E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need advice please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Tonight i was crusing at around 80km/h when bling bling tyre puncture. I then pull up the car and inspect visualy the tires feeling for any loose of pressure. Nothing seemed wrong. I start moving at around 80lm/h and after 10-15 km i pull up again to inspect. Nothing wrong at that time also. Now i couldn't tell if any of the tires lost pressure but i presume that even if the car has RF tires i should see visualy a bit of loose pressure or at least feel the tire soften a bit no?
Then i went off again and i started to feel for any weird behaivoir from the handling or steering. Nothing wrong. Hmmm...i then pulled over re-initialised the RPA system and thought this way: if one or more tires are loosing pressure then even now after re-initialisation the tire puncture message should re-appear in a couple of km or so since it's not like it lost pressure than and now it's not. After that nothing appeard and reached home with another 100km on the clock. Nothing special now either (and i suspect that even with the stiffen tire side walls one should be able to spot a flat tire).

PS: After re-initial i reached even top speeds (255km/h) since i was on a highway.

So what do you guys think? Could it be just an error? How can i properly inspect for smth wrong without going through all the effort of getting all 4 tires down and analised?! Shouldn't the message reappear tomorrow or within the next days if smth really was wrong?Thanx
Old 06-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

well...ill be honest with you..visually it is "almost" impossible to tell which RFT tyre is puctured. espically if its a small and slow punctre and you dont know which tyre to look at. as for handling that, just like the visual aspect of the tyre, does not change and become noticeable untill you have lost a siginificat amount of air from the tyre...
now, about the message should reappear on your screen if there is a real puncture, at most within two days but if you use your car for long distaces i suspect that the message will reapear tomorrow...
if you have a presure gauge..i suggest you get your tyre presures checked just to be sure and know which tyre has the problem and to keep an eye on that tyre...
but i hope its just a false alarm...i really do...
Old 06-12-2006, 12:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by madoon' post='296084' date='Jun 12 2006, 03:32 AM
well...ill be honest with you..visually it is "almost" impossible to tell which RFT tyre is puctured. espically if its a small and slow punctre and you dont know which tyre to look at. as for handling that, just like the visual aspect of the tyre, does not change and become noticeable untill you have lost a siginificat amount of air from the tyre...
now, about the message should reappear on your screen if there is a real puncture, at most within two days but if you use your car for long distaces i suspect that the message will reapear tomorrow...
if you have a presure gauge..i suggest you get your tyre presures checked just to be sure and know which tyre has the problem and to keep an eye on that tyre...
but i hope its just a false alarm...i really do...
Thank you very much! I'll do that.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:01 AM
Senior Members

Not sure if you have run-flats or proper tyres?

Either way - you may not necessarily SEE evidence of the puncture.

Check your tyre pressure every day or so to see if any tyres are loosing air - I had a VERY slow puncture which visually looked fine for several weeks, but kept activating the warning bongs.

If your pressures are constant and the bonging doesn't come back - it could just be a false alarm - I have had one of these since - which I think was due to an odd road surface (undulating) confusing the sensor.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='296264' date='Jun 12 2006, 12:01 PM
Not sure if you have run-flats or proper tyres?

Either way - you may not necessarily SEE evidence of the puncture.

Check your tyre pressure every day or so to see if any tyres are loosing air - I had a VERY slow puncture which visually looked fine for several weeks, but kept activating the warning bongs.

If your pressures are constant and the bonging doesn't come back - it could just be a false alarm - I have had one of these since - which I think was due to an odd road surface (undulating) confusing the sensor.
Yes i was exactly on that kind of surface at rather medium speeds 80-90km/h. Undulating rather quickly.
BTW i have RF tires. Goodyear NCT 5. I don't know where you understood that but it doesn't matter. You gave me hope...
Old 06-12-2006, 03:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='296287' date='Jun 12 2006, 06:00 PM
Yes i was exactly on that kind of surface at rather medium speeds 80-90km/h. Undulating rather quickly.
BTW i have RF tires. Goodyear NCT 5. I don't know where you understood that but it doesn't matter. You gave me hope...
Just check the tire pressure first but I wouldn't be doing 225km/h if I were you.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='296304' date='Jun 12 2006, 02:40 PM
Just check the tire pressure first but I wouldn't be doing 225km/h if I were you.
I was with a girl that really insisted on doing that ya know?! I took it very carefull and was very cautious, then i gradualy increased speed upt o 160 km/h. Nothing wrong, computer seemed fine, nothing out of place, tried even zig-zaging hard at speeds around 90km/h (traffic was very light), nothing wrong except the impatciente gurl...
Old 06-12-2006, 05:26 AM
Members

You won't visually see any difference in tire pressure if you have runflats. You'll have to use a pressure guage to see which one is flat. Once your puncture your tire, you have about 100 miles of drive left on them.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

Originally Posted by marc545i' post='296344' date='Jun 12 2006, 02:26 PM
You won't visually see any difference in tire pressure if you have runflats. You'll have to use a pressure guage to see which one is flat. Once your puncture your tire, you have about 100 miles of drive left on them.

Not always the case. I had a runflat blow out & pulled up after just a few (less than ten) miles having not exceeded 40mph - the sidewall had detatched from the tread along 1/3 of the radius - not good at all.

Now I've swapped all four to 'normal' tyres but since then the runflat indicator is going off every few days - I'm booked in for BMW to de-sensitise it - normal tyres alter their rolling radius more than runflats with temperature changes.