E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need Advice - Should I replace my tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 10:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2010
Default Need Advice - Should I replace my tires?

I need some advice. I'm going to be selling my car but it needs to rear tires. I didn't want to buy 2 new so I tried to find 2 used ones but I had no luck.

Does it make sense to buy a set of 4 that is used (practically new) for about $500 (Fuzion made by Bridgestone) or should I sell the car as it is? I'm worried that the buyer will expect me to lower the price.

Also when I bought the car it only has 1 FOB. I did some research and it seems that it would cost me about $200 to get one programmed from the dealer. Is it worth me getting one?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2013, 11:57 AM
Contributors

Default Selling your car privately

Originally Posted by bluechipBMW
I need some advice. I'm going to be selling my car but it needs to rear tires. I didn't want to buy 2 new so I tried to find 2 used ones but I had no luck.
Does it make sense to buy a set of 4 that is used (practically new) for about $500 (Fuzion made by Bridgestone) or should I sell the car as it is? I'm worried that the buyer will expect me to lower the price.
Also when I bought the car it only has 1 FOB. I did some research and it seems that it would cost me about $200 to get one programmed from the dealer. Is it worth me getting one?
Thanks!
Two good questions. A lot depends on the overall condition and age of your car. Some wear and tear is expected and some repairs would pay off more than others.

First - the tires. Unless your rears are at or below the tread wear indicators I would not put on new tires. Nor would I put on used tires! I would tell your prospective buyer(s) that your selling price is based on the buyer needing to buy and install new tires.

Next - key fob. So many of these seem to disappear when used cars are sold. Some are "stolen" by dealer employees and wind up in the secondary market (ebay / craigs list etc). They are so easy to pocket and disappear that I find it ANNOYING. Since you didn't make it a priority to have the seller you originally bought from provide the add'l fob I think you're going to pay it forward and let the next buyer face the music!

Now, if your car is a pristine, loaded, 2 year old e60 with complete repair and maintenance records I totally negate what I wrote above. Put on 4 new Michelin or Bridgestone tires; buy and program a second fob and raise the price $2000! Then work down from there.

GLWS!

Last edited by luigi524td; 05-31-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2010

Thanks for the reply! What you said makes a lot of sense.

It's a 2008 with CPO until 4/2014 and it is in excellent condition. I think the only downfall it's doesn't have a couple of the features that a lot of people want. For example comfort access, logic 7, and HUD but it has everything else with only 48k miles. It has the NAV with real time traffic and paddle shifters and sport mode.

It's a great car so I think someone will buy it regardless of the tires as long as I price it right. Based on KBB I will probably list it for $31k with a little wiggle room.