E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice 550 hit while in park by drunk driver

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 08:19 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i m sport lci
Angry need advice 550 hit while in park by drunk driver

As the title states my car was parked on the top floor of the garage so i can see it from my bedroom only 1 other car parks there..... A drunk women backs up driving a cadilliac srx slams into my car pinning it against the cement wall ,which thats what stopped the two cars from moving anymore and after she moves fwd after the impact and backs up again and swipes the nose with her side and then takes off.. luckily there were cameras and she hit a tow truck doing a repo in the garage and also took off on him between all the witnesses we got her info and police went to her house...Now heres were I need your its a 2010 550i msport so i have the m tec bumper but i was thinking of getting the hamman front lip and installing an m5 rear bumper with a magnaflow quad exaust... if i take it to a bmw collision center the job will will done right and put the car at pre loss condition.....seeing that the car was in park *auto* with no parking brake so possible parking pin/ transmission strain,truck pushed the car down ward with its weight so possible suspension damage, hood is warped and pressed against left fender,rear bumper damaged and maybe camera agale but looked like body flexed at impacted,headlight washers damaged*adaptive headlights and possible more damage behind visual...but If I take it to a reputable collision center ill be able to get the m5 rear bumper and frt lip and a lil more with them... lemme know what you guys think thank you all ahead!!
Attached Thumbnails need advice 550 hit while in park by drunk driver-hit-2.jpg   need advice 550 hit while in park by drunk driver-20131220_215216.jpg   need advice 550 hit while in park by drunk driver-3.jpg  

Last edited by doughboy540; 12-21-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:03 AM
New Members

Angry

What worries me the most is possible damage to the transmission *SAT trans* does anyone kno how these transmission work seeing that only a button has to be pressed to put it in park and what possible damage could of been done by pushing and dragging the car in reverse while off and in park? once again thank you sorry for all the questions im just worried this car wont be the same knowing how sensitive and fragile these cars can be.......

Last edited by doughboy540; 12-21-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

pray they've got good insurance driving a car like a cadillac.
i'm by no means a collision expert, but the damage *aesthetically* doesn't look bad.
is the car a metallic or a sapphire paint? the reason i ask is because paint match will be a pita and some blending will surely be added to the bill.. if its just a jet black like a 668 paint will be as simple as it gets
the cheapest option will be to fix the front bumper as opposed to a new one.. since those headlights are expensive i'm assuming an estimator/adjustor will want to fix it if it isn't horrible to save money on parts.
as for the mechanical aspect, i have no idea. take it for a drive and see if its fcked?
like i said, i'm not an expert but currently receiving technical training to be in the collision field

have any pics of the rear of the car?
from the sounds, since it was pushed into a wall (if i understood that correctly) hopefully the transmission wont be damaged and the bumper took the majority of the impact along with supports. same thing applies to the rear bumper, if the labor cost exceeds the price of a new one it will be replaced and possibly you will be bale to do the m style rear. from the pics, the bumper doesnt look "smashed"
good luck, i feel your pain. i couldnt imagine this happening to my car
Old 12-21-2013, 01:15 PM
New Members

It looks alot worst in person headlights completly shattered and just found out it was pushed back far enoungh to damage my ac snitzer trunk spoiler fml
Old 12-21-2013, 02:43 PM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

On a minor tangent - I know the transmission will self-shift into park if you have the door open (found out by accident while trying to move the car on the driveway), so it'll engage when the car is moving - and it's a rather violent feeling. Based on that, I don't think bumping the car while it's parked would have more effect on the transmission.

I've often wondered, however, how fast the car has to be moving before pressing the "P" button won't shift to park.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N62

Viewing those pics really sinks my stomach...especially since my car looks like yours! If I was in your situation, I would take my car to a BMW collision center -- the front lip and rear bumper can always come later. You have aluminum body panels which are damaged, and they are certified to repair/replace them. Moreover, a BMW tech will be diagnosing and repairing any electronic or mechanical issues.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I agree with Bill, the damage there isn't that bad. I also think my biggest worry would be the tranny. Not sure how far the car actually moved while in park and if the wheels dragged. I would insist on having it checked out and noting so that if in the near future or whatever timeframe is acceptable that if it fails due to this it will be covered. Obviously, they won't change it if appears to be working properly. But honestly, I doubt there is anything wrong with it. Clearly your bumper will be replace and if the rear if cur into the substrate they should change that one too. It can be repaired, but I would insist that they are both replaces. Light is trashed and fender may be too. It's hard to see the car being that its black. Bottom line is most of the time this crap goes in a data base so when you go to sell you could take a hit with the car fax. Some companies don't report but most do. But it in the end, she should be back to normal. Now for you swapping out bumpers, if you talk to the repair place they might let you pay difference for the bumpers but I doubt there is much of that as they are all pretty close. If you go to BMW chance are they will say no, but it's worth asking. They can be a pain sometimes... Or you can find a good indy body shop near you. Go there and look at their work. It should be a neat and organized place. Clean, to a point with what appears to be semi modern equipment. Meaning, make sure they are not painting in a barn or something. Before you drop car off check them out on the BB and any local complaints. Take these complaints with common sense and see how they respond to them. If they responded in a name calling way like ebay, avoid them. and lastly, DO NOT COMPLETE THE FINAL PAYMENT TO THE SHOP UNTIL YOU ARE 100% SATISFIED. ONCE YOU DRIVE AWAY, IT'S HARD TO GET REPAIRS MADE ETC IN MOST CASES. NO BULLSHIT THAT THE PAINT WILL MATCH BETTER AS IT AGES, THAT IS NOT TRUE. There should be no need to return afterwards so don't let them tell you to bring it back, if you do do not pay until you do and you are satisfied. This little tip will keep you from having lots of headaches...
Old 12-24-2013, 09:51 AM
New Members

thanx guys ive put a claim in nd waiting to get thru the holidays to have the appraiser come and see the car... I decided to take it to a certified bmw collision center just to be safe this time around.. feel free to drop in and leave advice while i go thru this process