E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like the title says, while leaving work this morning I was backing out of my spot and didn't know that the bolts securing the curb stop to the parking lot were sticking up and they hooked the bottom front of my bumper. As I backed out it ripped the right side of the bumper out, all the clips and screws in front of the right tire that secure the underskirt thing to the bumper, all the way along the bottom of the bumper to the middle. I was able to wedge it back into place so as of now it's not noticeable, but it needs to be replaced. I'm guessing I need the underskirt pieces for the right front tire and along the whole front of my car, along with a new bumper. I was looking at real OEM and was able to find a primed bumper for about $500, couldn't find anything else. Any suggestions? I'm pretty sure I'm fucked

PS, I would post pics but I don't really want to pull it back off, it's wedged back up pretty good and don't wanna chance it
Old 05-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

that sucks.
you may be able to salvage the bumper if no damage is noticeable. take out the fasteners and maybe add washers to the ripped holes.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Members

Yeah, I thought about that, but how in the hell is someone supposed to do something like that? once everything is put back in place there is absolutely no way to reach the backside of the screws. It's sealed pretty tight, am I missing something?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport

Probably in through the fender wells for the nuts/bolts for the side of the front bumper that meets the fender. I should know - I did the same damn thing to my 300C SRT8 a few weeks after I picked it up. I wound up doing what was mentioned - used washers and nobody knew any better. Good luck, dude. I know the feeling very well.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by akfirepro
Yeah, I thought about that, but how in the hell is someone supposed to do something like that? once everything is put back in place there is absolutely no way to reach the backside of the screws. It's sealed pretty tight, am I missing something?
there arent a whole lot of fasteners. there are a few that you can see in the wheel well, a couple just above the lower air dam pointing upward, and several along the top, above the grill.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I had a similar problem with the cheap ass replica bumper from umnitza. The structure for the clips is jut not strong enough for repeated disengaging. So they broke. I was able to get a thin piece of aluminum shaped it to fit the horizontal tab at top. Size was maybe 3/4x2" use some rivet it secure it underneath the support. Slide bumper in position and drill a small hole through the metal for the upper screw. Next I did the same for the vertical clips x2 and shot a screw there too. Worked well!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

stock bumper? i would look on craigslist for a replacement OEM bumper, you always find people selling theirs after a mtech swap and usually pretty cheap because they just need it gone.

also, i would think you could contact the property owner reguarding that tire stop, it is not suppose to have those metal rods sticking up like that. most people dont know, but parking lots have insurance atleast most do, seen people get reimbursed for shopping carts hitting cars and leaving dents. properties responsibility to maintain that the shopping carts are not flying around in the parking lot hitting cars. worth a shot. take photos, try make a claim.

also, how did the rods get inside the bumper without you hitting them head on? i would imagine you would hit them when you pulled in.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

I had this happen to me in my 325iT when I was at my dealer backing out of a parking spot and snagged the metal rod. The dealer sent me to a local BMW-approved body shop who fixed it for $135 parts and labour (dealer paid, no questions asked). The underside part fell off on the highway and I had a jolt when I ran over it shattering it into thousands of pieces. In my case, I didn't need a bumper only the underside pieces.
Take it to a body shop to see what is really needed. My 2 cents.
GL
Old 05-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, Sound, Cold weather package, Steptronic, Logic 7, Sunshades, CD changer in glove. Alpine White, with light tan Dakota leather, Good seats. Just out of warranty. Previous: 1997 528i. Sold '09. 1981 320i. Sold '89.

I need new ones for my 545i. They fall off everywhere, tear, etc. What is the good material to buy and what the hell are they called? Skirts? Lips? What are the ones people want to sell to buy fancier ones?