 19" MRR GT1 Interior LED retrofit

Take it to a dealer or indy mechanic ASAP. Brakes are one thing yoou don't want to fail on you. I recommend a dealer, as they will do the Vacuum issue free of charge. If they try to charge you for parts or labor on a recall, they are trying to rob you. The NHSTA states that they must make full restitution to rectify recalled safety issues.

Quick Reply: Need Help...545i brakes get's stiffed