E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on whether and which BMW to buy and love and hold till dea

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 (07/03) 530i, Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Leather, Premium Package, Sports Package, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenons, euro red reflectors, K/N air filter, Falken 452's

If you like super responsive handling, surgically accurate steering, and awesome acceleration, all on a sedan that fits you like a glove...then you need an e60. The near 50/50 weight balance sitting on the finely tuned sports suspension provides an absolutely mind blowing driving experience.
Combine all that with the stunningly beautiful e60 body style, complimented by the sporty yet subtle lines, and that one of a kind angel eye/eyebrow look, and you will be driving possibly one of the sexiest sports sedans ever created.

EDIT- oh yea, I have been out of warranty for 2 years, and have not spent ONE DOLLAR on anything but regular maintenance and tires.......lots of tires......
I live here in the metroplex, the AC is excellent.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Lexus RX330. Looking to buy 2010 535i.

You guys are fantastic. Perhaps it's worth buying the car just because of the community of people who are brought together by this automobile - people of incredibly good taste, love of fine machines, classy and adventurous.

I do appreciate all of you taking the time to respond to my post. I am relieved to hear that the A/C should not be a problem in the Texas summer. I agree wholeheartedly with Rik. IMHO, the BMW is the most beautiful car ever made. There's just something about the car's construction, viewed from all angles, that exhibits a dynamic sportiness yet classy elegance, whether parked or in motion. In doing my research for this purchase, I've noticed all the posts about the "horrible" Bangle design of the rear end of this car. Personally, I love the "Bangle butt," and fail to see the design flaw that so many people whine on endlessly about.

The 535i seems like a better buy to me than the 750 series because the six cylinder engine will be more economical to run, it has fewer electronic non-moving parts, and hence, less to break, and is, as many of you have pointed out, sportier.

I'm not inclined to wait for the next iteration of the 5 series due out in 18 months, because I've learned from my experience that it is almost always a good idea to not buy a new model in its first year. Besides the fact that I'd like to get rid of my 2004 Lexus now. Also, my dealer is telling me that he should be receiving the 2010 model, the last year of the E60 series, soon - and that the new model style will be the 2011. I'm thinking that by the latest model (whether the 2010 or the 2009), BMW should have fixed all of the problems previous years' models may have had.

I really, really appreciate your comments and suggestions, and most especially feel more confident buying this car based on your assurances that rumors of its poor reliability are exaggerated.

best wishes to all
Old 05-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Lexus RX330. Looking to buy 2010 535i.

And one question for Rik: Do you have an opinion on which dealer in the Metroplex provides the best customer service? O.k. a second question: and is there one that is most likely to give me the best deal on a new purchase?
Thanks.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Members

Get the 5er you wont regret it. I'm in Fl and the A/C is cold as ICE.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Welcome to the forum! I can confirm that the A/C is more than adequate, even in the south. As far as reliability, each model year seems to have different little issues (and some major ones here and there I guess), but my 02 served me well from 36K to 94K. I replaced the alternator and battery right after purchase (one killed the other), and the thermostat around 90K miles. Other than that, just a couple minor issues. Also, it handled exactly the same when I traded it in as it did the day I bought it.

Good luck with your decision. I vote for the 5 also!
Old 05-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Originally Posted by consultingdoc' post='886008' date='May 21 2009, 07:15 PM
You guys are fantastic. Perhaps it's worth buying the car just because of the community of people who are brought together by this automobile - people of incredibly good taste, love of fine machines, classy and adventurous.

I do appreciate all of you taking the time to respond to my post. I am relieved to hear that the A/C should not be a problem in the Texas summer. I agree wholeheartedly with Rik. IMHO, the BMW is the most beautiful car ever made. There's just something about the car's construction, viewed from all angles, that exhibits a dynamic sportiness yet classy elegance, whether parked or in motion. In doing my research for this purchase, I've noticed all the posts about the "horrible" Bangle design of the rear end of this car. Personally, I love the "Bangle butt," and fail to see the design flaw that so many people whine on endlessly about.

The 535i seems like a better buy to me than the 750 series because the six cylinder engine will be more economical to run, it has fewer electronic non-moving parts, and hence, less to break, and is, as many of you have pointed out, sportier.

I'm not inclined to wait for the next iteration of the 5 series due out in 18 months, because I've learned from my experience that it is almost always a good idea to not buy a new model in its first year. Besides the fact that I'd like to get rid of my 2004 Lexus now. Also, my dealer is telling me that he should be receiving the 2010 model, the last year of the E60 series, soon - and that the new model style will be the 2011. I'm thinking that by the latest model (whether the 2010 or the 2009), BMW should have fixed all of the problems previous years' models may have had.

I really, really appreciate your comments and suggestions, and most especially feel more confident buying this car based on your assurances that rumors of its poor reliability are exaggerated.

best wishes to all
I've been on a ton of forums, and this one is by far the best one memberwise and knowledge. I have a 525 which is considered slow to all the other cars. And I smile every time I drive it, its a great joy. I can only imagine how nice a 535 would be to drive. Not to mention you can add a juicebox 3 mod for 600 which adds 80HP. I know once you get it, you will love it and not regret it. I think the 535 would be more reliable than the 750. The 750 would be alot bigger vehicle too.

Regarding Texas, I live further south where it gets hotter than Dallas. All this week I've thought to myself how fantastic the AC is, I have it on the lowest sometimes and I have to point it away because of how cold it gets. I have a 04 and it gets ice cold extremely fast.

Heres a picture of the heat that I'm talking about.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Members

I was in Volvos and Acuras prior to BMW. The Bimmer is raw fun. I have a 535xi (some winter wiather here). Pins me to the seat when accelerating like the others did not. Hugs the corners like you don't feel them...etc

My advice: Get one now. And if you are buying, make sure it has all the toys. I have winter, premium, nav, sirius. I would add comfort seats. Infinite adjustability for you and the wife on long rides (wish I had them).

Also, we moved my wife from an MDX to an X3. For the first time in her life, she enjoys driving!!!
Also moved my son from an RSX to a 328xi, and driving is fun again!

So do it! But get it well equipped. You don't want to pay $50,000+++ only to have to add something else.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

If you like crisp handling and don't need mega leg room, get the 5, not the 7.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

Hey Doc:

Welcome to the forum. I too think you will be pleased with a 2010 E60 5 series, but of course I too am biased as I just put a new 535xiT in my garage to replace the 2006 530xiT that was destroyed by an idiot who collided head-on the car when my wife was driving. Oh yes, my wife is fine - thank you BMW.

In my view the 7 series is designed to be the chairman's car, the big man sits in the back abnd has a driver. The Five is an executive saloon, as our cousins in the UK would say. It is much more the sport sedan - a driver's car. If you fit in the automobile, i.e. you don't wear size 14 shoes and have not tried out for the Lakers, I believe it is the model of choice.

A/C - the four 5 series cars that I have owned have all been satisfactory. While I live in CT, I have driven to and through the mid-west in summer - you don't know what is hot until you spend a summer in St. Louis where I grew up - 100F and New Orleans humidity. My 1983 533i sometimes ran a little hot in slow traffic, my '91 E34 M5 was fine and my 2006 530xiT was even better. The only problem I had was in the 2006, which froze its evaporator in 110F weather in Kansas. The fault was in the software, and once the car was updated, we never had another problem. Moreover, that car was a dark blue, not a color I would choose for Dallas - white anyone?

Reliability: When I bought my 533 in 1982, Deider the service manager and co-owner of the old Trans-Atlantic BMW in Manhattan (NY) told me you can pay me now or pay me a whole lot more later. BMWs are complex machines built to close tolerances. You can find a lot of advice in this forum and at the BMW Car Club of America. Most say that if one plans to own the car a long time (say 10 years and 150,000 miles) one should change fluids more frequently than in the current BMW maintenance schedule. If you plan to lease the car for three years, or expect to get bored and sell it in five - then enjoy free BMW's maintenance program.

I had two problems with my '91 M5: 1) a busted distributor cap at 110,000 miles and 2) a water pump failure at 155,000 miles. In both cases, I should have done preventative maintenance on both items at 100,000 miles. At present, BMWs, like many other modern cars, no longer use distributors and the E60 has a water pump driven by an electric motor - I will look into replacement when the time comes. However, I do recall many items in the M5 that were fixed under warranty. It also had a problematic Alpine CD changer.

As I recall, I had only two warranty items on my 2006 xiT. One was the aforementioned software update for the A/C and the other was a repair of a cupholder! Other items charged under warranty, were either initiated by my Service Associate or nits to get a software upgrade.

As noted above, the 2010 is the last year of the E60/61 model. As often is the case, BMW has incentivized buyers of the 2010 with a Value Package. Mine included: Leather Seating - standard; iPod/USB - standard; Cold Weather Package - standard (the latter may not mean a lot for folks in Dallas, but it sure in nice in the North East.) Other models may have differing offerings, but I calculate that mine was worth over $2,000. Then too, 2009 in a good year to deal. I got my car for less (much) than 2% over dealer invoice.

Finally, the 2010 has the new iDrive (ver. 4.0) if one buys the navigation system - and they then throw in HD radio for free. The new system, same as on the new 7 Series and the Navi equipped 3's, is much faster and more capable. I can scroll the end of my iPod's playlist in 20 seconds vs. the 3 minutes in my 2006. In addition, it can go well over the 254-playlist limit of the old system. I know that's more detail that you wanted, but I just wanted to point out a couple of system improvements. It will take you time to learn the system, unfortunately.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

I think that is the first time I have heard any comments about the inadequacy of BMW air conditioners. Living in Houston the A/C works great and cools the car quickly, and my car is black/black. The A/C worked great in my other two BMWs as well.
I have 75,000 miles on my car and have not had any issues with the A/C or anything else, for that matter. My car has not been to the dealer for anything other than maintenance issues such as, fluid changes, filters, and Idrive scheduled services.
Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Need advice on whether and which BMW to buy and love and hold till dea